Lance Armstrong - 2 More Drug Allegations

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Lance Armstrong will always stand as one of the greatest athletes of all time.

Even if he comes out and admits to using PEDs, that won’t change a thing in my mind.

Defeating cancer, winning one of the most grueling sporting events in the world seven times, and being unbelievably philanthropically oriented. It doesn’t get much better than that.[/quote]

I hope you’re joking about his philanthropic efforts. The guy is notorious for promising things in a public setting then ducking the bill when it’s time to pay up. He’s also apperantly one of the worlds biggest assholes. He sure can ride a bike though.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

Even if he comes out and admits to using PEDs, that won’t change a thing in my mind.

Defeating cancer, winning one of the most grueling sporting events in the world seven times, and being unbelievably philanthropically oriented. It doesn’t get much better than that.[/quote]

I hope you’re joking about his philanthropic efforts. The guy is notorious for promising things in a public setting then ducking the bill when it’s time to pay up. He’s also apperantly one of the worlds biggest assholes. He sure can ride a bike though.[/quote]

I’m not joking at all.

I can guarantee you that cancer research has received a much greater amount of money, publicity, and awareness because of Armstrong’s association with the disease.

Call him what you will or argue that he hasn’t donated enough, but the fight against cancer has no doubt been benefited by his work.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I hope you’re joking about his philanthropic efforts. The guy is notorious for promising things in a public setting then ducking the bill when it’s time to pay up. He’s also apperantly one of the worlds biggest assholes. He sure can ride a bike though.[/quote]

I doubt he’s the person he presents to the media, but I would guess the stories of his douchebaggery are equally as exaggerated as his media persona. In these cases, most people either worship at the individual’s altar or demonize him to the point of absurdity.

Also, snitches get stitches.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I’m not joking at all.

I can guarantee you that cancer research has received a much greater amount of money, publicity, and awareness because of Armstrong’s association with the disease.

Call him what you will or argue that he hasn’t donated enough, but the fight against cancer has no doubt been benefited by his work.[/quote]

Wouldn’t be surprised if his “efforts” are overblown. My most recent ex was working for Texas Tech University and Armstrong had scheduled some kind of press conference there and promised the school a couple hundred grand for the department. He got there, treated everyone in the department like shit, got to the podium, glad handed and smiled and promised this money to everyone so everyone thought “what a swell guy!!!” then immediately got on a plane and skipped out on the bill. I know two other people who’ve met him personally and they have similarly unflattering things to say.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I’m not joking at all.

Call him what you will or argue that he hasn’t donated enough, but the fight against cancer has no doubt been benefited by his work.[/quote]

Wouldn’t be surprised if his “efforts” are overblown. My most recent ex was working for Texas Tech University and Armstrong had scheduled some kind of press conference there and promised the school a couple hundred grand for the department. He got there, treated everyone in the department like shit, got to the podium, glad handed and smiled and promised this money to everyone so everyone thought “what a swell guy!!!” then immediately got on a plane and skipped out on the bill. I know two other people who’ve met him personally and they have similarly unflattering things to say.[/quote]

You can reference what ever stories or gossip you want. It’s pretty simple though:

(Cancer funding, publicity, awareness as a result of Lance Armstrong’s connection to the disease) > (Cancer funding, publicity, awareness without him)

Not to mention that he ditched his wife and kids who saw him through his recovery from cancer. Classless self-absorbed dick right there. But maybe that’s how one has to be to become the kind of champion he is/was.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I’m not joking at all.

Wouldn’t be surprised if his “efforts” are overblown. My most recent ex was working for Texas Tech University and Armstrong had scheduled some kind of press conference there and promised the school a couple hundred grand for the department. He got there, treated everyone in the department like shit, got to the podium, glad handed and smiled and promised this money to everyone so everyone thought “what a swell guy!!!” then immediately got on a plane and skipped out on the bill. I know two other people who’ve met him personally and they have similarly unflattering things to say.[/quote]

You can reference what ever stories or gossip you want. It’s pretty simple though:

(Cancer funding, publicity, awareness as a result of Lance Armstrong’s connection to the disease) > (Cancer funding, publicity, awareness without him)[/quote]

It’s not gossip brother. It happened, and it apperantly happened on several occasions. You can believe whatever you want, and that’s fine. I’ll leave this one be.

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:
Not to mention that he ditched his wife and kids who saw him through his recovery from cancer. Classless self-absorbed dick right there. But maybe that’s how one has to be to become the kind of champion he is/was.[/quote]

Didn’t want to bring this up 'cause the only 2 people that know what goes on in a relationship are the 2 in it, and we have no idea of how solid things were at the time of his diagnosis. But, you’re right that it does look like the biggest shithead move ever.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I’m not joking at all.

(Cancer funding, publicity, awareness as a result of Lance Armstrong’s connection to the disease) > (Cancer funding, publicity, awareness without him)[/quote]

It’s not gossip brother. It happened, and it apperantly happened on several occasions. You can believe whatever you want, and that’s fine. I’ll leave this one be.[/quote]

Your missing the point. I’m not arguing over whether we should give him the nicest person of the year award, and I never said he is a great man.

