During my next diet, I was contemplating adding 5g pulses of l-leucine about 4 times, spread out evenly over the course of my day. The idea was to replace pulsing bcaa’s which is what I have done in the past. Has anyone else tried this? Would this be a bad idea on a low carb diet, since as mentioned above going hypoglycemic as a result of the l-leucine?[/quote]
I can not picture 5g of leucine spiking insulin enough to drop your blood sugars to the point of a hypo, even without food. If you’re having the 5g of leucine with food, then it will certainly not drop your blood sugar.
Its important to remember that protein causes a spike of insulin in its own right, as well as a corresponding spike in glucagon. I can’t remember the exact ratio, but its something like 53% of your standard protein molecule is insulinogenic (i.e will easily convert to glucose) and the other 47% raises glucagon. Protein will stabilize your blood sugars, so leucine with protein is not a problem when it comes to hypo’s.
Surely Bill/CT will correct me if i’m wrong.[/quote]
5g of leucine, no. BUT I have experienced hypoglycemic symptoms from ingesting 20g of leucine (4 scoops of MAG-10) without having any other kind of food. What happened is that I was scheduled to give a conference, woke up late and couldn’t prepare breakfast. Had 4 scoops of MAG-10 and hit the road.
After 45 minutes I had to stop at a convenience store to buy some sugary stuff because I was getting light-headed, had the shakes and tunnel vision.