Lactose Intolerant from Not Eating Dairy?

Could not eating dairy for years cause one to become lactose intolerant? I have kept my diet the same except recently I added Bobs Red Mill Wheat Bran. There is no dairy ingredient but, it states that it is processed in a facility that manufactures milk, wheat, and soy products. I have eaten it twice with oatmeal and after both times lets just say my stomach was not happy.

I do not beleive it is a reaction to the wheat because I have eaten other wheat grain cereals and it can’t be the fiber because I eat fiber one cereal which has more fiber. Could the product simply being manufactured in the same area as milk products really cause all these problems? How much dairy is in there.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Could not eating dairy for years cause one to become lactose intolerant? I have kept my diet the same except recently I added Bobs Red Mill Wheat Bran. There is no dairy ingredient but, it states that it is processed in a facility that manufactures milk, wheat, and soy products. I have eaten it twice with oatmeal and after both times lets just say my stomach was not happy.

I do not beleive it is a reaction to the wheat because I have eaten other wheat grain cereals and it can’t be the fiber because I eat fiber one cereal which has more fiber. Could the product simply being manufactured in the same area as milk products really cause all these problems? How much dairy is in there.[/quote]

No.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

I do not beleive it is a reaction to the wheat because I have eaten other wheat grain cereals and it can’t be the fiber because I eat fiber one cereal which has more fiber. Could the product simply being manufactured in the same area as milk products really cause all these problems? How much dairy is in there.[/quote]

No.[/quote]

x2

Dairy is not the issue here.

Have you considered drinking a glass of milk and seeing what happens?

BRAN.

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
BRAN.[/quote]

Doubt it I only ate 1/4 a cup which has 6g of fiber. I have eaten a bag of fiber one with no bad issues. If the product (Bobs Redmill Bran) is made in a facilty that also has milk products how much milk product (whey, etc) can be in there, if any.

[quote]anonym wrote:
Have you considered drinking a glass of milk and seeing what happens?[/quote]

Just quoting myself because you clearly lack the ability to notice a good suggestion the first time around.

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
BRAN.[/quote]

Doubt it I only ate 1/4 a cup which has 6g of fiber. I have eaten a bag of fiber one with no bad issues. If the product (Bobs Redmill Bran) is made in a facilty that also has milk products how much milk product (whey, etc) can be in there, if any.[/quote]

Ridiculously small amounts, if any.

This is just a disclaimer for those very rare people who go into anaphylaxis from tiny amounts of an allergen.

THIS IS NOT YOU.

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
BRAN.[/quote]

Doubt it I only ate 1/4 a cup which has 6g of fiber. I have eaten a bag of fiber one with no bad issues. If the product (Bobs Redmill Bran) is made in a facilty that also has milk products how much milk product (whey, etc) can be in there, if any.[/quote]

Different types/sources of fiber effect people definitely.

It’s crazy to believe this has anything to do with dairy.

Bro, eating grains is on part, IF NOT WORSE, than smoking a pack a day!

Seriously though, I doubt it’s a severe allergy to the tiniest speck of lactose. You may have an intolerance to the fiber or even the proteins in wheat bran, as some (not all, Paleo nazis) people do not tolerate certain grains or byproducts well.

Not all fiber is created equal.

So are those labels more of a way for companies to protect themselves from a lawsuit? My little sister is allergic to milk would eating something made in a facility that also makes milk products cause problems? Some people have told us that it is not that much of an issue but, my family figured that it is better to just stay away.

[quote]EvanX wrote:
So are those labels more of a way for companies to protect themselves from a lawsuit? My little sister is allergic to milk would eating something made in a facility that also makes milk products cause problems? Some people have told us that it is not that much of an issue but, my family figured that it is better to just stay away.[/quote]

It’s possible, but unlikely.

Just covering their asses.

But if I was really allergic to something, I’d find products without any concerns.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

Bro, eating grains is on part, IF NOT WORSE, than smoking a pack a day!

Seriously though, I doubt it’s a severe allergy to the tiniest speck of lactose. You may have an intolerance to the fiber or even the proteins in wheat bran, as some (not all, Paleo nazis) people do not tolerate certain grains or byproducts well.

Not all fiber is created equal.[/quote]
So instead of having my cup of oatmeal in the morning, I could smoke a half-pack of Marlboros and be better off health wise?

[quote]AzCats wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

Bro, eating grains is on par, IF NOT WORSE, than smoking a pack a day!

Not all fiber is created equal.[/quote]
So instead of having my cup of oatmeal in the morning, I could smoke a half-pack of Marlboros and be better off health wise?[/quote]

I was being sarcastic, but according to Robb Wolf, yes.