Lacking Sartorius Development

Hey All,

I am seriously lacking in any inner thigh development and need some tips on how to really fill this are in. I was reading the following article:

Bulk Up, Cut Up: Quads and Tri’s
by Christian Thibaudeau | Wed, Aug 09, 2006

My constraints are that I workout in my garage and only have free weights: barbells, dumbells, squat stands, etc.

Hopefully someone, maybe even Christian Thibaudeau could chime in.

Thanks!

My inner thighs are absolutely destroyed by squatting with a close stance to depth.

but that’s just me.

How much do you weight?

Approx. 215 lb.

squats and…??

I guess I should have prefaced this email with a bit more info.

I typically squat, a bit wider than shoulder width stance, toes out so knees are over toes, about parallel. Can’t hit below as of now due to lack of proper flexability.

My inner thighs are well developed, but that may be genetics as I have big legs. Even when I’m carrying quite a bit of extra weight I still get comments on my thighs and calves.

I just squatted like crazy. Full and half squats (I guess some people would call them 1/4s, I mean above parallel) and front squats.

I was doing two sets of 20rep squat ‘progam’ a week. ie 1-2 bodyweight sets of 10 to warm up then 2-3 warmups with increasing weight then a 20 rep set with a weight that smashed me by 10 reps and then just breath it out to 20 :stuck_out_tongue: Jelly legs to the max.

I did that for about three months, now I work legs 4x a week in a push-pull routine and they’re loving it.

I had massive flexibility issues at the beginning. If I can reccomend two things, then first thing would be the sitting style that was suggested by one of the article here. Basically full squat position for as long as you can hold it. At first for me it was about 5 seconds but now it’d be minutes I reckon. that was the bigest contributor to my hip flexibility. Secondly I’d add a back roll down to your stretching (not before weights, just in general) you do it in most pilates classes, that gets my back limbre like nothing else.

Anyway good luck, but if you have free weights then DB squats, thrusters, lunges and push presses is what I’d look at in that order.

squat deeper and get deadlifting, i cant imagine you having a problem after that

The sartorius will not contribute much mass even if freakishly overdeveloped. Adductors will though

Grrrr, You are right. Looking back on it I made a mistake and meant Adductors. I read the anatomy chart wrong. Of course I would like to build up the larger muscle mass not the smaller one. :).

Deadlifts with a sumo stance.

You could also stand on medium sized hand towels and slide laterally apart and together on some type of slick surface like wood or linoleum…that’s sort of like the adductor machine.

[quote]gone heavy wrote:
Deadlifts with a sumo stance.
[/quote]

That would be my recommendation do.

For the last competition I did, the only lower body exercises I did regularily were squats, sumo deadlifts and 1-2 assistance moves.

Regarding the work out described in the “All be damned, it works” article. Can you give some examples for the bi/ tri strength move, bi/ tri functional hypertrophy, and bi/ tri hypertrophy.

Hmmm,

I don’t want to hijack the thread, but I have a small biomechanical question;
Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey have, as I recall, talked about sartorius tightness contributing to some biomechanical problems, namely valgus (knock knees).

Since sumo-stance deadlifting apparently contributes to developing the sartorius, would it be safe to say that if an athlete is working on reducing valgus, he or she should more or less stay away from sumo deadlifting?

[quote]PaleriderXXI wrote:
Regarding the work out described in the “All be damned, it works” article. Can you give some examples for the bi/ tri strength move, bi/ tri functional hypertrophy, and bi/ tri hypertrophy. [/quote]

wow total hijack of the thread

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
L-Dee wrote:
Hmmm,

I don’t want to hijack the thread, but I have a small biomechanical question;
Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey have, as I recall, talked about sartorius tightness contributing to some biomechanical problems, namely valgus (knock knees).

Since sumo-stance deadlifting apparently contributes to developing the sartorius, would it be safe to say that if an athlete is working on reducing valgus, he or she should more or less stay away from sumo deadlifting?

I think people are suggesting sumo stance exercises to work the adductors not the sartorius.

BBB[/quote]

Well I kind of deducted that the sartorius would be developed by doing sumo stance deadlifting.
And tight adductor muscles contribute to valgus as well.