Lagging Forearms?

[quote]craze9 wrote:
Since no one has said it yet, what about hang cleans and deadlifts, especially in a higher than typical rep range like 5-8? I’ll actually get a forearm “pump” just from doing a set of 8 or so hang cleans. These movements load the forearms with a lot more weight compared to all the isolation stuff. Trap-bar deadlifts in particular hit the forearms well. A lot of people (including me) have gotten muscular forearms without ever doing a wrist curl.

And I’d agree with a previous poster that your forearms don’t look like that much of a weakness anyway, so you might get a better bang for your buck in terms of training time incorporating useful compound movements like the above rather than adding a bunch of “forearm specialization”, especially at your experience level.[/quote]

Well that’s good to know, my main issue when it comes to lifts like rows, pull ups, and deadlifts, is that my grip gives out before anything else, so I’m forced to reset the lift and get my grip. Say if I’m rowing 185 for 10, I’ll lose the bar on 8, when I can easily do more with my back.

Also, thanks for the comments everyone. Appreciate it.

[quote]Leonard2580 wrote:

[quote]craze9 wrote:
Since no one has said it yet, what about hang cleans and deadlifts, especially in a higher than typical rep range like 5-8? I’ll actually get a forearm “pump” just from doing a set of 8 or so hang cleans. These movements load the forearms with a lot more weight compared to all the isolation stuff. Trap-bar deadlifts in particular hit the forearms well. A lot of people (including me) have gotten muscular forearms without ever doing a wrist curl.

And I’d agree with a previous poster that your forearms don’t look like that much of a weakness anyway, so you might get a better bang for your buck in terms of training time incorporating useful compound movements like the above rather than adding a bunch of “forearm specialization”, especially at your experience level.[/quote]

Well that’s good to know, my main issue when it comes to lifts like rows, pull ups, and deadlifts, is that my grip gives out before anything else, so I’m forced to reset the lift and get my grip. Say if I’m rowing 185 for 10, I’ll lose the bar on 8, when I can easily do more with my back. [/quote]

Grip strength can be improved. Kroc rows are good for that, as are hangs from a pull-up bar. Also, you can use lifting straps.

That was awesome! Thanks for posting that Badger.

Has anyone else tried that plate-flipping yet?

I will tomorrow just cuz I’m curious.