Lab Results and Symptoms

Hey all, it’s been a few years since I’ve posted.

I just had a lab panel done due to symptoms of moderate fatigue, apathy and general feeling of shittiness for the last about 8 months of my life. Career, family and almost everything is going well so I figured it must be hormonal. My libido has been the lowest in my life, I can barely get through a full workout in the gym and feel generally depressed. My doctor said my results are normal but many are in the lowest range of normal. I’m a 30 y.o who weighs about 248 and has no health problems.

Prolactin 9.17 ng/ml (2.64-13.13) all ranges in parenthesis
PSA Total 0.45 ng/ml (0-4)
T3 Free 2.75 pg/ml (2.39-5.79)
T3 total 136 ng/dl (87-187)
T4 7.53 ug/dl (6-12)
T4 free 0.90 ng/dl (0.58-1.64)

Test total 352 ng/dl (175-781)
SHBG 50.7 nmol/ml (13.30-89.50)
Test free 5.24 ng/dl (4.6-22.4)
Test bio available 128.28 ng/dl (110-575)
Albumin 4.5 g/dl (4.2-5.5)

TSH 1.87 Uiu/mL (0.34-5.60)
Vit B-12 375 pg/ml
Vit D25 OH 33.7 ng/ml

I’d be truly indebted if any of you veterans who really understand these levels could chime in. I mean, I have a degree in biochem and practice Physical Therapy but am in now way a hormone expert. Is it common to be at the low range and still feel many symptoms.

Please read these stickies: - lots of reading

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • thyroid basics

At your age, you need to look at a cause that might be fixable.

Labs: need LH/FSH to see if you are primary or secondary hypo
Also need E2 estradiol and AST/ALT

TSH 1.87 Uiu/mL (0.34-5.60)
T3 Free 2.75 pg/ml (2.39-5.79)
T3 total 136 ng/dl (87-187)
T4 7.53 ug/dl (6-12)
T4 free 0.90 ng/dl (0.58-1.64)

TSH should be nearer to 1.0 and the others should be mid-range or slightly higher.
You appear to have some degree of [subclinical] hypothyroidism.
To eval your overall thyroid function, get your oral body temperatures:

• when you first wake up, should be 87.7-97.8, higher is OK, 97.3 is a problem
  • also check for 98.6 mid-afternoon

If you have not been using iodized salt long term, that can be the source of the problem.

Thyroid symptom:

• feeling cold easily
  • low energy, depression
  • dry skin
  • general non male pattern hair thinning
  • sparse outer eyebrows
  • thyroid sore, enlarged, lumpy, asymmetrical

Have you used any hair loss drugs? That can cause major problems [train wreck] for some guys.

Read the stickies then come back with whatever catches your attention.

Ok I’m chipping away at those stickies, my apologies for not reading those first.

Morning temp is 97.3, mid afternoon is 97.9-98.3. I was told by doc I have Reynauds phenom because of very cold fingers and toes for about last 6 years, yet never feel pain or blanching in fingers.

I used propecia for about 3 months when I first started my male pattern baldness at 17 yo ( that’s 13 years ago) but never used that again as it was worthless. Never ran gear before.

As for symptoms, almost all the thyroid ones you’ve listed besides non pattern baldness and dry skin. I find it amazing that I’ve noticed my tonsils always slightly swollen even though I don’t have any infections. My doc said I was just looking too into it (yea another basically worthless MD). He told me I probably have sleep apnea even though wife tells me I barely snore and never gasp for air or wake up at night.

Last tidbit, I started taking ZMA about 4 weeks ago and must say that my subjective symptoms have improved at least 50%, especially apathy and libido.

Thanks for your brain brother, reason I joined T-Nation about 12 years ago.