KSman: Problem with Thyroid

My wife is 5 months pregnant and she has low thyroid hormones.
TSH 4.77 uiu/ml (0.5-4.78)
ft3 2.83 pg/ml( 2.43-4.2)
Ft4 0.89 ng/ml (0.89-1.6)
What does of thyroid hormone she should take .

She is currently taking 25 mcg if l thyroxine and the results above are taken during 25mcg dose.
I doubt doctor she said to continue 25 mcg dose and you can see the ft4 levels are low and also tsh is elevated.
Ksman your input is appreciated.

[quote]sonudv8 wrote:
My wife is 5 months pregnant and she has low thyroid hormones.
TSH 4.77 uiu/ml (0.5-4.78)
ft3 2.83 pg/ml( 2.43-4.2)
Ft4 0.89 ng/ml (0.89-1.6)
What does of thyroid hormone she should take .

She is currently taking 25 mcg if l thyroxine and the results above are taken during 25mcg dose.
I doubt doctor she said to continue 25 mcg dose and you can see the ft4 levels are low and also tsh is elevated.
Ksman your input is appreciated.
[/quote]

Levothyroxine yes?

Seems like hypothyroidism to me.
I’m not KSman or have his knowledge but this is very little info in general.
Absolutely crucial to know how long has she been on medication?
Has she suffered from this for years or is it just lately discovered thing during pregnancy?

The dosage she is using now is small but the medicine is increased incrementally in time cycles.

Here are some dosage info for you from dear google
http://www.drugs.com/dosage/levothyroxine.html .

Since the pregnancy is in 5th month, your baby already has his/her own thyroid in action. Can’t tell if your wifes thyroid hormones still affects fetus.

Lots of contradicting data about this in general.

All the best of luck.

Thanks for input.
I got some idea that levothyroxine should be increased in dosages. It is mentioned in that post that it’s dosage should be increased by 12.5 -25 mcg each 2-4 weeks but in Wikipedia daily usage in pregnancy is mentioned as 2ug/kg daily and it is constant.what should I do my doctor even don’t care about the test she just put her on 25 mcg. Should I increase her dosage by 12.5 mcg in every 2 weeks??

[quote]sonudv8 wrote:
Thanks for input.
I got some idea that levothyroxine should be increased in dosages. It is mentioned in that post that it’s dosage should be increased by 12.5 -25 mcg each 2-4 weeks but in Wikipedia daily usage in pregnancy is mentioned as 2ug/kg daily and it is constant.what should I do my doctor even don’t care about the test she just put her on 25 mcg. Should I increase her dosage by 12.5 mcg in every 2 weeks??[/quote]

Yeah, i noticed that. I honestly do not know. All in all your wifes TSH is higher than suggested for pregnancy or without pregnancy too.
I have never heard of word “trimester” ( see link below ) and cannot calculate it well due not knowing your wifes last period etc, but i suspect she is in either 2nd or 3rd trimester when 5 months pregnant ( obviously ). :slight_smile:

It’s hard to tell why your doctor wouldn’t care. So far i don’t know any reason to keep that much elevated TSH pregnant or not pregnant. It seems to suggest the dosage is insufficient. I would try to bring that TSH down to the reference ranges.

http://perinatology.com/Reference/Reference%20Ranges/TSH.htm

I agree with you but what should be her dosage and does she has to take some other medicine other than levothyroxine
If her ft4 levels are low and ft3 levels are okay as seen in the above lab report.plz guide

Lets talk about iodine.

Have you two been using iodized salt for years. Confirm label on salt package.
If not continued iodized salt, she/you need supplemental iodine to get out of the hole. Try 0.5 1.0 mg/day for two weeks then pregnancy RDA after.

Prenatal vitamins should have the higher RDA.

RDA’s for iodine are increased during pregnancy for a good reason. Baby’s thyroid needs iodine too.

Women store iodine in breast tissue. Assumed to be for lactation for the baby.

Check her oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. These can be used to guide iodine replenishment or thyroid med dosing.

Note that some do not convert T4 medications to T3 very well and need a T4+T3 product like Armour Thyroid.

This is critical to fetal development.

TSH too high. fT3 fT4 are well below mid-range.

Does she get cold easily? now? before pregnancy?
Thyroid enlarged, sore, asymmetrical or lumpy.
Outer eyebrows sparse [if not plucked]

Essential fatty acids, flax seed oil/meal, nut and fish oil are associated with higher IQ’s in children.

Meet new endo he prescribed 100mg of thyronorm two days a week rest 50 mg.advised not to change brand and not to eat anything atleast 1.5 hr after taking medicine. Also told not to take any other medicines and health supplements for about 3 hrs. Next appointment scheduled after 1 month hope everything remains fine

[quote]KSman wrote:
Lets talk about iodine.

Have you two been using iodized salt for years. Confirm label on salt package.
If not continued iodized salt, she/you need supplemental iodine to get out of the hole. Try 0.5 1.0 mg/day for two weeks then pregnancy RDA after.

Prenatal vitamins should have the higher RDA.

RDA’s for iodine are increased during pregnancy for a good reason. Baby’s thyroid needs iodine too.

Women store iodine in breast tissue. Assumed to be for lactation for the baby.

Check her oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. These can be used to guide iodine replenishment or thyroid med dosing.

Note that some do not convert T4 medications to T3 very well and need a T4+T3 product like Armour Thyroid.

This is critical to fetal development.

TSH too high. fT3 fT4 are well below mid-range.

Does she get cold easily? now? before pregnancy?
Thyroid enlarged, sore, asymmetrical or lumpy.
Outer eyebrows sparse [if not plucked]

Essential fatty acids, flax seed oil/meal, nut and fish oil are associated with higher IQ’s in children.
[/quote]
Thanks ksman for giving vital information we will follow that. She don’t have sparse eyebrows and her body Temps are fine. We will continue iodine intake as advised by you