Lack of Progress - What to Do?

Hi,
I’ve been following full body training for some time. I got severly overtraind (or overreached - whatever) and decided to do some time off. However i had lots of work in the off time. When i got back to the gym i found myself pretty weak - i can hardly do workouts with reduced weigth from where i stopped (90%).

What would you advice? Taking some more time off? I don’t like wasting time and taking breaks but if that’s what needed… I also realise that i probably ate not enought (i was cutting previously and was afraid of fat gain).

Or maybe switch things up and start a new program? I’ve been using an AB split, only compounds.

Guys, will you help a t-boy in need? (:

How about more specifics? Height/weight, how long has the break been, how long you have been lifting, your workout routine including approx lifts, your diet, your goals, you know, details.

6.2", around 180pounds, bf pretty low, former fat boy, on thyroid medicine (t4+t3). I took 10 days off, cause was nearly colapsing at the end of cycle.

I trained 3x a week : AB full body with reps scheme like this : 15-10-5 :
Monday : A, reps 15, 3series, last one RM
Tuesday : B, reps 10, 4 series, last one RM
Friday : A, reps 5, 5 series, last one RM too.

A : bench press, squat, high pulls, 1arm rows, bi/tri
B : military press, deadlift, chin ups, front squat

The training routine followed pretty demanding combination of hiit and edt - which caused much stress - and since than my body temp is low and so is the blood pressure, and i can’t get it up.
I follow Metabolism repair diet :

6 meals : 3 protein with carbs, 3 pro with fats
3 servings of fruit, 80-100kcal each
3 servings of carbs, 45grams each
fats, 95grams each day : fish oil, olive oil, flax oil, nuts (almonds, walnuts), maybe i’m a bit too low on saturated fats - i upped fats from original 0,4 grams per pound of bodyweight but i didn’t really help
serving of beans

I think i will add more carbs but it gets hard not to mix carbs with fats than.

I really need some directions to help me solve things out, cause i have the feeling that i’ve been running in circles in terms of body-composition rebuild. Regards,

don’t worry about temporary strength loss. Cycle your training so you start well below your previous max and build up weekly to go beyond your previous max then take a break and change around the exercises. Read some of the plans on this site for ideas.

Drop back down to 80% of your previous best poundages, then come back slowly over 4-8 weeks depending on how it feels. Then resume training on a less systemically demanding program than the one that drove you to exhaustion.

[quote]Blinq wrote:
<<< I also realise that i probably ate not enought (i was cutting previously and was afraid of fat gain). >>>[/quote]

A major part of your answer lies right here. I know what it’s like to be a fat disgusting pig and do understand the fear of ever returning to that state. However, if you want to make progress under the weights you are going to have to plain resign yourself to the fact that there is NO WAY you are going to stay near 6.2% BF, assuming that’s even accurate, and make any significant strength/size gains.

Another factor is the thyroid meds about which I claim no expertise, but that could have unknown effects as well.

In any case, no fuel = no progress. There’s no escaping that. You DO NOT ever have to be fat again, but you will have to soften up some to move forward.

Thanks for posting your stats - I would tend to agree with Tribulus - no fuel, no progress.

Other than that, who designed your program? With that rep scheme, it seems that you would be training for something in the near future, like a contest or something.

You keep peaking every Friday, like clockwork, yet there is no payoff. Monday it starts again. No wonder your body is worn out. It would probably help you if you didn’t try for a 1RM PR every workout.

Fix your food intake, change your workout - maybe a straight 5x5 - see what that does for you.

Good Luck.

Thank you for your input guys. I’m fine with 5x5 - which one would you recommend? The one by bill starr seems popular, worth trying it out?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

there is NO WAY you are going to stay near 6.2% BF, assuming that’s even accurate, and make any significant strength/size gains.

[/quote]

Trib,
He said he was 6 foot 2, not 6.2% BF.

[quote]whosyobobby wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:

there is NO WAY you are going to stay near 6.2% BF, assuming that’s even accurate, and make any significant strength/size gains.

Trib,
He said he was 6 foot 2, not 6.2% BF.
[/quote]

Well, GAHHHLEEE

I have to start reading more attentively lately.

I stand corrected. My apologies to the OP.

Yup, i’m nowhere near 6% bf - closer to 10% maybe. Anyone could share some more about training ideas? I considered hst too, what you think guys?

[quote]Blinq wrote:
Thank you for your input guys. I’m fine with 5x5 - which one would you recommend? The one by bill starr seems popular, worth trying it out? [/quote]

I loved the Bill Starr 5x5.