T Nation

L-Carnitine For Fat Loss?

hello guys,i have just bought l-carnetine pills bcuz i heard that it inhances fat lose.now i have heard that it’s not yet proven and and am wondering did i make a mistake by buying it,has anyone tried l-carnetine and lost some weight.
thx

I really dont understand why people always ask about the eficacy of the stuff they have already bought and not ask before buying…
Another day a guy asked me in the gym “i have a bottle of HMB at home, is this good for hypertrophy?”

I’ve seen some research indicating that if your body is starved for l-carnitine fat metabolism is slowed. To quote wikipedia:
“It helps in the consumption and disposal of fat in the body because it is responsible for the transport of fatty acids from the cytosol into the mitochondria.”

However, this is in fact biosynthesized in the body from Lysine and Methionine, thus making a severe shortage of L-Carnitine very doubtful in humans, as long as your diet is solid (containing plenty of all the essential amino acids).

So will it work? Maybe, it probably won’t hurt, but it’s definitely not a magic bullet, there are far better fat burning substances available.