I simply said he was an amazing ATHLETE, who also brought a lot of money and attention to cancer.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Not to mention that he ditched his wife and kids who saw him through his recovery from cancer. Classless self-absorbed dick right there. But maybe that’s how one has to be to become the kind of champion he is/was.[/quote]

Didn’t want to bring this up 'cause the only 2 people that know what goes on in a relationship are the 2 in it, and we have no idea of how solid things were at the time of his diagnosis. But, you’re right that it does look like the biggest shithead move ever.[/quote]

At the time of his diagnosis, they stored his sperm for invitro, before he started getting chemo. And they ended up with 2 or 3 kids before he ditched them for Cheryl Crow.

This sounds like a debate I had in a bar one time with a bunch of guys. All in good fun but still had that “I really think your my dumbest friend ever” kinda style of argument.

It’s not really that shocking that he’s an ass. I’ve never really followed him so this is the first I’ve heard of his personality. It doesn’t surprise me though. There are assholes at every level of success. Just because he’s the best doesn’t mean he’s a good person.

And as far as Lance using whatever he did to be the fastest? For me, it rates right up there with my thoughts when Clinton got his balls tickled in the Oval Office… More power to ya man. I commend you on being a man who enjoys life.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I’m not joking at all.

It’s not gossip brother. It happened, and it apperantly happened on several occasions. You can believe whatever you want, and that’s fine. I’ll leave this one be.[/quote]

Your missing the point. I’m not arguing over whether we should give him the nicest person of the year award, and I never said he is a great man.

I simply said he was an amazing ATHLETE, who also brought a lot of money and attention to cancer.[/quote]

Fair enough.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Didn’t want to bring this up 'cause the only 2 people that know what goes on in a relationship are the 2 in it, and we have no idea of how solid things were at the time of his diagnosis. But, you’re right that it does look like the biggest shithead move ever.[/quote]

At the time of his diagnosis, they stored his sperm for invitro, before he started getting chemo. And they ended up with 2 or 3 kids before he ditched them for Cheryl Crow.[/quote]

Damn.

Sweet conjecture is sweet.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

You forgot banging & putting up with Sheryl Crow’s music for 3 years.

I’m not sure which is a rarer achievement.

His name is Lance for crissakes…of course he’s a douche.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]ericcartman wrote:
Sure, Lance quite possibly used PEDs. Barry Bonds too. But guess what? They both regularly outperformed tons of other top athletes who were also using PEDs.[/quote]

Simple as that.[/quote]

This why I disagree with this line of thinking. We know that Armstrong has only one testicle, and can survive just fine with one producing testosterone depending on the physiological circumstances.

Under “medical supervision” a recovering cancer patient like him would be allowed to take up to a ratio of 7:1 in synthetic testosterone to make up for any deficiencies in testosterone production. How much of an actual advantage testosterone provides an endurance athlete is up for discussion. Let’s just assume in this case, it did provide Lance with a clear advanatage over his competitors who were supposedly doped to the gills as well.

From what I understand Armstrong took advantage of this particular loophole. Armstrong allegedly raced at levels that exceeded this amount. To be allowed to take so much of it explains a lot. It explains Armstrong’s relationship between him and the Tour organizers and the UCI. It explains that even amongst dopers, there wasn’t a level playing field. This really rips a hole in the argument that “they all doped, so the best rider still won”.

My two cents.

[quote]JACKED71 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]ericcartman wrote:
Sure, Lance quite possibly used PEDs. Barry Bonds too. But guess what? They both regularly outperformed tons of other top athletes who were also using PEDs.[/quote]

Simple as that.[/quote]

This why I disagree with this line of thinking. We know that Armstrong has only one testicle, and can survive just fine with one producing testosterone depending on the physiological circumstances.

Under “medical supervision” a recovering cancer patient like him would be allowed to take up to a ratio of 7:1 in synthetic testosterone to make up for any deficiencies in testosterone production. How much of an actual advantage testosterone provides an endurance athlete is up for discussion. Let’s just assume in this case, it did provide Lance with a clear advanatage over his competitors who were supposedly doped to the gills as well.

From what I understand Armstrong took advantage of this particular loophole. Armstrong allegedly raced at levels that exceeded this amount. To be allowed to take so much of it explains a lot. It explains Armstrong’s relationship between him and the Tour organizers and the UCI. It explains that even amongst dopers, there wasn’t a level playing field. This really rips a hole in the argument that “they all doped, so the best rider still won”.

My two cents.

[/quote]

How long after do they give out the trt? last i checked there was abut 3 years span between his diagnosis and winning the tour. I cant say that helped him much unless he had lifetime access. I also dont think it rips a hole in any argument for those that dope. if armstong was taking 7:1 and someone who wasnt caught was taking 10:1 i dont see any argument at all.

The ratio for testing positive for testosterone is 4:1. The allowable T/E ratio was 7:1 for many years, it was lowered to 4:1 around the time LA retired (which might not be a coincidence, who really knows though). Armstrong raced at levels that exceeded this amount for years. The elevated levels of testosterone, along with the EPO/Hemassist that initially made his new “higher cadence” and improved power-to-weight possible. It wasn’t because he had dropped 15 or 20 pounds of weight while he was being treated with chemo. Concerning your second point, I am not sure about the 3 year span between diagnosis.

Look, Armstrong was no doubt one of the most talented, if not, the most talented cyclist of all time. There is no arguement there. That being said, some of the statements he has made during his career towards doping are comical to be quite honest. He has used this statement many times throughout his career “I had cancer, you must be a total fool if you think I would take any drugs after going through this”. Makes you want to question the guys morals and ethics.

I think nearly all top cyclists take something, and this explains how they get away with it.