Kyphosis of 17 YO Girl

So ive done my back squat and I saw that im rlly lurch down and I cant be straight when I squat and I dont flex my abs too the elbows are pulled behind …the the 4,5 video also the quads front ones are doing all the squat and I feel my hips the iliacus, then I try in the 1 video to push my elbows forward cuz im flexing my lower traps and rhomboids ,I try to flex my abs to straight my lower back and when I try deep squat I tried to push little bit my knees sidewards and the back to be straight I think it was better… - YouTube

here I think im doing it better than the 4-5 videos - YouTube

I have on the left side more mobility and strenght also the muscules on my whole left side are more developed than the other side and also on the left side is the “curve” of spine here is a clip of my deadlift,in it I squeeze my traps because I want to stand back my shoulders and I dont watch forward cuz im trying to control the back… and I often use my legs than the back I dont know if I have to squat deep or I have to be bent and straight like im going to do rows.

Im feeling my lower traps and when I flex the abs to straight the low back I also feel the muscules there but not always cuz of the quads…I mean in the moment when I pull the bar my legs are working first… - YouTube

It’s as if your firing patterns are all wrong, but you’re very good at faking correct movement?

In the deadlift it’s as if you’re squatting the weight up and knees are getting in the way a bit.

I’m so dysfunctional myself that my idea of good form is probably completely off, but my feeling is you need to do some work on the hip hinge (just like me!!).

See what others say - don’t take my word for this. But here’s what I’d do.

1. For a while, deadlift from blocks. Do more of a romanian deadlfit. So starting from a standing position just push your hips back and only soften your knees - don’t bend them. Go only as far as you can without your back arching. This will reduce the range of motion so there is next to no knee bend. Your forcing the hips to do all the working and programming in the correct hip hinge movement. Then gradually reduce the height of the blocks to gradually bring in the knee bend. There was an article posted on TNation recently explaining this approach - I can’t find it but maybe someone else can?

2. Try box squatting for a while - leading with your hips. Again, thinking of the hip hinge. This will help you to use your glutes more and less quads.

3. Kettle bell swings may help with the hip hings. Also things like weighted hip thrusts, single leg hip thrusts would be good for you I think.

4. I agree that the third video of you squat looked better - you’re going deeper. Maybe it’s my imagination but somehow it looks as if you’re disengaging something in order to get that depth? You mention feeling tightness in your iliacus. Your quads are overactive. Your glutes are underactive. That makes me wonder if your psoas is the problem - if it’s not firing properly it can cause a LOT of the type of problems you have. When a muscle is contracting, the antagonist (opposing muscle) doesn’t just relax - the two muscles work together in order to move the joint in a safe, controlled way. If the psoas doesn’t work properly then neither does the glute max. Iliacus, TFL, rec fem, adductors, glute med / min all tend to go into overdrive trying to pick up the slack.

Psoas is the only hip flexor that works above 90 degrees of flexion. Try putting you foot up on a box so that your hip is at a 90 degree angle, then keeping pelvis level, lift your foot an inch or two. This will activate the psoas. Do a few 10 second holds each side before a squatting session. And some glute activation drills. Does this help any?

These are all just guesses and hunches based on what I’m seeing.

Hang in there because you WILL figure it out in time. You’re amazingly strong already despite some pretty bad functional problems. Just imagine how strong you’re going to be when you get your body working perfectly!!!

Sorry for the late reply. I’m glad to see that you have access to a barbell and a squat rack.

Your squat looks fine for someone just starting with it. Besides the earlier mentioned problems with the pelvic rotation there’s good potential.

I would still recommend you try and learn a low bar back squat (you’re high bar now). This would allow you to sit back further and make the squat more hip dominant (which is your problem area). It may not be easier to develop but it will be more worthwhile.

I would suggest you slow down on your descent and to pause for a few seconds in the bottom position (right at the position before your right pelvic side starts to rotate). Learn to drive out of the bottom position by engaging your glutes while staying tight in lower back and pelvic area. Over time you should be able to increase the range of motion without the partial buttwink happening. Don?t be too greedy with the amounts of weight and the depth of the squat. Just take your time and prioritize proper form.

Your deadlift is a bit trickier.
First, you would be better off with bumper plates, so you can drop the bar when you’ve lowered it to about knee level. I would not recommend lowering all the way to the ground. Resetting every rep is also better for your form and lower back.
The weight needs to be on your heels and you need to pull the weight up by pulling back like you?re on a teeter totter. See how it feels by starting the pull with your hips higher and closer to the bar (from a side view).
I would stick with a conventional deadlift (more lower back and hamstring dominant) versus a sumo deadlift (more hip dominant, which you?re already addressing with a low bar squat).

Here’s a video and a good article to help you on your way:

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/deadlift

Just take your time learning those lifts. It won’t happen overnight but commitment will pay off.

Note: The above is just my opinion so please make up your own mind and consult a professional if you feel that is necessary