T Nation

Lactate Inducing Workouts

I just using CT’s destroying fat workout.

My probem so far is that the lactate inducing workouts are so damn hard that I can barely make it through a session without wanting to puke and go home.

Are these supposed to be done with relatively light weights? or should I be using the heaviest weight I can for 15 reps?

I can easily get through the first superset with normal weight but by the thrid superset I can barely breath and have to kill myself to use the same starting weight.

ive done meltdown training which i believe is similar and i gotta say if you still feel like a human being after the last superset, or even after the second one you need to up the weights. the whole point of these workouts is to shock your system.

when i did meltdown i got more cut while gaining weight. it was insane and i dont look forward to doing it again.

i remember distinctly curling up into a ball on the bench after the last superset of 10 chinups, 10 squats, 10 pushups, and 10 deadlifts

Good than I will take that as I am on the right track.

How long did you run the program for before your results fell off?

[quote]BROOTAL wrote:
Good than I will take that as I am on the right track.

How long did you run the program for before your results fell off?

[/quote]

about a month, i fell off because my nutritional / caloric intake wasn’t sufficient and i started getting really overtrained. but like i said, i still gained muscle mass and shed fat.

keep your food intake at a sufficient level because although you may feel like you need to cut more and more calories if you are trying to drop fat, these workouts boost your metabolism so high that it throws all your normal caloric standards way off. thats what i found at least. go fuckin nitro in the gym and embrace the puke

i plan on doing it again as soon as i get my strength up

You can also supplement with sodium bicarbonate. This should help offset the nausea produced by the build up of lactic acid. Details can be found in point six of the following article:

I’m in my third week of meltdown. I have felt nauseous after every workout but particularly the squat/dlift day. Most times I end up in a ball on the floor sobbing gently.

Today was the least painful day I’ve had on it. Severe headache at the end but only a passing wave of nausea but my hands shook for about 2 hours after.

If I ever meet Don Alessi I’m going to kick his ass. The fucker.

sounds like an interesting program, might give it a shot at the start of next year…could someone please post a link too meltdown training?

Man this program is fking insane. The first set of the circuit is alrite. But from then on u feel like your about to faint and can’t go on. I rest for probably close to 5 minutes after completeing 3 sets of circuit 1. But the rest never seems to be enough… The lactate inducing workouts really test your muscular endurance.

[quote]jtg987 wrote:
sounds like an interesting program, might give it a shot at the start of next year…could someone please post a link too meltdown training?[/quote]

Meltdown I:

Meltdown II:

Meltdown training is brutal, excelent routine for fat loss and conditioning for martial arts etc
I’m curious, what weights are you guys using in meltdown circuits? Please post your bw too.

Try this one by Poliquin if your one doesn’t work out for you. A very methodical approach as usual by the best coach ever! Seams like you are not ready for the one you are doing now.

meltdown training is always the routine i go back to when it’s time to drop some fat. it usually kicks ass for about 6-8 weeks for me, then it’s time to move on to something else.

i think last time around, i was using 205 lbs for squat/deadlift day, and 125 or 135 for lunge/bent over row day.

brutal, but awesome.

[quote]BROOTAL wrote:
I just using CT’s destroying fat workout.

My probem so far is that the lactate inducing workouts are so damn hard that I can barely make it through a session without wanting to puke and go home.

Are these supposed to be done with relatively light weights? or should I be using the heaviest weight I can for 15 reps?

I can easily get through the first superset with normal weight but by the thrid superset I can barely breath and have to kill myself to use the same starting weight.

[/quote]

When you first started lifting did you go in the gym and bench 300lbs? No? Then why do you think anaerobic conditioning is any different?

Ever heard of progression?

This type of training is more vascular in nature so you are training your heart, lunges, and vascular system as much or more than the actual muscle motor unit.

So use less weight and then build up. Since this kind of training does not build maximal strength anyway, it shouldn’t matter if you drop the load a little and then build back up.

at b/w of 175 for day 1 i was squatting 205, d/l 225, b/w pushups, b/w chins

cant remember day 2 stats

I just recently started meltdown training last monday and HOLY SHIT. It was one of the toughest things I have ever physically done. Days 2 and 4 though seem to be a little bit easier than days 1 and 3, although they still kick my ass I dont get the whole light headed, ringing ears, feeling like im going to puke feeling.

Didn’t want to make a new thread about this, so I hope the bump is okay.

I was just wondering how long each circuit in a LI workout should be. I can currently only handle about 7-10 minutes each, two circuits. Is that long enough?

[quote]McNulty wrote:
Didn’t want to make a new thread about this, so I hope the bump is okay.

I was just wondering how long each circuit in a LI workout should be. I can currently only handle about 7-10 minutes each, two circuits. Is that long enough?[/quote]

I remember an article that said you should aim for at least 20 mins of elevated lactate. My LI’s last about 25 mins, (now with low intensity cardio right after) but then again, tabata is much shorter but effective for the same reasons (may be wrong on that)

20 minutes minimum? Thanks, do you know where you read that article?

I just wanted to say I thought this thread was gonna be about “Lactating” inducing workouts - Carry on…

lol, that would certainly be something different.