L-Carnitine Injections - A Learning Experience

Recently started TRT and was also given L-Carnitine as I requested it for weight loss, mental clarity, and androgen receptor density/response, prescribed L-Car at 500mg 3x/wk.

I did my first 500mg shot of L-Car about a week ago and assumed it was SubQ as there was no instruction stating otherwise… a week later was still in discomfort. Is this normal? I mean the pain wasn’t horrible, but I was getting hot and light-headed through the injection - felt like the first few minutes of getting a tattoo (if I’m just being a wuss about needles, say so).

1. Is L-Car supposed to be SubQ or IM?
  2. I also heard if you aren’t taking carbs with it, that you’re missing out on a lot of it’s benefits… any truth to this? If so, please explain best practices for L-Car.

@Mods, if this is better placed in #pharma, feel free to move it over. This is a prescribed item, however.

EDIT:
Will be using this as a guide/log to keep track of best practices for L-Carnitine injections. Anyone with experience is welcome to chime in =)

Found this, curious about accuracy (I also believe this is referring to oral form, not injection):

How Should I Stack L-Carnitine?

Quite simply, take it with carbs. Some early studies showed no benefit of carnitine because they failed to adequately raise muscle carnitine levels. This was because the supplement wasn’t taken at the right time, when insulin would be spiked and muscle uptake would be adequate.

Newer research shows that insulin levels must be quite high for adequate amounts of L-carnitine to enter muscle cells, where it performs the majority of its work.[8] On the flipside, taking L-carnitine enhances insulin’s actions at the muscle cells, helping to deliver more glucose into the muscle cells as well as more L-carnitine.

While as little as 1 gram of L-carnitine can be effective, your best bet is to take 2-3 grams per dose for maximum benefit, along with at least 30-40 grams of carbs and 20-40 grams of protein, preferably with a meal. This applies if you take straight-up L-carnitine, L-carnitine L-tartrate, or propionyl-L-carnitine.

Acetyl L-carnitine, however, is more easily taken up by the intestines and the muscle cells, not to mention the brain, in the absence of food. Therefore, this form of carnitine may be stacked with other ingredients that enhance fat-burning, such as caffeine and green tea, and taken between meals.

100% do not do it sub q, I did as the vial said either I.M or Sub Q and the lump lasted 4-5 months. Mind you I did 2 ml each injection in stomach but no do not do sub q.

I quit to early to tell ya if it’s worth it …

1 Like

Yeah already did the SubQ injection lol - big mistake. At least the lump has mostly gone away for me though.

I think it’s meant for IM. The stuff I got from TMC hurt like fucking hell when injecting, I had to go very slow. They included some lidocaine in it & if any of it went SQ I had a numb ass/leg/shoulder/trap for days.

I’ve been thinking about trying it again, but nervous.

1 Like

I just did an IM glute shot with 1ml in a 27ga 1/2" needle; felt fine. SubQ shot hurt a lot by comparison

1 Like

Update:
Just tried this number with 27ga 1/2" @ 1ml

And have serious regrets. Holy fuck that sucked.
0/10, would not recommend

Throbbing throughout most of my outer quad muscle and felt it radiating down into my calf mid-injection. Leg is half-throbbing and half-numb. Thank god for TheraGuns.

Only sucessful injection locales thus far:
Glutes

2 Likes

EDIT:
Disregard post before edit.

Some people say to cut L-Carnitine 1:1 with BAC and to do it right after a hot shower. Not sure the reasoning as to the shower, but maybe the 1:1 cut makes sense… still, I’m unsure.

Nooooooo way Brother. Dont do it. Look up the DG videos I posted or shoulders.

1 Like

TBH I’m nervous to inject again with how bad this one went… I want to speak with someone from Defy before injecting again.

Label says SQ or IM and im not straying from that without Doc’s say so. As for injecting in shoulders… if IM shots hurt in big muscles, wouldn’t they hurt more in small muscles? Still an IM noob… only done a handful of IM shots.

I’m actually very curious why the glute shots went well but this quad shot went so poorly. Same needle, dose and all IM…

Dont freak out. Switch the shoulder and DG locations so you have 4 spots if needed since you have been injecting frequently.

