T Nation

Lagging Arms

I am having issues with muscle growth on my tris and Bis. I am adding another day at the gym just for the 2 and I am looking for some new ways to target them. In my normal work out they get the following:

Bi:
Machine Preacher 5x5 (30,40,50,60,70lb)
21sx2(66lb)
Single Arm Preacher Curl (38.5,33,27.5lb rep-out on each alternating hands)
or
Wire Curl 12,10,8reps (40,50,60lb)
21sx2 (66lb)
Barbell Curls (77,66,55lb Drop-Set)

Tri:
Wire Pull-Down (bar) 12,10,8reps (45,55,65lb)
Overhead Tri Extensions 12,10,8reps (77,88,99lb)
Single Arm Kettlebell Overhead Extensions (44,35.2,26.4lb rep-out on each alternating hands)
or
Wire Pull-Down (rope) 12,10,8reps (45,55,65lb)
Tricep Dips 15x3 (no added weight,33,66lb)
Single Arm Overhead Extensions (38.5,33,27.5lb rep-out on each alternating hands)

What do you guys think would add a little bang in there, esspecialy Biceps?

p.s. I know there are some wierd numbers in there I had to convert from Kg.

[quote]Vatic wrote:
I am having issues with muscle growth on my tris and Bis. I am adding another day at the gym just for the 2 and I am looking for some new ways to target them. In my normal work out they get the following:

Bi:
21sx2(66lb)
or
21sx2 (66lb)

Tri:
Single Arm Kettlebell Overhead Extensions (44,35.2,26.4lb rep-out on each alternating hands)
or
Single Arm Overhead Extensions (38.5,33,27.5lb rep-out on each alternating hands)

p.s. I know there are some wierd numbers in there I had to convert from Kg.[/quote]

You are, quite frankly, still very weak. What’s the point of doing drop-sets if you aren’t even able to curl a 45 kg barbell yet?

Ditch the fancy intensity techniques and get your numbers up (working weight, bodyweight)…
Also consider your bicep/tricep attachments… Short bis without much peak and short triceps mean no 20+ inch arms anytime soon.

Your post equals:

-A whole lot of detail about the shit that matters least.

-No detail on the shit that matters most.

You weigh how much? How much have you gained in the past year? How old are you? How long have you been lifting?

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
You are, quite frankly, still very weak. What’s the point of doing drop-sets if you aren’t even able to curl a 45 kg barbell yet?

Ditch the fancy intensity techniques and get your numbers up (working weight, bodyweight)…
Also consider your bicep/tricep attachments… Short bis without much peak and short triceps mean no 20+ inch arms anytime soon.
[/quote]

He is beginner-weak…which means I agree, why are beginners getting caught up in all of this drop set bullshit when they can’t even curl 35lbs in one hand without strain?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

He is beginner-weak…which means I agree, why are beginners getting caught up in all of this drop set bullshit when they can’t even curl 35lbs in one hand without strain?[/quote]

Probably because of all the talk about “recruiting the most motor units/fatiguing the most muscle fibers” or whatever.

Like that by itself is going to make anyone grow…

Doesn’t anyone have older brothers/friends/dads/uncles/coaches who they ask for help anymore? I speak for myself and the kids and athletes I grew up with, but it was always: ask to workout with the bigger, older guy, or at least ask him how to workout. Don’t look to the internet for all your answers

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Vatic wrote:

Bi:
21sx2(66lb)
or
21sx2 (66lb)

Tri:
or

p.s. I know there are some wierd numbers in there I had to convert from Kg.

[/quote]

Thanks Cephalic you make me feel so good about my bicep/tricep attachments with that post ha…

Well f you, I’ma get them big as I my genetics allow bastard.

as for the OP. I’m currently only doing 3 bicep movements on different days. Your shits all over the place. I imagine you’re have a hard time getting stronger in a rep range when you’re doing all that weird shit + so many movements.

I get a great pump from incline dumbbell curls, but I agree that you should focus on strength a bit.

Palm in Pull Ups

Also some weighted Dips should work the Tris properly for now

and well the usual, Diet properly, etc…

oh no…

Dude… Keep it simple.

