Lagging Arms

I was having the same problem. I recently mentioned in another thread that I bought some Fat Gripz http://fatgripz.com/thick-grip-training.html

Only had them a short time but I am already seeing a difference in my overall arm thickness.

[quote]Vatic wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Your post equals:

-A whole lot of detail about the shit that matters least.

-No detail on the shit that matters most.

You weigh how much? How much have you gained in the past year? How old are you? How long have you been lifting?

My bad. I weight 80kg (176lb), I have put on about 8kg in the past year, I am 21 and I have been lifting for 2 years.[/quote]

Your arms are small because you weigh 176 and curl 75 lbs.

I like to train Back and Chest together on a monday where my arms are being taxed. On fridays I give them some attention after shoulders. Again you don’t need a ton of exercises. Pick 2 or 3 exercises bb curl 3x6-10 reps, hammer 3x6-10, and a cable or preacher curl 1 or 2x ?

Tri’s close grip bench 3x6-10, lying db ext. 3x 8-10, and 1 or 2 sets of dips as many as you can

I usually superset arms.
I even do the 5 or 6 sets of one exercise for 6-10 reps (ex. close grip bench and superset incline db curls) then pick a burn out exercise dips and preacher.
You don’t have to get complicated you just have to be dedicated. Big exercises, big weight, big arms.

[quote]Bixente01 wrote:
Palm in Pull Ups

Things You Should Know How To Do #1: The Pull-Up [/quote]

Why do you feel the need to throw a dead horse into this thread like that. Oh wait, you’re kinda new here.

[quote]Foenix wrote:
I get a great pump from incline dumbbell curls, but I agree that you should focus on strength a bit.[/quote]

Gaining strength (via extra reps and/or weight) on the exercises you do (except maybe for that last pump movement in the workout, if you do something like that) is always the goal… What else do you want to focus on? Time under tension? :wink:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Foenix wrote:
I get a great pump from incline dumbbell curls, but I agree that you should focus on strength a bit.

Gaining strength (via extra reps and/or weight) on the exercises you do (except maybe for that last pump movement in the workout, if you do something like that) is always the goal… What else do you want to focus on? Time under tension? :wink:

[/quote]

I hate I didn’t catch that one first.

Are there people here actually NOT working on strength?

Are there people here who think you get muscles bigger from beginner status without getting a hell of a lot stronger?

I just see tons of newbs sitting around worrying more about how many sets and reps they are doing as if the actual fucking weight being used is an after thought.

[quote]Vatic wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Your post equals:

-A whole lot of detail about the shit that matters least.

-No detail on the shit that matters most.

You weigh how much? How much have you gained in the past year? How old are you? How long have you been lifting?

My bad. I weight 80kg (176lb), I have put on about 8kg in the past year, I am 21 and I have been lifting for 2 years.[/quote]

Only 8 kg the last year at your stage? how tall are you?

May really need to step it up with the food/protein intake and strength increases there… How about you open a log in the log section so we can have a look at what you’re doing every now and again?
Easier to help you out that way.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Foenix wrote:
I get a great pump from incline dumbbell curls, but I agree that you should focus on strength a bit.

I hate I didn’t catch that one first.

[/quote] There is an amusing discussion going on in the “best mass program” thread, plenty of sarcastic responses possible there if you’re in the mood… The thread smells of dead horse, though. [quote]

Are there people here actually NOT working on strength?
[/quote] Man, don’t you know that it’s scientifically proven that one needs different programs for “size” (tons of straight sets, tons of exercises, no weight increase ever) and “strength” (tons of volume with low reps is where it’s at, it seems) and that size is a “function” of volume? How uninformed you are.

After all, it’s a lot better to do 10 sets of 10 reps with 60 Kg= 6000kg (which somehow equals more muscle! Or maybe not…)
Rather than 10 sets of 1 rep with 100 kg = 1000Kg.

Ok, I don’t know why anyone would want to do either as a bodybuilder, but hey. As I said, the discussion in that other thread is rather amusing.[quote]
Are there people here who think you get muscle bigger from beginner status without getting a hell of a lot stronger?

I just see tons of newbs sitting around worrying more about how many sets and reps they are doing as if the actually fucking weight being used is an after thought.[/quote]
That’s such an accurate observation it’s not even funny.

Although I’ve made some not too shabby muscle gains in the past years without focussing on getting stronger, I’ve built all my ‘base mass’, so to speak, with the sole focus on getting as strong as possible (and eating tons of food, actually).

Having said that:

heavy bb/db curls and weighted close-grip supinated chins for da BIs with the focus on getting stronger. Can’t comment on getting the TRIs big, since I used to be an asshat and didn’t do any direct triceps work, but getting stronger in bb pressing movements didn’t hurt, either.

