LaLanne, The Best Ever

Just a shout out to the best…The Man who even inspired Arnold.
Who was even close to LaLanne in fitness and conditioning in 20th Century?
NO ONE, that’s who, and anyone who even reads his accomplishments will
only think…‘Respect, I can’t EVEN come close to what Lalanne acheived…respect’.

Age 40: Swam the length of the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge underwater with 140 pounds of equipment, including two air tanksâ?¦ an undisputed world record.

1955 Age 41: Swam, handcuffed, from Alcatraz to Fishermans Wharf in
San Francisco, CA.

1956 Age 42: Set a world record of 1,033 pushups in 23 minutes on â??You Asked for It, a TV Show with Art Baker.

1957 Age 43: Swam the treacherous Golden Gate Channel, towing a 2,500-pound cabin cruiser. This involved fighting the cold, swift ocean currents that made the 1 mile swim a 6 �½ mile test of strength and endurance.

1958 Age 44: Maneuvered a paddleboard 30 miles, 9 ½ hours non-stop from Farallon Islands to the San Francisco shore.

1959 Age 45: Completed 1,000 pushups and 1,000 chin-ups in 1 hours and 22
minutes… The Jack LaLanne Show goes nationwide that year

1974 Age 60: Swam from Alcatraz Island to Fishermanâ??s Wharf, for a second time handcuffed, shackled and towing a 1,000-pound boat.

1975 Age 61: Swam the length of the Golden Gate Bridge, underwater, for a second time handcuffed, shackled and towing a 1,000-pound boat.

1976 Age 62: Commemorating the 'Spirit of '76, swam 1 mile in Long Beach Harbor, handcuffed, shackled and towing 13 boats (representing the 13 original colonies) containing 76 people.

1979 Age 65: Towed 65 boats filled with 6,500-pounds of Lousiana Pacific wood pulp while handcuffed and shackled in Lake Ashinoko, near Tokyo, Japan.

1980 Age 66: Towed 10 boats in North Miami, Florida filled with 77 people for over a mile in less than 1 hour.

1984 Age 70: Handcuffed, shackled and fighting strong winds and currents, towed 70 boats with 70 people from the Queenâ??s Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary, 1 �½ miles.
1992 Age 78: Academy of Body Building and Fitness Award

1994 Age 80: State of California Governorâ??s Council on Physical Fitness Lifetime Achievement Award

1996 Age 82: Dwight D. Eisenhower Fitness Award

1999 Age 85: Spirit of Muscle Beach Award

2002 Age 88: Jack receives his very own star on the Hollywood Blvd. Walk of Fame

2004 Age 90: Jack celebrates his birthday with a major media blitz in New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. ESPN Classic runs a 24 Hour marathon of the original Jack LaLanne Shows

2005 Age 91: Received the Jack Webb Award from the Los Angeles Police Historical Society, the Arnold Classic Lifetime Achievement Award, Interglobalâ??s International Infomercial Award, the Freddie, Medical Media Public Service Award, and he was a Free Spirit honoree at Al Neuharthâ??s Freedom Fourm.

2007 Age 93: Received the Treasures of Los Angeles Award, Lifetime Achievement Award from Muscle Beach, and the Y.M.C.A. Impact Award.

2008 Age 94: Inducted into the California Hall of Fame, Parker Seminars Award, received the honorary degree of Doctor of Humanities from the Southern California University of Health Sciences, receives the People of Vision Award from the RP International, receives the Heroes Humanity Award, and was inducted into the Gallery of Legends hosted by the World Acrobatics Society.

2009 Age 95: Jack receives Lifetime Achievement Award from Club Industry. Jack LaLanne days were observed in San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Jan. 23, 2011 - DEAD

No Shit Jersey Boy…Bruce Lee is as well.

yeah Irish, uncalled for.

I agree you’d be hard pressed to find better records of aging well. Inspiring to me as I turn 60 next year.

I still remember sheets of paper that would go with his TV show sitting around our house when I was a kid.

Yeah, truly one of the fittest men in recorded history.

Without a doubt was a Legend… and was very hardcore for certain, ‘FightinIrish’ must be too young to
give the man his due and maybe only knew him from his Juicer Informercials.

He fought tooth and nail to bring BodyBuilding/Conditioning to the forefront when Doctors warned
against it saying it was harmful, would cause heart attacks, make you unflexible, etc.
How IGNORANT and wrong those Doctors were about 70 years ago.
He opened up the first Health Club in U.S., Invented a few Weight Machines decades ago which
are still being used in one form or another in Health Clubs and Homes worldwide, etc.
No one comes to all his achievements here including his near Superhuman abilities,
and should be admired even more for not braggin’ about all those accomplishments over the years including
the ones in the first post.
No one even today comes close to Jack, and likely never will for quite some time.

[quote]Josann wrote:
I agree you’d be hard pressed to find better records of aging well.[/quote]

Jack LaLanne is an absolute legend in the fitness industry. That’s undeniable. Not to diminish LaLanne at all, but it’s a big statement to say there are few “better” records of aging well.

