Kudos to the President

We have an office pool for how long he will last. Only 1 guy picked full term. I have just after midterms.

1 Like

Actually I agree. The media was on his side and he still had issues with them not being in the tank deep enough as if they were not already touching bottom. And Fox News was banned out right.
The shoe is on the other foot now, except the ā€˜enemy mediaā€™ is a vastly larger entity than Fox News. And then Trump tweetsā€¦ How I wish he would not. Or get an interpreter to translate it from ā€˜trumpianā€™ to English.

Thatā€™s why obama desperately needed HRC to win. His legacy was wrapped up in one major piece of legislation collapsing under itā€™s own weight and a bunch of EOā€™s, which can be dismantled in one day. He needed HRC to turn some of those OEā€™s into legislation. In short, obama was the blue-trump. Spoke pretty, but every bit as egotistical or worse. Compromise was not his language, it was his way or the highway which is why he turned mainly to EOā€™s and didnā€™t even bother with congress, save to rubber stamp the next yearā€™s spending bill.
To obamaā€™s ire, a lot fewer people were with him than he thought. And his legacy lasted 8 years as a result. If he used congress, he may not have gotten as much as he wanted, but it would be lasting.

I donā€™t know if Trump is capable of learning lessons, but if he is, he will go through congress. EOā€™s are temporary and his can be shredded as easily as obamaā€™s were.

One thing I would like to see, though largely symbolic at this point, is to finally declare ā€˜Englishā€™ as the national language. Now would be the time to do that when the republicans hold most of the power.

1 Like

I would have if ā€˜neitherā€™ had a chance. I was going to be damned if I was going to willingly cede power to the Clinton Machineā€¦ I voted against Hillary, more than I voted for trump.

Iā€™d pick full term. Removing a sitting president is extremely hard.
Remember that Bill Clinton was impeached, and he served every day of his two termsā€¦

I think heā€™ll resign, personally. Heā€™s not used to not getting his way and Congress is gridlock city.

1 Like

Well said Pat and spot on.

Care to make a bet on that?

:wink:

1 Like

The odds of Trump getting impeached without an undeniable smoking gun are basically 0. And by undeniable smoking gun I mean something like him on tape giving the nuclear codes to Putin or something. The bar for an undeniable smoking gun is so high that it will almost certainly never be met.

Now, I suppose he might resign. But he wonā€™t resign unless he can spin it as a win. Something like, ā€œIā€™ve already done in two years everything I set out to do. Iā€™ll let someone else have a go.ā€ But I actually see that as unlikely. Trump knows when to throw in the towel, but heā€™s not really a quitter. If he was, he wouldnā€™t have run for president in the first place. Heā€™s already a billionaire. He ran for president because he likes being in the power seat. And no matter what happens, being president is more of a power seat than not being president. And I doubt that will change.

Seriously, anyone thinking President Trump will resign is as far away from being right as one can be.

1 Like

Our rules for removal dictate that the correct date is when the process that removes him starts not exactly when he is out of the office.

Lol, nooooā€¦ My betting days are done. :slight_smile:

I canā€™t believe this, but Iā€™m actually going to agree with zeb.

I donā€™t think Trump will resign. I understand the folks who say that Trump is in a special brand of hell with his every move under such a microscope and criticism raining from all angles, but I think thatā€™s counterbalanced by his ego. No way heā€™ll be happy to walk away voluntarily. Does he really care if legislation does or doesnā€™t get passed? Probably not that much. If everything he professes to want to carry out gets gridlocked, all the better for him - he can keep tweeting about the FAKE NEWS reporting that Americans are against the Wall when just last night at his rally in Kansabraskatucky he met a bunch of swell folks wearing #MAGA hats that are all in favor.

He might give himself a stroke or a heart attack because Iā€™m guessing that he doesnā€™t sleep, eats like shit, and has high stress levels, but I donā€™t think he will resign.

1 Like

Okay my friend I just couldnā€™t help but ask.

Anyway, I think you might be mistaking his erratic behavior as in texting at 3AM and blaming the press for many of his woes as him not being stable. This is Trump itā€™s how he acts. As President he is finally as close to being king of the world as he will ever get. And even though the media and the left attack him daily and some in his own party wonā€™t follow in lock step he is still as happy as he has ever been. You can deduce from that statement what you will.

Heā€™s not only not going to resign he will most likely run for reelection if he gets even 50% of his agenda through.

I mostly agree with your second paragraph, but I wouldnā€™t discount the power of approval ratings when it comes to congress. Trumpā€™s sitting at 37% right now and I am guessing that will go down a bit after this week due to the Comey/Rogers testimony and if the ACHA doesnā€™t pass (it has 17% public support so not sure it would help if it does pass).

If the GOP in congress continue to support a president with sinking approval ratings, it could cost them their jobs. So I wouldnā€™t take impeachment off the table if things continue as they have. And if they did pursue impeachment, I donā€™t think it would go the distance: Trump would bow out well before it was resolved to try and save face.

But I could also see, if he doesnā€™t have congressional support and heā€™s getting hammered by the Russia allegations, emoluments violations, etc., that he could be rendered ineffective and he might exit there too.

Hey, thatā€™s two things we agree on. The arts and Trump will not resign. You are coming alongā€¦

And this>>>ā€œKansabraskatuckyā€ made me laugh out loud.

Tyler I wonder if you are looking at the same polls from the folks who had him losing the Presidential election.

We have to be very careful as things are not as they appear to be much of the time regarding politics.

Who here has ever been polled? I havenā€™t. I donā€™t answer calls I donā€™t know who they are fromā€¦
Polls arenā€™t that reliable right now. They poll 1000 people and expound it to speak for 320 million? If polls were right, HRC would have not only won, but completely body slammed trump with a damn near sweep.

I think it was Gallup & Quinnipiac early this week that came out. These are, of course, national polls. The national polls during the election were pretty spot on (within 1%).

I donā€™t either, I just wouldnā€™t be shocked if he did.

I donā€™t actually think heā€™ll resign. I meant if he doesnā€™t serve the full four years I think itā€™ll be because he resigns not impeachment. I have a hard time believing, at 70, heā€™s still enjoying himself just 3 months in. I have a real hard time seeing him run again.