Lagging Arms

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
TheNameisBond wrote:
Does anyone have any benchmarks correlating arm size with barbell/dumbell curl weights?

Just out of interest…

That’s different from person to person, also, your triceps play (or should play) a bigger role in arm size than your biceps…

Some start significantly stronger than others, even if size is not drastically different… Etc.

[/quote]

i agree!

[quote]Itchy wrote:
I’ve seen a lot of big, strong dudes train, but I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen anyone curling their bodyweight.
[/quote]
Which doesn’t mean it’s impossible.
You might want to step up to one of those big and strong guys and simply ask him about his 1RM on bb-curls.

[quote]Itchy wrote:
I’m not calling bullshit on you, I’ve just never seen it.
[/quote]
Well, actually you are, since you’re implying there’s a video proof needed to concede the feasibility of a bodyweight-ish bb-curl as true.

[quote]Itchy wrote:
I’ve been training for 3+ years–I’m a fairly solid 225 right now, but I still only work with a little over half that on BB curls.
[/quote]
Kudos to you! :wink:

Now, 120-ish on bb-curls isn’t strong for your size/weight, unless you can knock out 15+ clean reps with it. But maybe you’ve nevertheless got some decent size on you (maybe you want to post some photos?). I’ve seen stranger things happen.

But then again - and don’t take this as an insult -, maybe you haven’t been pushing yourself enough, maybe you could’ve gone better about your training and thus might have achieved better increases in strength (and thus in size).

Lots of maybe’s…

I don’t intend to sound patronizing and, as I’ve stated above, I don’t know how you go about your training, so I can only tell you how I went about mine: I gave a shit on overtraining from the get-go and trained pretty often. My strength increase was one of the main indicators for when I would train.

[quote]musclegym wrote
Same here and I’ve been training for 20+ years and I’ve trained with Olympic lifters powerlifters, bodybuilders… I just have to see it.
[/quote]
How long have you been training with them, especially with the bodybuilders? What were their training approaches like?

According to your profile you weigh 185. Are you seriously telling me you can’t bb-curl 185 for at least one clean rep with all that muscle and training experience you’ve got? You look pretty swole to me and your traps look like they’ve seen their share of heavy DLs.

It’s entirely up to you two if you want to believe it’s possible or not.

I’m not going to make a video just to prove my point. Been there, done that and know that it won’t convince the naysayers :wink:

But check this out: 200 lb barbell curls, a little cheated - YouTube

Granted, the dude’s using some body english, but he’s knocking out 200 lbs for reps.

TheNameisBond wrote:
Does anyone have any benchmarks correlating arm size with barbell/dumbell curl weights?

Just out of interest…

That’s different from person to person, also, your triceps play (or should play) a bigger role in arm size than your biceps…

Some start significantly stronger than others, even if size is not drastically different… Etc.

[/quote]

Man, you just have all the answers don’t cha? :wink:

[quote]FattyFat wrote:
Itchy wrote:
I’ve seen a lot of big, strong dudes train, but I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen anyone curling their bodyweight.

You might want to step up to one of those big and strong guys and simply ask him about his 1RM on bb-curls.

Itchy wrote:

Well, actually you are, since you’re implying there’s a video proof needed to concede the feasibility of a bodyweight-ish bb-curl as true.

Itchy wrote:
I’ve been training for 3+ years–I’m a fairly solid 225 right now, but I still only work with a little over half that on BB curls.

Now, 120-ish on bb-curls isn’t strong for your size/weight, unless you can knock out 15+ clean reps with it. But maybe you’ve nevertheless got some decent size on you (maybe you want to post some photos?). I’ve seen stranger things happen.

But then again - and don’t take this as an insult -, maybe you haven’t been pushing yourself enough, maybe you could’ve gone better about your training and thus might have achieved better increases in strength (and thus in size).

Lots of maybe’s…

I don’t intend to sound patronizing and, as I’ve stated above, I don’t know how you go about your training, so I can only tell you how I went about mine: I gave a shit on overtraining from the get-go and trained pretty often. My strength increase was one of the main indicators for when I would train.

musclegym wrote
Same here and I’ve been training for 20+ years and I’ve trained with Olympic lifters powerlifters, bodybuilders… I just have to see it.

How long have you been training with them, especially with the bodybuilders? What were their training approaches like?

According to your profile you weigh 185. Are you seriously telling me you can’t bb-curl 185 for at least one clean rep with all that muscle and training experience you’ve got? You look pretty swole to me and your traps look like they’ve seen their share of heavy DLs.

