L-Citrulline or Citrulline Malate for Blood Pressure?

Hey guys, so I was diagnosed with pre-hypertension years ago probably due to the fact my career is extremely stressful. I had read about Citrulline being a nitric oxide precursor that could expand my blood vessels, after tinkering with the dose I am happy to say taking the L-citrulline a few times a day has my blood pressure in the normal range of around 125/75 and it has been normal for years.

After seeing everyone rave about citrulline malate for the pump (not why I take citrulline as discussed above) I wanted to field some opinions on whether people think this may be even better for my blood pressure. What I mean is that, even though the L-citrulline works fine, maybe I can take fewer citrulline malate pills for the same effect which would be less of a hassle and potentially cheaper.

Thanks in advance for your opinions, guys.

Try it and see what happens ?

Yeah, that’s a fair point. I can buy the malate, try for a week, monitor blood pressure, and compare it to my regular L-citrulline. I was just hoping someone else here may have first hand experience with this.

1 Like

My first go to site for supplements is examine dot com. From the site, it reads like you need to take more citrulline malate than just plain L-citrulline (maybe I read you wrong):

"To supplement L-citrulline for circulatory health or to alleviate erectile dysfunction, take 1,000 mg of citrulline, three times a day with meals, for a total daily dose of 3,000 mg. L-citrulline does not need to be taken with meals, however.

To supplement for circulatory health with a citrulline malate supplement, take 1.76 g of citrulline malate for every 1 gram of citrulline you would normally take.

To supplement L-citrulline to enhance sports performance, take 6,000 – 8,000 mg of citrulline malate about an hour before exercise."

1 Like

Thanks punny very helpful.

1 Like

My experience, malate is better.
Just load up on it preworkout as your means to get it in for the day. Helps overall training and work capacity as well as pump

they said to use citruline malate 3-5g preworkout and 3-5g intraworkout

@plinnyc88 what dose are you taking? My BP is fine on low dose Losartan (BP meds) and is just a little high without (140/90-ish). Wondering if it’s economical to try Citrulline and see if I can work my way off of the prescription. Losartan is like $15 for 3 months so it’s hard to beat and the only real side effect is that I can get electrolyte depleted easily.

6g of l-citrulline 3x a day on an empty stomach. Btw, I had an idiot doctor put me on BP meds, depleted my electrolytes, I had a seizure and was rushed to the hospital. Don’t take that lightly!

I’ll admit, mine was high enough to need something, especially after a random spike to 175/112. Lately, it’s been pretty low with meds so I’m not sure. I definitely don’t enjoy the electrolyte thing, though, it gets old.

At the dosage you’re using, it’s quite a bit more expensive than my Losartan is. Probably not worth it for me as long as my side effects continue to be minimal.

Just keep getting blood work to monitor your electrolytes. My former primary missed it. After my seizure I had to see a neurologist, he saw my blood work over time and said "Your primary care is a fucking moron, it’s obvious you weren’t tolerating the medication. You’re young, you should simply take citrulline and see how it works. He was totally right.

1 Like

At least mine monitors mine and when I was low, he asked me how much water I drank every day. When I told him I averaged 2 gallons, he told me that was ridiculous and was why they were fucked up. Dropping back to 1-1.5 gallons a day unless I’m working outside has made a difference. Glad you were able to come off though, that’s awesome.

1 Like

Alternatively, you could drink water but take electrolyte pills.

Comes down to economics at that point. Plus, the decreased bloat from dropping water consumption to a human level is nice. haha

1 Like