Good videos in first thread linked. Look up a map of nerves for shoulder, DG and quad sites. Shoulders / DG are good locations. Stay away from quads.

WRT L-Carnitine Never Ever do IV injection. You could try IM on the shoulders. Never tried the L-Carnitine injection for receptor sensitivity thing.

1 Like

So I did another IM Glute shot last night and the shot went fine; targetted the upper gluteus maximus… no PIP at all.

Not sure if it’s related, but my sleep was terrible last night. All my other shots were mid-afternoon or morning, this was my first one within an hour of bed. I track my sleep and i had about 4x as many interruptions (movements or similar) as a normal night for me.

Will do some reading to see if it’s related - I’ll update post later if i find anything.

I found this entertaining. As usual better instructions for horses than humans sometimes:

How you will tell this stuff is working @Andrewgen_Receptors. Thanks for the thread.

Please ignore the IV reference in the copied info below (from above link).

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION

Injection: 3mL per 100 kg bodyweight (15mL per 500kg horse) by intramuscular injection 2 times weekly or as directed by your veterinarian.
Use the contents of the vial within 3 months of initial broaching and discard any unused portion.

PRESENTATION

100 mL sterile injection for intramuscular or intravenous injection.

Review article:

1 Like

I just started L-car injections over the weekend. Injecting 200mg/55 pounds daily during loading phase. I have 500mg/ml solution from Empower Pharmacy. I’m doing .7ml before and .7ml after workout with 29g 1/2" insulin pins. First shots in glutes weren’t bad. Did second day shots in both upper thighs and was a bit achey for a while. Not enjoyable but not terrible.

I have an iReliev (Tens/EMS) unit. Set it on EMS on both thighs for twenty minutes last night and this morning have zero remaining PIP. Might be worth a shot if you have a Tens unit.

1 Like

I will read this over when i get the chance, thank you.

Of course we have better instructions for horses than humans :roll_eyes::rofl:

This has been my experience so far. Had 1 terrible experience where im pretty sure i hit a nerve in the thigh, but glutes have gone quite well.

Shoulders are rarely painful for me. It seems more likely than not to hit a nerve if I inject the quads. If I do happen to get a sensitive spot on the shoulders, the pain pales in comparison to even the milder quad pain.

2 Likes

I’ve been nervous to deviate from glutes since finding the sweet spots, but I may have to try shoulders.

I have a hard time getting my arm far enough over to inject the shoulder, and with a full syringe - it hasn’t exactly been high on my list of things to try lol.

LOL, I have a harder time getting to the glutes which is why I rarely inject there. I agree, though, it is painless there.

1 Like

All the selected studies were conducted with healthy human subjects, with supplemented dose ranging from 1 g to 4 g per day for either 12 or 24 weeks. LC supplementation, in combination with carbohydrates (CHO) effectively elevated total carnitine content in skeletal muscle. Twenty-four-weeks of LC supplementation did not affect muscle strength in healthy aged women, but significantly increased muscle mass, improved physical effort tolerance and cognitive function in centenarians.

I’m curious as to the dosing for this… 1-4g per day? that’s 4-8x more than I was prescribed. Thoughts?
Later in the review, it states:

In the recent study, LC supplementation 2 g/day has been applied in combination with a resistance training program (4 days/week) to healthy men (age range 18–40 y.o.), for 9 weeks [43]. Body composition, determined by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry, indicated no significant effect in fat mass and fat-free mass due to supplementation.

This directly conflicts with the first block quote… I don’t understand.

Lastly:

Due to insulin-mediated LC transport to the muscle, oral administration regimen should be combined with CHO (carbs).

Does this mean that injected L-Car does not benefit from carb intake, or simply that oral L-Car specifically benefits from carb intake at time of consumption?

not enough. 200mg per 55lbs, per day.

I’ve used 1-3 grams per day for years. I stopped getting it from the clinic, mg per ml to low for the amount I need per day.

600mg/ml L-Carnitine 30ml vial —$60

1 Like