T Nation

Lack of Flexibility/Muscle Weakness

So as part of my living to age 50 goal. I've been trying to start dead lifting and squating recently. My back muscles are so tight it hurts to dead lift even with light weight. I concentrate on keeping my form as good as I can but my shoulders are total shit.

So what do you guys recommend to increase flexibility and muscle weakness? I think I would probably be better off working all muscles involved in squating and dling for a few weeks. What do you think?

Keep lifting. Do lots of good mornings. You should LIVE on good mornings at this stage.

Additionally, do a lot of static stretching on off days and dynamic stretching on lifting days.

Also, get acquainted with ART, someone to give you massages and the foam roller, as they are all part of the equation when considering flexibility.

This is a situation where you have to bite through the pain on the stretches, but don't take that as an invitation to lift weights you can't handle with good form. Use your best judgment here.

Your back is fine your hips are fucked up. Work on dynamic stretching mainly, your external rotators, hip flexors, adductors, and get your glutes going bud.

Post pics of your form we will be able to help you much easier.

we really need to see a vid of your form

Good for you!

Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson are known for being mobility experts, so check out their articles/websites. Foam rolling should be your friend.