L5-S1 Spinal Fusion Recovery

Hello All… I was diagnosed with a severely herniated L5 disc. They claimed there was nothing that could be done without fusion. Ultimately, I believe they did… I believe… an Open L5-S1 TLIF. They put two rods and material to fuse the discs. I am in the military. They claim I am able to return to work in 30-45 days. They also claim the joint will be solid within 90 days. Then, I will be deployable within 6 months. Everything I have read on the site says that there is almost a year to completely solidify and recover from this procedure.

Also, what is the basic recovery period to be able to do basic gym work and start some kind of cardio. I understand that there is a lot of stabilization that needs to take place as well.

Any help that could be given will help greatly!!

Thank you everyone in advance…

After you are out of the acute phase of recovery, and you start doing the lumbar stabalization exercises that they probably showed you, you will probably be feeling a whole lot better than before the surgery as far as activity goes. Stability will be key, strengthening and stretching is equally important. Cardio shouldn’t be an issue within a few weeks. But it does take a while for full fusion, which will depend a lot on your keeping up with rehab. And I agree with BBB, nutrients are key, and peptides could be huge for speeding things up.

Thanks for the information. Actually, they have said I won’t even go to therapy. They gave me some BS leg lift and calf stretching exercises. Which I know is certainly no way of recovering. I know through research through this site and other people some ways to go with my own therapy. Just don’t want to jump in too fast! Thank you both for the advice and on nutrient idea. I will check it out.

I am 36 years old, by the way.

[quote]jimmyiosis wrote:
After you are out of the acute phase of recovery, and you start doing the lumbar stabalization exercises that they probably showed you, you will probably be feeling a whole lot better than before the surgery as far as activity goes. Stability will be key, strengthening and stretching is equally important. Cardio shouldn’t be an issue within a few weeks. But it does take a while for full fusion, which will depend a lot on your keeping up with rehab. And I agree with BBB, nutrients are key, and peptides could be huge for speeding things up.[/quote]

DarkHorse–I don’t mean to pirate your thread, but I’d like to ask a couple questions about above post. I recently had cervical spine surgery, so I’m curious if above statement applies to my situation.

My questions are as follows:

1). Peptides: I’m taking my usual multi-vitamin in addition to Citrecal, vitamin E, Vitamin B, Glucosamine. But I don’t know what peptides are. Would you kindly provide some more information, or point me toward some information so I can educate myself?

2). Fusion: I had c4-c5 fused. Assuming dedicated rehab, about how long does it take for full fusion to occur? I assume strength training should begin slowly with lighter weights/higher reps. But is it safe to assume a patient could resume “heavy” lifting (i.e. 3-5 reps) of squats, cleans, deadlifts etc. after fusion occurs?

14 February 2012 I had discectomy in c4-c5, and a partial discectomy in c6-c7. Additionally, I had foraminotimies (sp?) in c4-c5 and c6-c7. I’m just starting rehab, and doing some cardio, stretching, and bodyweight strength training on my own.

Thanks in advance for any information you provide.