Chet Yorton, Dave Draper, Robby Robinson, Steve Reeves, and even Helio Gracie all come to mind as maintaining a level of “fitness” (however we’re defining the term) and/or development into their 60s or 70s.

LaLanne, as a lifter/performer, was always more endurance-based so it’s no surprise that all of his records are along those lines. Guys like Yorton, Draper, and Robinson were successful bodybuilders and maintain a level of muscularity in their 60s or 70s that’s certainly comparable to what LaLanne did for someone his age. But if we’re talking about impact or influence on the industry, LaLanne is definitely on another level.

^^^^^^^
this clown is probably on the same drugs draper robinson etc are/were on…

bet a ton lalanne did it all clean…

“If man made it, don’t eat it!”

“If it tastes good, spit it out!”

-Jack LaLanne

These quotes impress me almost as much as his feats of strength!

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Josann wrote:
I agree you’d be hard pressed to find better records of aging well.[/quote]

Jack LaLanne is an absolute legend in the fitness industry. That’s undeniable. Not to diminish LaLanne at all, but it’s a big statement to say there are few “better” records of aging well.

Chet Yorton, Dave Draper, Robby Robinson, Steve Reeves, and even Helio Gracie all come to mind as maintaining a level of “fitness” (however we’re defining the term) and/or development into their 60s or 70s.

LaLanne, as a lifter/performer, was always more endurance-based so it’s no surprise that all of his records are along those lines. Guys like Yorton, Draper, and Robinson were successful bodybuilders and maintain a level of muscularity in their 60s or 70s that’s certainly comparable to what LaLanne did for someone his age. But if we’re talking about impact or influence on the industry, LaLanne is definitely on another level.[/quote]

The maintenance of muscularity into advanced age is not anywhere near on par with the caliber of strength/endurance feats of LaLanne. Throw drugs/test replacement into the picture and that advanced age muscularity becomes a bigger joke.

No doubt there is/was specific dietary parameters and regimented intense training in the lives of these guys but…

Yorton - He enjoyed his D-bol like many others of the 60s.

Draper - The most impressive feat he did in my opinion was pulling himself out of the sewer of alcoholism and turning his life around.

Reeves - Many still hold his build as the ideal. Too bad he passed away relatively early; his 70s.

Robinson - A black guy who is still jacked in his senior years! NO WAY, REALLY??? How about a dime a dozen!!! Every local gym has atleast one and every detention center has no less than one hundred! Not impressed.

Gracie - Too superior to be mentioned in the same paragraph with bodybuilders.

[quote]spk wrote:
^^^^^^^
this clown is probably on the same drugs draper robinson etc are/were on…[/quote]
Watch your mouth if you’re going to start throwing around accusations/insinuations. Unless you were trying to be funny, but given your post history, you don’t get the benefit of that doubt.

[quote]In10s wrote:
The maintenance of muscularity into advanced age is not anywhere near on par with the caliber of strength/endurance feats of LaLanne.[/quote]
In terms of rarity, I’d say some of LaLanne’s feats are comparable to being built like a 30 year old from the neck down when you’re in your 60s. But I do guess it’s a matter of perspective and ideals.

Using AAS as a younger lifter certainly doesn’t guarantee muscularity in later years. Tons of out of shape, retired pro bodybuilders are examples of that. Things like TRT in later years is a fair point though.

^^^ read some of your posts too… omg…

in10s

great post… 100% accurate…

the fighter gracie in a league of his own…

great post…

[quote]Egg Head wrote:

“If it tastes good, spit it out!”

-Jack LaLanne

These quotes impress me almost as much as his feats of strength![/quote]

“If it looks good - eat it!”

-Andrew Zimmern

I don’t know how to exactly define or compare great feats of endurance, but I know Mr.Zimmern can clean a dozen plates of poisonous Devil Eel testicles in no time.

[quote]spk wrote:
^^^^^^^

bet a ton lalanne did it all clean…[/quote]
You wasn’t wit him shootin in the gym!!!

[quote]spk wrote:
^^^^^^^

Just to check, are you actually referring to Chris?
If so, unless there’s some history between the two of you I din’t know about then that was characteristically rude of you.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]spk wrote:
^^^^^^^

If so, unless there’s some history between the two of you I din’t know about then that was characteristically rude of you.[/quote]
Over the last few months, spk started several threads to criticize the quality of the articles here on the site and complain about the types of photos used.

As someone who writes articles for this site, I took offense and engaged him in each thread. Suffice it to say we kinda don’t see eye to eye.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]spk wrote:
^^^^^^^

If so, unless there’s some history between the two of you I din’t know about then that was characteristically rude of you.[/quote]
Over the last few months, spk started several threads to criticize the quality of the articles here on the site and complain about the types of photos used.

As someone who writes articles for this site, I took offense and engaged him in each thread. Suffice it to say we kinda don’t see eye to eye.[/quote]

I’m not convinced that spk really sees eye to eye to eye with anybody who uses/writes for this site.

How the hell can someone tow a boat the length of a bridge swimming underwater? While handcuffed and shackled? How is that even physcially possible?

And how on earth does someone tow 70 boats over a mile while handcuffed and shackled?

These are obviously documents but I honestly can’t get my head around it.