Lagging Pencil Neck!

My physique has advanced a lot, except my neck, my traps are fine, but my neck is that of a pencil, I need some feedback from advanced trainees as to what kind of exercise(s) has impacted thier development in the neck the most, wider and more massive. Thank you, goin all out.

go get a neck harness or do wrestlers bridges…also you can lets say put your left and against your head apply pressure and push against your hand with you head same goes for the right side

1. Keep squatting heavy

2. Neck extensions with the neck harness

i think the most my neck increased in size was during/after a month of 3x12 squats only breathing on the even reps, followed by a month of supersquats. However, i also was squatting 3 times a weeks.

Don’t have a tape measure with me but my (unflexed) neck is as wide as my head. I assume you’re after something like that.
Personally what did it for me was heavy deadlifts and a lot of manual resistance in the past. The great thing is that you can vary the resistence and really work the negative hard.
Just treat the manual resistance as part of your workout and be consistent about it. Once you get to the point where your arms get more of a workout than your neck, it’ll probably be pretty big.

Manulal Resistence = Put hand on forehead and push, resist using neck muscles?

[quote]allout wrote:
Manulal Resistence = Put hand on forehead and push, resist using neck muscles?[/quote]

Yup, then for the positive don’t push as much and let your head come back. But make it a struggle.
Same thing for the back of the head. Just lace your fingers around and pull.

Another thing is do manual resistance with a small towel. Have the towel around the back of your head, or forehead or the sides and grab the ends with one hand and resist the opposite direction. Also to finish off your workout lie on your back and lift and lower your head like a sit up, many times. Turn your head to either side and lift and lower, repeat. That and deadlifts.

Neck Bridges, Neck Push ups (hands behind your back), or get a neck harness. That, and Deadlifts, over and over.

Don’t forget about the rotational dimension of neck training. Left to Right rotations and R to L rotations are excellent.

Deadlifts and squats have worked for me. My neck size has increased significantly in the last 8 weeks of doing ABBH 1 & 2. Before then i never did deads or squats and had pencil neck syndrome as well.

grab a plate, put it on your forehead, curl your head up. then switch around and do extensions. works.

Ever see Choke, its about Rickson Gracie. He put a really long band around his forhead and walked…leading with his head. I would love to try it but dont have a band to use. Guess you could use the band to do extension and flexion as well.

[quote]Jersey5150 wrote:
Ever see Choke, its about Rickson Gracie. He put a really long band around his forhead and walked…leading with his head. I would love to try it but dont have a band to use. Guess you could use the band to do extension and flexion as well. [/quote]

I like that one, where did he mount the band, just to a wall?

I used to have the thinnest neck imaginable so I can def. sympathise. I have tried many exercises, such as the 4-way neck machine, neck extensions, wrestler’s bridges,etc.

The ones which worked for me was to use a neck harness and slowly increase the weights, doing the front and back of the neck. After 3 sets of each, I do another exercise which basically involves jamming a football against a wall and using your head to push against it. Hold for 4-5 second count on the push, and gently release. I do this for the front of the head, back and both sides, for 3 sets of 10. This gives the neck a good pump and is similar to the manual resistance ones mentioned previously. The good thing abt it though, is that you can push as hard as you want and thus can increase resistance with relative ease (by pumping up the football,etc)

I won’t take credit for this last exercise as I read it from Stuart McRoberts training technique book but trust me, it works! And also, I use the Hercules head harness, which is the best I’ve found as other harnesses may break with increasingly heavier weights.

I like that one, where did he mount the band, just to a wall?

I am not sure I guess it will work as long as its securely tied to something that wont move. he had some kind of padding around the band at the point where he put it on his forehead, for comfort I guess.