Lacking Lower Quad Mass

Hey guys!

I noticed today I’m lacking mass at the top of my knee/lower quad.
Any advice for corrections?

post a pic so we can get an idea wtf you are talking about?

go ATG if your not already. get o-lifting shoes. front squat more often. do poliquin and/or peterson step-ups. leg press with the feet lower on the platform. when you lunge make sure your knees go over your toes.

I’m pretty sure he is talking about the tear drop and lateralis. What exercises do you currently do for legs? I found that the leg press, feet close together and pushing with the balls of your feet always worked your problem area more. You could also do deep front squats, and/or close stance sqauts in the smith machine.

There are tons of other ways to improve that area, but the most important thing is to remember to really focus on workingh that part of your leg when executing a movement. If you feel more of the work from other areas in your quad then lower the weight and find a tempo that you feel works that area of your legs best. Hopefully that made sense.

[quote]gato10 wrote:
I’m pretty sure he is talking about the tear drop and lateralis. What exercises do you currently do for legs? I found that the leg press, feet close together and pushing with the balls of your feet always worked your problem area more. You could also do deep front squats, and/or close stance sqauts in the smith machine.

There are tons of other ways to improve that area, but the most important thing is to remember to really focus on workingh that part of your leg when executing a movement. If you feel more of the work from other areas in your quad then lower the weight and find a tempo that you feel works that area of your legs best. Hopefully that made sense. [/quote]

im pretty sure OP hasnt build much in the way of appreciable leg mass as is effectively asking “how do i build the peaks on my biceps?”

Thanks for the response and help guys!
Right now I’ve been doing hack squats (parallel), leg extensions, leg curls, seat and standing calf raises.
That’s leg day for me, I’ll start doing ATG front squats this week.

Thanks a bunch guys!

More size and then work on leanness. I made a thread about this two years ago. I now have “knee overlap”. I as there all the time, I just needed to get lean enough to see it.

If you don’t have big quads, work on that first…and yes, full range of motion can also help but I would say to a lesser degree overall.

Thanks for the input, X!

I got the biggest vastus medialis development (tear drop muscle) when I was competing in olympic lifting and ATG front squats and back squats were the only actual “leg exercises” that I did.

My VMO was so well developed that during a caliper (body fat test) where you measure the quads fold midway between the knee cap and hip… and the guy doing the measurement (a Ph.D in exercise science and the guy teaching the class) thought that my VMO was my knee!!!

When I got into bodybuilding I didn’t do much squatting (I squatted 4-6 times a week for 6 years as an olympic lifter, kinda got fed up with that lift) but used double contraction bulgarian split squats to build my VMO… I would basically to a bulgarian split squat from the down to the up position, then would go halfway down and back up… that was ONE rep.

Front Squat butt to calves.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
More size and then work on leanness. I made a thread about this two years ago. I now have “knee overlap”. I as there all the time, I just needed to get lean enough to see it.

If you don’t have big quads, work on that first…and yes, full range of motion can also help but I would say to a lesser degree overall.[/quote]

Brilliant advice.

Among othere things stretch your quads very thorougly post workout

If you don’t have big quads, work on that first…and yes, full range of motion can also help but I would say to a lesser degree overall.[/quote]

knee overlap?

[quote]Waittz wrote:

knee overlap? [/quote]

It refers to the look of the lower quads over the knee when you have enough mass and can see at least some separation. That’s just what I call it. You can have really big quads but if you aren’t lean enough, it takes away from the effect near the knee.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

knee overlap? [/quote]

It refers to the look of the lower quads over the knee when you have enough mass and can see at least some separation. That’s just what I call it. You can have really big quads but if you aren’t lean enough, it takes away from the effect near the knee.[/quote]

Gotcha, I like it. I am now stealing your term for future reference and will not be citing you.

Front squats. Deep.

oly squat and pause squats

Foot Placement for the ATG front Squats , do you use less than shoulder width placement or wider than shoulder width ?

My main point is that I am a competitive cyclist/ xc skate skier first and powerlifter second. So I try to replicate as closely as possible that which will cross over the best.

Thanks for all the great input across the ages, killerDIRK.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
…and VMO’s.[/quote]

Bro, think of the biceps. Gonna snap your shit all kinds of up.