T Nation

Lab Test That Detects Test >1500 ng/dl?

Did a quick search and couldn’t find an answer… I usually get the Hormone Panel for Females from Privatemdlabs, but the testosterone only measures up to 1500ng/dl. Anybody know of a lab test that would go well beyond the normal range?

I see this Menopause 2012 test from Privatemdlabs that looks to be the same as Hormone Panel for Females, and wondering if that might have a different testosterone reference range. I’m also aware of lef.org, but don’t know the ranges for any of their tests.

The lab that does the actual testing, not privatemdlabs, sets the ranges. In this case, it’s Labcorp.

I believe Quest will test up to 5000.

Awesome, thanks. Yeah, the lab is smart enough to know I’m a man even though I order the Female Profile, so it makes sense that they also adjust the ranges.

[quote]jimbo12 wrote:
Awesome, thanks. Yeah, the lab is smart enough to know I’m a man even though I order the Female Profile, so it makes sense that they also adjust the ranges.[/quote]

I’m not sure what you mean by this…?

I’ve used privatemdlabs a lot. When you’re signing up for the panel, they ask you what you’re gender is. I don’t believe they “adjust” the ranges, I just don’t think they test for supraphysiologic amounts of test. You could try contacting LEF or other companies like them and ask who actually performs the testing for them. If it’s Labcorp, you’re going to run into the same problem.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]jimbo12 wrote:
Awesome, thanks. Yeah, the lab is smart enough to know I’m a man even though I order the Female Profile, so it makes sense that they also adjust the ranges.[/quote]

I’m not sure what you mean by this…?

I’ve used privatemdlabs a lot. When you’re signing up for the panel, they ask you what you’re gender is. I don’t believe they “adjust” the ranges, I just don’t think they test for supraphysiologic amounts of test. You could try contacting LEF or other companies like them and ask who actually performs the testing for them. If it’s Labcorp, you’re going to run into the same problem.
[/quote]

I simply mean that their ranges correspond to what you’d expect for a man if you indicate you are a man. It looks like LEF is also Labcorp. Unfortunately, I cannot find online lab order sites that work with Quest. I’m also reading that Quest is a little stricter in terms of wanting a legit doc signature.