T Nation

Lamest Squat Video Ever

My testosterone dropped 200 points watching this.

My 10 year old- wanna be a ballerina daughter has a better squat

Total sellout by Maurice Greene, a former world record holder in the 100M.

His body language at the end, is almost like he’s embarassed to be saying what he’s saying.

that was cute

partials have their place, other than that wow

What’s wrong with this video? She’s a sprinter, not a powerlifter or an Oly lifter. For her, the squat is pretty much just an assistance movement; the main part of the workout is when she’s actually doing her track work. Partial reps have their place, especially for an athlete who may not want to risk injury before a meet. The fact is that we’ve all at least tweaked ourselves somewhere at some point while squatting to or below parallel. Imagine what sort of effect a slightly pinched sciatic nerve would have on her training.

Aside from that, she runs the 100M (and she’s the British record holder in that event, so she’s doing something right). In that particular race, the start is the most important part and the quads are primarily engaged during the first five to six steps, or until the sprinter’s torso is fully upright. By performing partials, she’s primarily targeting the quads. Most leg injuries incurred while sprinting are in the hamstring region, which is what really comes into play once the sprinter is upright and approaching or sitting at top speed and maximum stride length. The glutes also experience a huge stimulus during the sprint when the back leg hyperextends slightly at the hip.

So sprinters really need a lot of mobility in the hip girdle and their hamstrings cannot be tight. While the start is important, the hamstrings are used more than the quads for about the last 75% of the race. Sprinters are constantly working on improving stride length, including running downhill and then onto flat ground where they try to maintain the exaggerated stride length that occurs when running downhill.

So when you think about it, given that sprinters generally do track work 6-7 days a week and most of the sprinting incorporates the hams more than the quads, they don’t need to emphasize a full range of motion while squatting. The fuller range simply engages the muscles that they stimulate everyday anyways, and at an added risk.

Also, the legs are never beyond hip-width apart while sprinting, except for the initial few steps, and even then only slightly. By squatting with a narrow stance instead of a normal stance, all she’s doing is making the movement more sport-specific.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Words, words and more words
[/quote]

Yea what he said

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Words, words and more words
[/quote]

Yea what he said[/quote]
Shit, my bad. I forgot that Cowboys fans can’t read.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Words, words and more words
[/quote]

Yea what he said[/quote]
Shit, my bad. I forgot that Cowboys fans can’t read.[/quote]

Lol who said I didnt read it.

Only a 49rs fan would have to expound to such extremes.

Go Seahawks

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Words, words and more words
[/quote]

Yea what he said[/quote]
Shit, my bad. I forgot that Cowboys fans can’t read.[/quote]

Lol who said I didnt read it.

Only a 49rs fan would have to expound to such extremes.

Go Seahawks[/quote]
Well, I never was much for moderation. Go Eagles.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Also, the legs are never beyond hip-width apart while sprinting, except for the initial few steps, and even then only slightly. By squatting with a narrow stance instead of a normal stance, all she’s doing is making the movement more sport-specific.[/quote]

Who cares about the narrow stance, it’s the depth that’s ridiculous. Full ROM = stronger quads and hams = better athlete. Sport specific training is a waste of time.

[quote]JoeyS wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Also, the legs are never beyond hip-width apart while sprinting, except for the initial few steps, and even then only slightly. By squatting with a narrow stance instead of a normal stance, all she’s doing is making the movement more sport-specific.[/quote]

Who cares about the narrow stance, it’s the depth that’s ridiculous. Full ROM = stronger quads and hams = better athlete. Sport specific training is a waste of time.[/quote]

Lol, so she can do better than world record holder?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Also, the legs are never beyond hip-width apart while sprinting, except for the initial few steps, and even then only slightly. By squatting with a narrow stance instead of a normal stance, all she’s doing is making the movement more sport-specific.[/quote]
sport-specific. lol. I should put you on ignore for that.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Also, the legs are never beyond hip-width apart while sprinting, except for the initial few steps, and even then only slightly. By squatting with a narrow stance instead of a normal stance, all she’s doing is making the movement more sport-specific.[/quote]
sport-specific. lol. I should put you on ignore for that.[/quote]

lol

I’m totally on board with DB on this one. I think it’s funny that so many people on here are hating on the ROM, when really, we’re talking about a specific athlete training for a specific event (which by the way, he has done better than pretty much everyone else IN THE WORLD). How many of you guys are sprinters? Do you guys KNOW that quarter squats are useless for sprinting? Do you KNOW how much carry-over there is for these versus full squats?
@PBAndy and JoeyS: what is wrong with the term “sport specific”? Seriously. Unless you believe Roger Federer should be using the same training template as Adrian Peterson, who should train like Andy Bolton, then you also believe in sport-specific training. Different training methods produce different results.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I’m totally on board with DB on this one. I think it’s funny that so many people on here are hating on the ROM, when really, we’re talking about a specific athlete training for a specific event (which by the way, he has done better than pretty much everyone else IN THE WORLD). How many of you guys are sprinters? Do you guys KNOW that quarter squats are useless for sprinting? Do you KNOW how much carry-over there is for these versus full squats?
@PBAndy and JoeyS: what is wrong with the term “sport specific”? Seriously. Unless you believe Roger Federer should be using the same training template as Adrian Peterson, who should train like Andy Bolton, then you also believe in sport-specific training. Different training methods produce different results.[/quote]
are you serious with this shit? You are gonna tell me she’s getting an effective workout right now?

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I’m totally on board with DB on this one. I think it’s funny that so many people on here are hating on the ROM, when really, we’re talking about a specific athlete training for a specific event (which by the way, he has done better than pretty much everyone else IN THE WORLD). How many of you guys are sprinters? Do you guys KNOW that quarter squats are useless for sprinting? Do you KNOW how much carry-over there is for these versus full squats?
@PBAndy and JoeyS: what is wrong with the term “sport specific”? Seriously. Unless you believe Roger Federer should be using the same training template as Adrian Peterson, who should train like Andy Bolton, then you also believe in sport-specific training. Different training methods produce different results.[/quote]
are you serious with this shit? You are gonna tell me she’s getting an effective workout right now?
[/quote]

You know this is a demonstration video right? Not an actual workout?

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I’m totally on board with DB on this one. I think it’s funny that so many people on here are hating on the ROM, when really, we’re talking about a specific athlete training for a specific event (which by the way, he has done better than pretty much everyone else IN THE WORLD). How many of you guys are sprinters? Do you guys KNOW that quarter squats are useless for sprinting? Do you KNOW how much carry-over there is for these versus full squats?
@PBAndy and JoeyS: what is wrong with the term “sport specific”? Seriously. Unless you believe Roger Federer should be using the same training template as Adrian Peterson, who should train like Andy Bolton, then you also believe in sport-specific training. Different training methods produce different results.[/quote]
are you serious with this shit? You are gonna tell me she’s getting an effective workout right now?
[/quote]

You know this is a demonstration video right? Not an actual workout?
[/quote]
so let’s put a quarter on each side of the barbell. I repeat… You are gonna tell me she’s getting an effective workout right now?

I’ll translate what Mo Greene said for you guys: I used to train like an athlete and set world records in the 100 meter sprint. Now I’m fat and out of shape, and I need money so I’m pimping this new super easy training style so fat lazy people have no problems forking out big bucks for me to train them in a manner in which they don’t even have to work hard! while fooling themselves into thinking they’re training (just like champion sprinters train, wink wink).

Sport specific? weight training in a “sport specific” fashion is a myth. As no bullshit people like Wendler will tell you, weight training is GPP, it’s not training for the sport.