Lagging Body Part---Triceps

You don’t care about symmetry, but you want to bring up a single part of your triceps?

And you want to be big and strong, so you don’t do any isolation exercises?

What?

[quote]Seize wrote:
Sounds like you’re trying to hit the lateral head. Overhead dumbell extensions and reverse grip pushdowns is what works for me.[/quote]

I meant to say “long” head and not “lateral”. Sorry about that.

[quote]plateau wrote:
PJR pullovers toaste my triceps like nothing else.[/quote]

These:

PJR Pullovers FTW. Nothing else hits the long head of the triceps as well as these IMO.

[quote]BeastKing wrote:
im not too sure how you can have lagging triceps when you bench and do dips…[/quote]

Really?

How about posting picture of said physique?

I really think anyone posting threads like this should be required to post pictures. Instead of people just randomly shouting out exercises that could be a total waste of time if the OP is 5’10 180 lbs or something.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
plateau wrote:
PJR pullovers toaste my triceps like nothing else.

These:

I thought that was mainly for the chest, or is there a difference version for the chest?

the OP has already said he is 175lb…

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Overhead extension [/quote]

this

[quote]destroyedquads wrote:
the OP has already said he is 175lb…[/quote]

doesn’t really mean much without height and BF%

[quote]optheta wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
plateau wrote:

These:

I thought that was mainly for the chest, or is there a difference version for the chest?[/quote]

No, the regular BB pull-over was originally used as a “chest/ribcage expander” in early HIT routines (or even in the 20 rep squat routine). Some people still use BB/DB pull overs for chest, some use them for lats as well.

This exercise is slightly different through. In a regular pull-over the elbows stay at a fixed angle, while in this version they flex/bend on the negative and extend/straighten on the concentric. This greatly increases the triceps involvement in the exercise.

The long head of the triceps (the one that PJR’s are designed to hit, and from the sounds of the OP the one in question) performs both elbow extension, and shoulder extension (brings the upper arms down to the sides of the body).

This is why people tell you to do overhead work to hit the long head, because by putting the shoulders in a fully/hyper flexed (upper arms overhead) position you decrease it’s need to stabilize the shoulder joint, put it in a stretched position, and allow it to participate better in extension of the elbow. That’s also why exercises like close grip bench and dips do not stimulate the long head very well.

However, an even better IMO way to hit the long head is to not just put it into a static stretched position, but to actually make it perform both of it’s joint actions in one exercise, while also getting a great loaded stretch during each repetition. Which is exactly what the PJR pull-over does.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
optheta wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
plateau wrote:

These:

I thought that was mainly for the chest, or is there a difference version for the chest?

No, the regular BB pull-over was originally used as a “chest/ribcage expander” in early HIT routines (or even in the 20 rep squat routine). Some people still use BB/DB pull overs for chest, some use them for lats as well.

This exercise is slightly different through. In a regular pull-over the elbows stay at a fixed angle, while in this version they flex/bend on the negative and extend/straighten on the concentric. This greatly increases the triceps involvement in the exercise.

The long head of the triceps (the one that PJR’s are designed to hit, and from the sounds of the OP the one in question) performs both elbow extension, and shoulder extension (brings the upper arms down to the sides of the body).

This is why people tell you to do overhead work to hit the long head, because by putting the shoulders in a fully/hyper flexed (upper arms overhead) position you decrease it’s need to stabilize the shoulder joint, put it in a stretched position, and allow it to participate better in extension of the elbow. That’s also why exercises like close grip bench and dips do not stimulate the long head very well.

However, an even better IMO way to hit the long head is to not just put it into a static stretched position, but to actually make it perform both of it’s joint actions in one exercise, while also getting a great loaded stretch during each repetition. Which is exactly what the PJR pull-over does.[/quote]

I have done these and the pump is killer!

DB kickback FTW!

Seriously tho incline close grip bench fry my triceps! More so than flat close grip.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

I really think anyone posting threads like this should be required to post pictures. Instead of people just randomly shouting out exercises that could be a total waste of time if the OP is 5’10 180 lbs or something.

[/quote]

If it builds muscle why would it be a waste of time?

Seriously try some kickbacks after your compound movement.

Dips can help but if your using 85lbs it’s highly likely your doing it for weight and not for body development, which could mean your working your chest more than your tri’s

Now that you’ve noticed it, concentrate hard when your training exercises that work that muscle.

While your working out if you haven’t adjusted an exercise a few times then your not really focusing on your tricep muscle just the lift. What I mean is sometimes you’ll see a person do a short range double hitch on every rep of lift because they feel it works the muscle extra hard. Or if a person normally leans forward alot on a dip they my lean back and try to feel the weight.

It’s going to take time so don’t expect a quick fix or be dissapointed with an exercise if 2 weeks from now you don’t notice too much. It had to be lagging for a while for you to notice it. Enough good exercises have been listed choose one or 2 and stick with it.

do isolation exercises. they are not the devil. pick any of the aforementioned ones

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

If it builds muscle why would it be a waste of time? [/quote]

You’re missing the point

Whatever you choose to do, introduce it slowly so you don’t immediately add too much volume around your elbow joint and create a problem.

Just my 2 cents…

dam, i dont need to post any pics. somehow you will have to find it in your hearts to believe that particular area of my triceps is not as developed as the other 2 areas. when i flex my tri’s i cant even get it hard (pardon the pun). but overall, i would say my arms in totality are pretty symetrical to the rest of my physique. i am just thinking that all the dips, bench presses, military press movements have done a lot for me except develop that particular area. was just looking to add an iso movement (something i typically dont do) for about 12 weeks to see what happens. was trying to find out what one would work that particular area the most. didnt want to start a war and peace debate. no i am not a bodybuilder.

if it doesnt work out for me i wont roll over and die. i was just thinking what MIGHT happen if i did isolate that area. i should have reworded the ? without offering an explanation. i should have asked…what single exercise best isolates that particular head of the triceps. that would have killed some of the debate.

Dead skulls and close grip bench will build huge fucking triceps.