L-Leucine and BCAA

I did a search, the results are old and locked i’m just looking for a little help.

My friend is visiting me from the UK this week and is bringing me 1kg of L-lecine and and a huge tub of BCAAs.

I currently take BCAA’s upon waking, pre and post workout.

Where do i add L-leucine? Pre and post or only with meals?

Cheers guys.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
I did a search, the results are old and locked i’m just looking for a little help.

My friend is visiting me from the UK this week and is bringing me 1kg of L-lecine and and a huge tub of BCAAs.

Cheers guys. [/quote]

With meals to trigger protein synthesis.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Cheers guys. [/quote]

With meals to trigger protein synthesis.[/quote]

Cheers Corst, im trying to diet as always, wil this help me maintain lean mass?

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Cheers guys. [/quote]

With meals to trigger protein synthesis.[/quote]

Cheers Corst, im trying to diet as always, wil this help me maintain lean mass?
[/quote]

don’t see how it would not help. Specifically the l-leucine notes from the new article mention this.

I like to use 5g leucine in my pre and post workout shakes and 20g BCAA or 10g BCAA/10g EAA during workout. Never bothered to use aminos outside of peri-workout.

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:
I like to use 5g leucine in my pre and post workout shakes and 20g BCAA or 10g BCAA/10g EAA during workout. Never bothered to use aminos outside of peri-workout.[/quote]

Thanks kb, so is taking them upon waking kind of a waste of time?

I should keep my bcaa for around workout time, my BCAA is caps, so instead of during should i just pop several caps before and after working out along with the L-leucine.

Do you not take L-leucine before meals?

You should take 4.37879907998 grams of leucine before every meal. You will be ripped in no time haha. How long you been dieting now? a year and half? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You’re overthinking this man. I just told you exactly what I do, lol. Personally I wouldn’t bother taking them upon waking or with meals. You can experiment with that if you want but it’d probably be pretty hard to quantify results attributed to doing so, which is why I just don’t bother with them outside of the peri-workout period.

You’re overthinking this man. I just told you exactly what I do, lol. Personally I wouldn’t bother taking them upon waking or with meals. You can experiment with that if you want but it’d probably be pretty hard to quantify results attributed to doing so, which is why I just don’t bother with them outside of the peri-workout period.[/quote]

Ok, thanks for the reply. Lets see what happens when i get it.

[quote]johnman18 wrote:
You should take 4.37879907998 grams of leucine before every meal. You will be ripped in no time haha. How long you been dieting now? a year and half? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You look as shit as i do. Either be constructive or go fuck your self.

Trolling threads to post bull shit posts is really cool man. Thanks for contributing to the

forum. Maybe you should try dieting as well.

Just my opinion, But I would kind of go the opposite of what KB suggests. It seems like 5g of leucine is the magical number to initiate protein synthesis and allow leucine to do its good work. If you are adding it to protein or BCAA’s that already have a potential 5g leucine dose I think you are just adding more for the sake of adding more and not really reaping anymore benefits of it.

Adding it to meals where you might not hit 5g of leucine is where you can get the potential added benefit of increased protein synthesis from the leucine. Obviously what KB does works for him, but just my thoughts on what I know of leucine.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

Adding it to meals where you might not hit 5g of leucine is where you can get the potential added benefit of increased protein synthesis from the leucine. Obviously what KB does works for him, but just my thoughts on what I know of leucine. [/quote]

And if you are eating like a man all meals have more than 5g of leucine. It becomes redundant at a certain point. Learn to eat. Can be useful in a caloric deficit if you want to remove calories from protein sources.

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

Adding it to meals where you might not hit 5g of leucine is where you can get the potential added benefit of increased protein synthesis from the leucine. Obviously what KB does works for him, but just my thoughts on what I know of leucine. [/quote]

And if you are eating like a man all meals have more than 5g of leucine. It becomes redundant at a certain point. Learn to eat. Can be useful in a caloric deficit if you want to remove calories from protein sources. [/quote]

I actually agree with you. I don’t feel leucine is that important of a supplement unless you are cutting.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

And if you are eating like a man all meals have more than 5g of leucine. It becomes redundant at a certain point. Learn to eat. Can be useful in a caloric deficit if you want to remove calories from protein sources. [/quote]

I actually agree with you. I don’t feel leucine is that important of a supplement unless you are cutting. [/quote]

I don’t think it is all-important, I didnt bother buying more after I ran out but I may. But there is a difference between getting 5g leucine BEFORE a meal and getting 5g leucine from an entire MEAL.

BBB would talk about taking 5g Leucine upon waking, empty stomach, to “kick start the anabolic process”. Take it FWIW.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

I actually agree with you. I don’t feel leucine is that important of a supplement unless you are cutting. [/quote]

Both of you have misunderstood what you’ve read about leucine. Stop giving advice based on your opinion, lol. The leucine from whole food sources does NOT have the same effect as free form L-leucine. The benefits of leucine come from blood leucine SPIKES, not from it’s gradual release from the broken down whole proteins that you eat. You are wrong.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

Both of you have misunderstood what you’ve read about leucine. Stop giving advice based on your opinion, lol. The leucine from whole food sources does NOT have the same effect as free form L-leucine. The benefits of leucine come from blood leucine SPIKES, not from it’s gradual release from the broken down whole proteins that you eat. You are wrong.[/quote]

I have used Leucine extensively and feel in a position to give an educated and experienced opinion. Thats what forums are for.

