T Nation

Lab Work

Hey guys, i would like to test my blood for test, estrogen, thyroid and cortisol. In my country you can do it only in private labs on request (insurance doesnt cover this), so i am asking for help with what tests exactly i need to order (i dont want to ask them cause they can add all kind of tests to max the bill).

[quote]dodo888 wrote:
Hey guys, i would like to test my blood for test, estrogen, thyroid and cortisol. In my country you can do it only in private labs on request (insurance doesnt cover this), so i am asking for help with what tests exactly i need to order (i dont want to ask them cause they can add all kind of tests to max the bill). [/quote]

You wrote that you want to test for T, estradiol, thyroid, and cortisol. Then you asked what tests should you order.

I is confused.

[quote]dodo888 wrote:
Hey guys, i would like to test my blood for test, estrogen, thyroid and cortisol. In my country you can do it only in private labs on request (insurance doesnt cover this), so i am asking for help with what tests exactly i need to order (i dont want to ask them cause they can add all kind of tests to max the bill). [/quote]

Speaking as a physician, I will decline to suggest any specific tests. However, I will offer you these observations. Before ordering a study of any sort (lab test, imaging, etc), a good clinician already knows two things:

1. Why s/he is ordering each specific test; and
  2. what s/he is going to do if a given test comes back abnormal.

So I would suggest that, before you shell out a lot of money ‘shotgunning’ labs (the term of disparagement used to describe a poorly-thought-out set of lab/imaging studies), make sure you have a very clear response to both of my points above. Best of luck.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]dodo888 wrote:

You wrote that you want to test for T, estradiol, thyroid, and cortisol. Then you asked what tests should you order.

I is confused. [/quote]

i didnt know names (like for thyroid t3, t4, tsh), thats what i was asking

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]dodo888 wrote:

Speaking as a physician, I will decline to suggest any specific tests. However, I will offer you these observations. Before ordering a study of any sort (lab test, imaging, etc), a good clinician already knows two things:

1. Why s/he is ordering each specific test; and
  2. what s/he is going to do if a given test comes back abnormal.

So I would suggest that, before you shell out a lot of money ‘shotgunning’ labs (the term of disparagement used to describe a poorly-thought-out set of lab/imaging studies), make sure you have a very clear response to both of my points above. Best of luck.[/quote]

my friend who is a coach suggested to me that i check my hormones, cause i have very difficult time losing fat. i suspected either cortisol chronnicaly elevated, or my test aromatises more ( i have limited knowledge about this thing). so to stop guessing what could be wrong i wanted to check what is really going on

TT
FT
E2
LH/FSH
prolactin if younger if [TT, FT and FSH are low]
CBC
AM cortisol
TSH
fT3
fT4 [please not T3, T4]

Low T or low thyroid function can lead to weight gain and inability to loose fat.

Please check overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures:

• when you first wake up, should be 97.7-97.8F, higher is OK, 97.3F is a problem
  • also check to see of you get 98.6F/37C mid-afternoon
  • if temps are low, can be from not using iodized salt
  • if temps are good, skip TSH, fT3, fT4 labs

Read these stickies:

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones

Could have had better recommendations. Do not know your age or other concerns or health issues.

ok i measured my temperature morning was 97.16, mid afternoon is 97.34…i guess one day isnt enough so i’ll keep tracking

ok, temperature is low around 36, but it was measured under armpit. i found one product (algae tablets-kelp) and each pill has 225 mcg of Iodine, so i was wondering is that good (3-4 pills daily)?

checking oral body temperatures
-------------^^^^^