I’m not going to make a video just to prove my point. Been there, done that and know that it won’t convince the naysayers :wink:

Granted, the dude’s using some body english, but he’s knocking out 200 lbs for reps.

[/quote]

My profile says I way 185? I haven’t weighed 185 in a couple of years. I’m 220-225 right now.

My pics shouldn’t be up there any more either WTF? Actually the whole thing should be private.

[quote]Itchy wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
TheNameisBond wrote:

Just out of interest…

[/quote]

Basic questions are easy :wink:

[quote]FattyFat wrote:

[/quote]

Damn, that dude is fuckin strong (and check out some of his other vids).

Itchy wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
TheNameisBond wrote:

Just out of interest…

[/quote]

C_C, how far off base am I? Can you curl your bodyweight?

[quote]Itchy wrote:
FattyFat wrote:
Itchy wrote:

Itchy wrote:

Itchy wrote:

Lots of maybe’s…

musclegym wrote

My profile says I way 185? I haven’t weighed 185 in a couple of years. I’m 220-225 right now.

My pics shouldn’t be up there any more either WTF? Actually the whole thing should be private.

[/quote]

Shit I just got it–you were quoting 2 me AND someone else.

thumbs up

[quote]Itchy wrote:

thumbs up[/quote]

And here I was just getting ready to rip you a new one.
Man, you’re a bad sport.

[quote]FattyFat wrote:
Itchy wrote:

thumbs up

And here I was just getting ready to rip you a new one.
Man, you’re a bad sport.
[/quote]

Aw, just wait around, I’m bound to slip up again.

Larry Scott in his prime could preacher curl 225 for 6. That is the strongest curling I have heard of to this day. My best ever is 115 for 6. :frowning:

[quote]Itchy wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Itchy wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
TheNameisBond wrote:

Just out of interest…

C_C, how far off base am I? Can you curl your bodyweight?
[/quote]

I don’t bother with low reps on arm-work and neither do I like to have much low-back involvement in a EZ curl. I prefer initiating the movement with my bis and going really explosive… Then just letting my body swing along a bit(though it’s still tense), and my elbows can come forward some…
I may initiate the last 2-3 reps out of the low-back/knees though, but usually I prefer not to. (I get a bi pump and “feel it” in my bis when going explosive/forceful that way, controlled but still fairly fast negative, but not when I use much low-back… Then it’s all brachioradialis and forearms… Have to keep the shoulder blades pretty much in bench-position, too… Together and down, though I end up shrugging up somewhat on the later reps to help get the weight up)

So no, I’m not using 285+ lbs on my curl top set lol
I don’t see much reason for going really low in reps on curls and such… One can gain strength in the 5-12 range just fine (though most just do too many sets and end up slowing their progress down… Or don’t eat enough protein), and DC-rest-pause makes things go even faster (I used mostly the 12-20 and 15-30 range there).

No idea if I could use 285+ lbs and “curl” that for even a single. Maybe, but it would probably be more of an aborted high-pull, and the end of my bicep tendons.

That being said, most big people with arms over 20 can do around 165-195 for 8-12 reps with varying degrees of low-back involvement…
I prefer Alt. Offset grip DB’s and pinwheel curls… At 292 I was using the 100’s on the first (around 6-8 reps per arm or so I think, that was a while ago, with some obvious backwards lean… But little low-back) and the 135’s on the latter for plenty of reps (10+ per arm, but with quite a bit of trap involvement).

If we’re talking about a competition curl (as used in NASA comps, for example), then that’s a different story again.
Have a look at the strength sports section, “Big Willie” JT. Hall (or so) has posted some examples of his competition curl and what that looks like (he uses a narrow grip on the EZ bar and grabs the bar in a fairly weird way, but hey, seems to be working for him lol).

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
Larry Scott in his prime could preacher curl 225 for 6. That is the strongest curling I have heard of to this day. My best ever is 115 for 6. :([/quote]

Curl numbers are ultimately very dependant on curl technique/low back involvement etc… Imo it isn’t the best idea to worry about how much others curl… Comparing lifts in general is a so-so affair, in bodybuilding at least.

Most of us have their own tweaks to an exercise, going to lockout or not, elbows tucked or flared, etcetc… And comparing squat numbers is pretty damn useless anyway, as most people only do knee bends :wink:

http://www.T-Nation.com/portal_includes/articles/2008/08-094-training.html

Thib gives a good bicep program in the beginning of this article.