Now, here’s the thing: strength (and upper arm size) increases with bb curls were always more dramatic for me than with its db counterparts.

I’ve yet to see a person who can bb-curl his bodyweight for at least one clean rep and not sporting some impressive guns.

[quote]FattyFat wrote:

I’ve yet to see a person who can bb-curl his bodyweight for at least one clean rep and not sporting some impressive guns.

[/quote]

How many people have you seen that can BB-curl their own bodyweight?

ZERO

Although I think my dad knew a guy at the mill who could curl 150lbs. with one arm…

[quote]musclegym wrote:
Although I think my dad knew a guy at the mill who could curl 150lbs. with one arm…[/quote]

As in the arm of a forklift?

Even if you had the strength to move that kind of weight, wouldn’t you just fall over as soon as you reached the midpoint?

[quote]Itchy wrote:
FattyFat wrote:

How many people have you seen that can BB-curl their own bodyweight?[/quote]

Quite a few, to be honest.
It’s not too hard, unless you’re about 300 lbs, I guess.

For starters, I was able to do it after 1.5 years of training.

When I was about 220 lbs (after four years of training), I bb-curled exactly 220 lbs for singles.

Currently, a friend of mine is dieting down, his bf sub 12 % and he’s only weighing 158 @ 5"7, de-carbed. The guy looks bigger than me and is strong as hell. He’s got no problem bb-curling 150 lbs for about 9 reps during his fat-loss training.

Just go to a gym with people being serious about training, having lots of consecutive training years under their belts and focussing on strength and size and see for yourself.

I’m aware of the fact that tall (to guesstimate a realistic cut-off height, over 6"2) people might be disadvantaged (levers etc.) at going bodyweight-ish on bb-curls, but I would be surprised if a 280-pounder un-flabby guy with a few training years under his belt had trouble bb-curling, say, 230 lbs.

Conversely, there’s an optimal height range for getting strong enough to go bodyweight-ish on bb-curls and also be heavy.

It’s not extraordinary for strong and muscular people with sufficient training experience, but if the stats of most forum members here are any indication, strong and muscular people must be quite the exception.

I have to see it to believe it…sorry

[quote]FattyFat wrote:
Itchy wrote:
FattyFat wrote:

How many people have you seen that can BB-curl their own bodyweight?

Quite a few, to be honest.
It’s not too hard, unless you’re about 300 lbs, I guess.

For starters, I was able to do it after 1.5 years of training.

When I was about 220 lbs (after four years of training), I bb-curled exactly 220 lbs for singles.

Currently, a friend of mine is dieting down, his bf sub 12 % and he’s only weighing 158 @ 5"7, de-carbed. The guy looks bigger than me and is strong as hell. He’s got no problem bb-curling 150 lbs for about 9 reps during his fat-loss training.

Just go to a gym with people being serious about training, having lots of consecutive training years under their belts and focussing on strength and size and see for yourself.

I’m aware of the fact that tall (to guesstimate a realistic cut-off height, over 6"2) people might be disadvantaged (levers etc.) at going bodyweight-ish on bb-curls, but I would be surprised if a 280-pounder un-flabby guy with a few training years under his belt had trouble bb-curling, say, 230 lbs.

Conversely, there’s an optimal height range for getting strong enough to go bodyweight-ish on bb-curls and also be heavy.

It’s not extraordinary for strong and muscular people with sufficient training experience, but if the stats of most forum members here are any indication, strong and muscular people must be quite the exception.

[/quote]

I’ve seen a lot of big, strong dudes train, but I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen anyone curling their bodyweight. I’m not calling bullshit on you, I’ve just never seen it.

I’ve been training for 3+ years–I’m a fairly solid 225 right now, but I still only work with a little over half that on BB curls.

I’d be pretty a lot more than impressed to see this feat.

[quote]musclegym wrote:
I have to see it to believe it…sorry[/quote]

Yeah, any videos maybe? I mean, I just can’t get past the physics of it. Seems like you’d have to sway back into a 45 degree angle on the way up just to compensate for the load.

Same here and I’ve been training for 20+ years and I’ve trained with Olympic lifters powerlifters, bodybuilders… I just have to see it.

Does anyone have any benchmarks correlating arm size with barbell/dumbell curl weights?

Just out of interest…

[quote]TheNameisBond wrote:
Does anyone have any benchmarks correlating arm size with barbell/dumbell curl weights?

Just out of interest…[/quote]

That’s different from person to person, also, your triceps play (or should play) a bigger role in arm size than your biceps…

Some start significantly stronger than others, even if size is not drastically different… Etc.