T Nation

L4-L5 Herniation and Reverse Hypers

Since a slip and fall while on Ski Patrol in January of 2010, I have two 6mm disc herniations at L3-4 and L4-5 with fractured Left Lateral Processes of L3-L5.

My question is this: Everyone knows Louis Simmons designed and patented the Reverse Hyper specifically for his blown back.

My question is this, what are my Best options as far as Reps/Sets to help keep my back strong ? Would it be the same as a normal training regime ?

At 47 years young, I want a long and fullfilling lifting career.
Thanks for all the feedback ...killerDIRK

Initially i was doing it 4-5 times a week 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps with bands or bodyweight

I feel like the more i do it, the better my back feels, if i had the opportunity, i'd do it everyday, even if for bodyweight

Initially after injury, i started doing it 3-4 times a week 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps

Once my back got better, i dropped it 1-2 times a week but nearly did it every week at least once

If i have the opportunity, i'd do it everyday though, even for only bodyweight

I also feel bands are better than ankle weights

I started doing reverse hypers about three months ago for the purpose of strengthening my lower back after an injury. The injury occurred 2 years ago and I have already made more progress in these three months than the previous 18.

I do 4 sets of 10-12 a week. I warm up with BW and then use the heaviest weight I can lower in a controlled manner. After reading outlaw's posts, I would consider upping the frequency.