Biceps -

• Dead Hang Close Grip Chin Ups (Chest to Bar)
  • Dead Hang Hammer Grip Chin Ups
  • Dumbbell Hammer Curls
  • Barbell Curls
  • Alternate Dumbbell Curls

Do 3/4 sets 10/15 Reps [Excluding Bodyweight exercises, Where doing 3/4 sets to failure is more appropriate]

Triceps -

• Close Grip Bench Press
  • Skullcrushers
  • Dips
  • Parallel Bar Pushdowns
  • Rope Pushdowns

Do 3/4 sets 10/15 Reps [Excluding Bodyweight exercises, Where doing 3/4 sets to failure is more appropriate]

Remember the old saying ‘KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID’ Handle as much weight as possible for as long as possible and they will grow. Forget drop sets, supersets or ‘21s’… SERIOUSLY!!

MJ - Cartwright
Fitness Instructor and Strength coach
Pontypridd South Wales

Mah man Senor X doesn’t sugar coat shit! OP: Keep it simple Jethro. Well its stupid but I wanted to write Jethro. Bis you should be hitting them with heavy EZ bar curls, throw in some heavy hammers, and flash fry them at the hi-pulley curl. Tris hit them with heavy close grips, medium/high rep rope press downs, and finish em off with kickbacks. That’s what Id do for starters.

Keep it basic and heavy, and eat shit.

[quote]Short Hoss wrote:
Keep it basic and heavy, and eat shit.[/quote]

check, check, what?

i’ll leave all the shit to you

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Your post equals:

-A whole lot of detail about the shit that matters least.

-No detail on the shit that matters most.

You weigh how much? How much have you gained in the past year? How old are you? How long have you been lifting?[/quote]

My bad. I weight 80kg (176lb), I have put on about 8kg in the past year, I am 21 and I have been lifting for 2 years.

I am wanting to get my arms up to scratch because they are letting down my other lifts.

[quote]Vatic wrote:
I am wanting to get my arms up to scratch because they are letting down my other lifts.[/quote]

The main reason why they are small is because they are weak. I weigh less than you, yet my arms are stronger. Not to knock you, just giving you some perspective.

[quote]Vatic wrote:
I am wanting to get my arms up to scratch because they are letting down my other lifts.[/quote]

If you want big arms you need to gain weight, and increase the strength on all your movements. There is no magic program for gaining arm size. I used to always try new shit when I first started lifting and that led to 15 inch biceps for my first year of training and no growth. Once I cut down the volume, stuck to barbell curls and CGP, used heavier weight and overall increased my bodyweight, my arms have grown almost 3 more inches.

It’s not rocket science due, drop the 21’s and the drop sets. Pick 3-4 exercises for tris and the same for bis. Increase the weight on those exercises as frequently as possible, do 3-4 ramp sets, again eat enough, and in a year you should be much further on your way.

I like turtles

keep it simple, throw in some supersets and shockers.

my bi workout looks like this:

1. barbell curls- 1 set warmup, 3x85%-90% to fail…and then some- throw yourself in a surprise on the 2nd or 3rd set by lifting to fail then hold at 90 degrees for as long as possible, put the weight down for 15 seconds and repeat
  2. preacher curls superset w/ concentration curls, 1 set warmup then 4-5 sets absolutely murder them
  3. forearm curls- i like using the tricep bar- 4x10
  4. finish out with cable curls, light weight high rep, really squeeze them in hard

tri workout:

1. skull crushers (sitting upright or laying down)- same set/rep as bi #1.
  2. light skull’s w/ superset single arm extentions- really burn em to fail every set, 4 sets
  3. rope pulldowns, 3 sets to fail
  4. single arm cable extentions, 4x10

ultimately- you’re true gains will be with your diet and your work ethic, not exactly in the changing of a program. However, you’re current program has no powerlifts in it, its all form and concentration shit. Throw in some power lifts for your tri’s like skull-crushers and THEN work on form and concentration for shape.

Keep working hard, hard work=big gains