T Nation

Lagging Glutes


#1

What do you guys do to bring up lagging glutes? My ass area is not proportionate at all to my lower body.


#2

Spanking.

And hip trusts, glute bridges and GHR


#3

[quote]JFG wrote:
And hip trusts,[/quote]

If you aren’t already doing these on a regular basis, it is time to reorganize your personal life.


#4

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:
And hip trusts,[/quote]

If you aren’t already doing these on a regular basis, it is time to reorganize your personal life.[/quote]

Professor X, have you ever used heavy glute bridges to bring up deadlift and squat? I have bad time “hitching” on my max effort deadlifts, and recently discovered my 500 lb squat in briefs translated to 315 Raw.


#5

[quote]xenomorph8472 wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:
And hip trusts,[/quote]

If you aren’t already doing these on a regular basis, it is time to reorganize your personal life.[/quote]

Professor X, have you ever used heavy glute bridges to bring up deadlift and squat? I have bad time “hitching” on my max effort deadlifts, and recently discovered my 500 lb squat in briefs translated to 315 Raw.[/quote]

That was a sex joke.

I’m black.

No further action was needed.

I also do not do deadlifts but I could see how your exercise mentioned may help you with squats.


#6

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]xenomorph8472 wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:
And hip trusts,[/quote]

If you aren’t already doing these on a regular basis, it is time to reorganize your personal life.[/quote]

Professor X, have you ever used heavy glute bridges to bring up deadlift and squat? I have bad time “hitching” on my max effort deadlifts, and recently discovered my 500 lb squat in briefs translated to 315 Raw.[/quote]

That was a sex joke.

I’m black.

No further action was needed.

I also do not do deadlifts but I could see how your exercise mentioned may help you with squats.[/quote]

I got the sex joke, lol…been following your posts for some time due to my personal hero george leeman.


#7

hip-hinge movements with bent knees - eg Good Mornings with bent knees


#8

Are you doing any glute activation work? If you aren’t, I’d definitely start there. Some things that I like to do are bird dogs, single leg deadlifts, kickbacks, and back extensions. This stuff is done with little or no weight, high reps, and really just focus on squeezing your glutes without letting the low back/hams take over.

I’ve never really been lacking in the glute department, but focusing on bringing my quads up for much of the past year had left them smaller than I’d prefer. Bringing back the glute activation work, both before and during workouts has made a huge difference over the last 2 months.

As far as actual exercises, the ones that have been mentioned like bridges and GMs are good. I’m also a fan of RDLs, v-squat (power squat?) and squats (they work for me anyway). Pull throughs or KB swings may also be worth trying.


#9

Did hip thrusts for the first time last week. Glutes took a beating!

Def recommend them for lagging glutes. Wish I had been doing them pre comp!


#10

Seriously? Nobody is mentioning WALKING LUNGES in a thread about glutes?
Best to do with a BB but DBs are fine too.


#11

i squat deep and do deadlifts on a regular basis… most females compliment me on my ass on a regular basis when out at bars/clubs etc…

in actuality my glutes are rather large but i dont do any glute specific exercises… i also dont use belts, suites, ets… just chalk. except for shrugs, straps needed.


#12

What does your leg day look like?


#13

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
What does your leg day look like?[/quote]

Leg Extensions/Lying Hamstring Curls/ Leg Press/SLDL/ Hack Squats

Squats I just don’t do them any more, and Im sure that I am missing some much needed glute work that they give. So I’m trying to make up for it with other exercises. But they seem to be far and few between.


#14

Single-leg leg presses
Bulgarian Split Squats with a longish stance
kettlebell or DB swings
reverse hypers 1 or 2 legs
lunges
try working legs 2 days a week heavy one “normal” and one glute oriented

Sample
1st Leg Day
Warmup
then
3x8-12 GHR superset with some kind of hip stretch
3x8-12 Kettlebell swings
^^^^^^^ I do this before every workout upper or lower body. My warmup along with these exercises activates my glutes really well
Heavy Back Squats low reps 3-6 sets are up to you
Bulgarian SS 4x 8-10
1-legged leg press 3x15 short rest

2nd Leg Day
Warmup
then
3x8-12 Reverse hypers superset with some kind of hip stretch
3x8-12 Kettlebell swings
5x4-6 Front Squats
4x6-8 RDL
3x10 BB Lunges or stepups
3x15 1-legged leg press

This may or may not work for some but it works for me. This is basically what I do although I do some type of jumping and an olympic lift 4 days of the week at the beginning of my workout. And I also usually do alot more sets (close to 30) because I usually feel real good on leg days. I know you said you don’t do squats anymore but I just figured I could give you an idea.


#15

Ditto on the DB/BB lunges to be an really great exercise for glutes. Another I find really good is wide stand squats.


#16

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Seriously? Nobody is mentioning WALKING LUNGES in a thread about glutes?
Best to do with a BB but DBs are fine too.[/quote]
/thread
dat glute pump
best ever


#17

Barbell hip thrusts and to a lesser extent glute bridges are unparalleled.

Ultra wide stance box squats get an honorable mention.


#18

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
What does your leg day look like?[/quote]

Leg Extensions/Lying Hamstring Curls/ Leg Press/SLDL/ Hack Squats

Squats I just don’t do them any more, and Im sure that I am missing some much needed glute work that they give. So I’m trying to make up for it with other exercises. But they seem to be far and few between.[/quote]

Try this…

Abductor machine (5 sets or so to failure here)
Squats
Hamstring curls
Leg Presses high and wide stance
Romanian deadlifts

If you do this once a week only then do 3-5 sets to failure for each one


#19

Do a run of Westside or smolov


#20

[quote]myself1992 wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
What does your leg day look like?[/quote]

Leg Extensions/Lying Hamstring Curls/ Leg Press/SLDL/ Hack Squats

Squats I just don’t do them any more, and Im sure that I am missing some much needed glute work that they give. So I’m trying to make up for it with other exercises. But they seem to be far and few between.[/quote]

Try this…

Abductor machine (5 sets or so to failure here)
Squats
Hamstring curls
Leg Presses high and wide stance
Romanian deadlifts

If you do this once a week only then do 3-5 sets to failure for each one[/quote]

I like this and tried this yesterday unfortunately I also started taking tren 4 days ago and my lower back got massive pumps during squats, crippling pain.