T Nation

Ladders

What’s the best way for doing ‘Ladders’, most especially for football?

I just did what I think is a deadlift ladder with my teenage football-player son, and that kicked the shit out of me.

Any advice very welcome!

When I do ladders, pullups for ex., how ever long it takes to do a rep is the amount of time I rest between each rep. One rep, rest, two reps, rest, three reps, rest, etc. When I reach what would be failure, I start back over at one rep again. Example 1,2,3,4,5 reps-1 set, 1,2,3,4 reps-2set, and so on. You can do as many sets like this as your body can handle. Just don’t go to failure. Always leave a couple in the hole. This can be done with any exercise. Hope this helps.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
What’s the best way for doing ‘Ladders’, most especially for football?

I just did what I think is a deadlift ladder with my teenage football-player son, and that kicked the shit out of me.

Any advice very welcome![/quote]

I’m not sure whether I have lost something in the translation? Do you mean speed, acceleration, agility work that sort of thing?
Going by the previous post I’m not sure whether I am just not ‘getting it’? Let us know?

Thanks for the responses, guys! My son is a lineman/noseguard and I want him to have more speed and power off the ball. So, we did deads 1,2,…,10 with a medium heavy weight (he is 14, 5’10", 225) We rested only for the time it took the other to do their reps.

Is this a good technique for speed off the ball?

Thanks again guys for any help and sorry if I wasn’t clear.

[quote]NDWillie wrote:
When I do ladders, pullups for ex., how ever long it takes to do a rep is the amount of time I rest between each rep. One rep, rest, two reps, rest, three reps, rest, etc. When I reach what would be failure, I start back over at one rep again. Example 1,2,3,4,5 reps-1 set, 1,2,3,4 reps-2set, and so on. You can do as many sets like this as your body can handle. Just don’t go to failure. Always leave a couple in the hole. This can be done with any exercise. Hope this helps. [/quote]

This is exactly what we did, though I was damn near failure at the end! Keeping up with a 14 year old isn’t as easy as I thought it’d be :slight_smile:

What are the benefits of ladders, anyway?

Any research references or plain “ideas” from people with a solid physiology background?

[quote]AlbertaBeef wrote:

Any research references or plain “ideas” from people with a solid physiology background?[/quote]

You up the volume without working too close to failure. It is also interesting to count in waves :slight_smile:

[quote]AlbertaBeef wrote:

Any research references or plain “ideas” from people with a solid physiology background?[/quote]

Ladders come from Russian strength training. You can do a search for info on them. You can also read about them in the book Power to the People by Pavel.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
NDWillie wrote:
When I do ladders, pullups for ex., how ever long it takes to do a rep is the amount of time I rest between each rep. One rep, rest, two reps, rest, three reps, rest, etc. When I reach what would be failure, I start back over at one rep again.

Example 1,2,3,4,5 reps-1 set, 1,2,3,4 reps-2set, and so on. You can do as many sets like this as your body can handle. Just don’t go to failure. Always leave a couple in the hole. This can be done with any exercise. Hope this helps.

This is exactly what we did, though I was damn near failure at the end! Keeping up with a 14 year old isn’t as easy as I thought it’d be :slight_smile:

Your doing them right then. Keep up the good work and keep the caulk and a towel handy.