T Nation

Labs - Low Libido and Sweats

Hi,

I am finding that I have very low libido and I am breaking out in a sweat ridiculously easily (last 6-12 months). I had labs done via Andrologist and he is basically not going to do anything more because “everything is within range”.

I can see that my SHBG and ED (144pmol/l = 39.1pg/ml) are very high end of the range - what can I do about this? Take some Anastrozole? start a TRT (I don’t want to go on TRT if I can avoid it - I am 39yrs old).

according to net calculators I have 0.364 nmol/l (1.59%) free test and 8.53 nmol/l (37.4%) bio-avail test.

thanks

Assuming the testosterone value on the lab is total testosterone, it is falsely inflated by your high SHBG. I have the same issue. You need to have free testosterone tested as well as LH. Your free testosterone is most likely on the lower end of the range based on your SHBG value.

Your prolactin is very high as well, only 4 points below the maximum value. This significantly affects libido.

Estradiol looks to be in the higher end of the normal range. This could be contributing to the elevated SHBG.

yes agree on all the points. But the andrologist is not going to do anything more with me - he is happy with the results (love the NHS in UK)

any tips on synthetic ways to get this sorted?

There’s your problem, the NHS is a joke and they will deny you outright regardless if your low or not. Go to a private practice endocrinologist as the NHS simply doesn’t want to pay for your necessary treatment.

Anytime my estrogen gets in the high end of normal I start to get sick and feel terrible. Specifically, I’ve dealt with loss of libido, night sweats, anxiety, and just plain feel like shit. Even though I fall within the normal range I’m very E sensitive, you may be too.

You may want to remind your Dr. that you’re a human, not a number, and the purpose of treatment is symptom relief not increased pain. Good luck, and I hope you find a solution soon!

Your SHBG needs to be addressed. Lots of guys on here have the same issue. Basics. SHBG is created by the liver. SHBG binds to testosterone making it basically inactive. Usually if someone’s SHBG is that high is because of medications/alcohol/drugs. That means ANY medication, from BP meds to thyroid meds to benzos. Once you stop any of that, I have been reading up on liver detox. Right now im taking milk thistle, TMG and Sam-e for liver detox reasons. I recently had a SHBG of 70, that went up from around 50. And it was because I started lisinopril, which I have changed. My last liver values my bilirubin was also a little high, so I know my liver needs help.

thanks for that - I will try and get more tests done on the liver side of things. I don’t drink (quit about 6 months ago - even then was just a weekend binge drinker on nights out, not a regular/social drinker), not taking any medication of any kind - just the usual mutli-vits and herbs. Whey protein, etc.

Was taking Finnastride a while back but stopped that also.

These tests were done 2 months back so was totally clean of the above by that time - by a good 2-3 months.

I will do a liver detox too just incase - no worries.

Finasteride… I don’t know if you’ve read about it, but it can permanently damage your endocrine system. DHT is vital when it comes to libido, that could also be part of the puzzle. Some people never recover from finasteride syndrome, others it takes years.

yep absolutely right again!

I have been reading up loads on PFS (post finastride symptom) -> this increases all of Prolactin, SHBG, and E2 - because Finnastride can change the way the receptors work permanently. This is the most convincing theory for my case I have seen - unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a cure for it. It is permanent supposedly. Some have overcome it using diet, exercise, etc …

Researching this angle more.

someone’s cure linked here

So for now I am satisfied that I have found the angle where all this is coming from - I can work towards fixing it

Don’t give up hope. Even if you cant “fix” the problem with a cure, there are medications that can lower prolactin, E2 (and shbg, danazol). But I think that a Health centric approach, exercise, diet, cardio, could definitely makes things better. Good luck. Keep this updated.

looks like a long road, but feasible.

Your FSH is rather high, suggesting that you have a degree of secondary hypogonadism. Assuming FT bio-T are low in absolute terms, you are estrogen dominant and elevated prolactin can only make things worse. Are you showing any signs of gyno?

fT4 is well below mid-range. Please see below re oral body temperatures to eval overall thyroid function. Many in UK are iodine deficient as iodized salt is not generally on the shelves. If you are not consuming dairy, you do not get iodine via that.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab number and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.

yes feel like I am getting gyno in the last 6 months

I already posted my body temps - they were super low. Started supplementing with Iodine 12.5mg / day (did go as high as 50mg / day for a few days)

Please 200mcg selenium, very important.

Do you have complete blood work and hematocrit?

Have you been where you could have been exposed to tropical diseases?

ok - will add selenium
do you mean this blood work?

This is from Jan 2017 - I got LOADS more done.

I am always in some place where there could be tropical diseases (Thailand usually, but also Malaysia, etc)

I spent all night reading about PFS - I am more and more sure THIS IS IT. It is too bad there is no cure for it - lot of anecdotal evidence and theories - but nothing consistently proven. Taking chemicals/pharma to reduce other androgens (eg. Prolactin, SHBG, E2) will only cause the body to find some other way to create problems as the negative and positive feedbacks kick in. I am in a happier place now. I have given up on my libido and will live life constructively knowing I will never have any libido again. If it ever comes back … welcome, let’s enjoy life together!

Anybody that says this has given up on getting any better.

That is totally misguided.

Ok, I respect that and I am not that knowledgable. What would you do/take if you were in this situation and 39yr old single guy?

In terms of natural, I started today on 14 day juice fast, and taking the liver detox suggested above and then staying with vegan diet for few weeks.

Ofcourse gym, running, yoga to continue.

recently realised that I was actually posting in someone else’s thread. So bringing postings back into my thread - if nothing else, then to keep a record of what has happened so far.

These new bloods were taken (paid out of my pocket - $500 odd) after being free of taking any serious stuff at all for a LONG TIME (months).

The main takeaway from these was that while in lab range, I am not in functional range for Thyroid values. My SHBG, E2, Prolactin remain high. My Test is relatively high for me compared to my younger years. So SHBG is binding to Test and my E2 are high, my TSH is low as is my T3 -> all leading to my symptoms. I would guess something going on with my pituitary?

Anyway, so after that for two weeks I took iodrial, selenium, proviron (100mg) + anastrozole EOD 1/2 pill (under ground labs). The results were interesting - will post in next couple of days. My libido has improved drastically. My E2 has dropped to the floor, my SHBG has slightly lowered. Testing also to see if my HGH is real via 3 hr GH serum test.

one week clean then tomorrow 4 x Saliva test tomorrow for Cortisol and DHEA-S

So that takes care of all my baseline testing. Time to ramp it up!

The iodrial/selenium did not help at all in my case. Body temps remain unchanged.

Plan from here is to take 2 tabs of natural thyroid pills a day, back on Proviron (but reducing it to 50mg ED), anastrozole - reduce that dose too as E2 went down too much. Small doses of danazol and cabergoline for a very short while (week here and there). HGH 2-4 UI /day. Then in about 3 weeks start on 250mg / week Sustanon250, peaking at 500mg for 2 weeks; total of 8-10 weeks- SC, not IM. Then HPTA restart protocol as per this website. I will have synthetic T3 and T4 as well but will try with the natural thyroid (NDT).

Thank god I live in UK where all this is allowed :slight_smile:

Exciting times ahead :weight_lifting_woman::running_man::man_dancing::man_dancing:

also did a Thyroid ultrasound, privately :frowning: found some nodules, etc - so radiologist recommended seeing my GP and getting a biopsy organised. not worried - but will be good to get it done.