I have read Layne Nortons article on Leucine and Protein and that is where most bodybuilding gurus are getting their info about Leucine from.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

Both of you have misunderstood what you’ve read about leucine. Stop giving advice based on your opinion, lol. The leucine from whole food sources does NOT have the same effect as free form L-leucine. The benefits of leucine come from blood leucine SPIKES, not from it’s gradual release from the broken down whole proteins that you eat. You are wrong.[/quote]

Stimulation of muscle anabolism by resistance exercise and ingestion of leucine plus protein.

Tipton KD, Elliott TA, Ferrando AA, Aarsland AA, Wolfe RR. Metabolism Unit, Shriners Hospitals for Children, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA.

Arterial amino acid concentrations increased in response to ingestion of W+L. Amino acid concentrations peaked between 60 and 120 min after ingestion, and then declined to baseline values. Valine concentration decreased to levels significantly lower than baseline. Net balance of leucine, threonine, and phenylalanine did not change following PL ingestion, but increased and remained elevated above baseline for 90-120 min following W+L ingestion. Leucine (138 +/- 37 and -23 +/- 23 mg), phenylalanine (58 +/- 28 and -38 +/- 14 mg), and threonine (138 +/- 37 and -23 +/- 23 mg) uptake was greater for W+L than for PL over the 5.5 h following drink ingestion.

CONCLUSION: Our results indicate that the whey protein plus leucine in healthy young volunteers results in an anabolic response in muscle that is not greater than the previously reported response to whey protein alone.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

Stimulation of muscle anabolism by resistance exercise and ingestion of leucine plus protein.

Tipton KD, Elliott TA, Ferrando AA, Aarsland AA, Wolfe RR. Metabolism Unit, Shriners Hospitals for Children, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA.

Arterial amino acid concentrations increased in response to ingestion of W+L. Amino acid concentrations peaked between 60 and 120 min after ingestion, and then declined to baseline values. Valine concentration decreased to levels significantly lower than baseline. Net balance of leucine, threonine, and phenylalanine did not change following PL ingestion, but increased and remained elevated above baseline for 90-120 min following W+L ingestion. Leucine (138 +/- 37 and -23 +/- 23 mg), phenylalanine (58 +/- 28 and -38 +/- 14 mg), and threonine (138 +/- 37 and -23 +/- 23 mg) uptake was greater for W+L than for PL over the 5.5 h following drink ingestion.

CONCLUSION: Our results indicate that the whey protein plus leucine in healthy young volunteers results in an anabolic response in muscle that is not greater than the previously reported response to whey protein alone.
[/quote]

"Recently researchers conducted an experiment where subject resistance trained for forty five minutes and then supplemented with carbohydrate alone, carbohydrate plus protein (approximately 30g) or carbohydrate plus protein and leucine.

They found that the carbohydrate/protein/leucine supplement reduced protein breakdown and increased skeletal muscle protein synthesis to a greater degree than the carbohydrate/protein supplement and to a much greater degree than the carbohydrate only supplement.10

A possible explanation for these results could be due to the rapid >>>>SPIKE<<<< in plasma leucine that a free form leucine supplement could achieve. Whole proteins take long periods of time to empty from the stomach into the small intestine and finally into circulation. Thus, plasma levels increase slowly and plateau.

Even with a fast digesting protein such as whey, it can take hours for the leucine in whey to be liberated from the protein & enter circulation; therefore leucine concentrations in the plasma never spike to high levels.

An isolated leucine supplement however, would be quickly absorbed into circulation, thus spiking plasma leucine levels & drastically increasing intracellular leucine concentrations and activating the aforementioned anabolic pathways…

…Leucine has a far greater stimulatory effect on protein synthesis than any other amino acid and it has been shown that protein synthesis increases similarly in response to a relatively small dose of leucine compared to a whole food meal.

It has also been demonstrated that adding leucine to a protein rich meal further increases the rate of skeletal muscle protein synthesis."

This is directly from Norton’s article, which is funny considering Gl;itch.e mentioned he got his info from there, yet made a statement that conflicts with it, lol.

Thank you KB. Hate when people say “just eat a steak”.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

[/quote]

"Recently researchers conducted an experiment where subject resistance trained for forty five minutes and then supplemented with carbohydrate alone, carbohydrate plus protein (approximately 30g) or carbohydrate plus protein and leucine.

They found that the carbohydrate/protein/leucine supplement reduced protein breakdown and increased skeletal muscle protein synthesis to a greater degree than the carbohydrate/protein supplement and to a much greater degree than the carbohydrate only supplement.10

A possible explanation for these results could be due to the rapid >>>>SPIKE<<<< in plasma leucine that a free form leucine supplement could achieve. Whole proteins take long periods of time to empty from the stomach into the small intestine and finally into circulation. Thus, plasma levels increase slowly and plateau.

Even with a fast digesting protein such as whey, it can take hours for the leucine in whey to be liberated from the protein & enter circulation; therefore leucine concentrations in the plasma never spike to high levels.

An isolated leucine supplement however, would be quickly absorbed into circulation, thus spiking plasma leucine levels & drastically increasing intracellular leucine concentrations and activating the aforementioned anabolic pathways…

…Leucine has a far greater stimulatory effect on protein synthesis than any other amino acid and it has been shown that protein synthesis increases similarly in response to a relatively small dose of leucine compared to a whole food meal.

It has also been demonstrated that adding leucine to a protein rich meal further increases the rate of skeletal muscle protein synthesis."

This is directly from Norton’s article, which is funny considering Gl;itch.e mentioned he got his info from there, yet made a statement that conflicts with it, lol.

[/quote]

#BURN

i believe whatever KB says, thanks for the info there mate!