T Nation

Kris Dim Had A Stroke!!

This was posted by his training partner. I hope he recovers fully and remains strong.

“I am kris’s partner at his personal training studio and unfortunately the rumor is true…Kris went down yesterday at the studio and had emergency heart surgery to repair a split in his aortic valve…they thought that he was gonna be paralyzed because he did have a pretty significant stroke but i just visited kris and he is moving all limbs and he is speaking and coherent. They gave him a 10% chance of surviving the surgery but the big guy pulled through and it truly is a miracle. If there are any questions post them on here and i will do my best to answer them as the information comes my way; thank you and God bless.”

Somebody upstairs is looking out for him . . .

[quote]cally wrote:
This was posted by his training partner. I hope he recovers fully and remains strong.

“I am kris’s partner at his personal training studio and unfortunately the rumor is true…Kris went down yesterday at the studio and had emergency heart surgery to repair a split in his aortic valve…they thought that he was gonna be paralyzed because he did have a pretty significant stroke but i just visited kris and he is moving all limbs and he is speaking and coherent. They gave him a 10% chance of surviving the surgery but the big guy pulled through and it truly is a miracle. If there are any questions post them on here and i will do my best to answer them as the information comes my way; thank you and God bless.”

Somebody upstairs is looking out for him . . .[/quote]

Is the split congenital? That has to be pretty rare.

what sort of workout was he doing? does he have a family history of related heart diseases? and does he have problems with stress?

just asking…cos recently have been thinking a bit about strokes…just some random morbid thought…i mean, sometimes when i go heavy in my workouts, like when squatting and doing deadlifts, can feel this pressure building up in my head, but seems to only accumulate at a particular area…like running along a vein…plus, i got stress issues…so just a bit concerned…

but having said that, hope he recovers fully soon…would be great to see him come out of this all right man

[quote]jenjls wrote:
what sort of workout was he doing? does he have a family history of related heart diseases? and does he have problems with stress?

just asking…cos recently have been thinking a bit about strokes…just some random morbid thought…i mean, sometimes when i go heavy in my workouts, like when squatting and doing deadlifts, can feel this pressure building up in my head, but seems to only accumulate at a particular area…like running along a vein…plus, i got stress issues…so just a bit concerned…

but having said that, hope he recovers fully soon…would be great to see him come out of this all right man[/quote]

An old teammate of mine had a stroke about a year and a half ago. He was ~ 38. He has made a pretty good recovery so far.

It kind of came out of nowhere, perhaps a blood clot in the calf.

Scary stuff but you cannot let it put you off things you enjoy doing.

Aortic dissection is pretty rare in such cases but as this demonstrates, it would be unwise to think it is not a possibility.

Recently read an article in Cardiology (Vol. 107, Issue 2) which reviewed aortic dissection and weight lifting.

The online abstract;

Background/Aims: In 2003, we reported on a small number of patients in whom acute aortic dissection appeared to be causally related to intense weight lifting. If additional cases could be identified, the phenomenon of weight lifting induced aortic dissection would be further substantiated. We now report a substantially larger number of cases in which aortic dissection is associated with intense physical exertion.

Methods: Additional cases of acute aortic dissection occurring at the time of intense physical exertion were accumulated and analyzed. Cases were culled from retrospective review of a large university data base and from reports forwarded to our attention from around the country. We determined type of activity bringing on symptoms, age and sex of the patients, location of the dissection (ascending or descending aorta), aortic size, therapy, and survival.

Results: We identified 31 patients in whom acute aortic dissection occurred in the context of severe physical exertion, predominantly weight lifting or similar activities. All patients except one were males. Mean age was 47.3 (range = 19?76). All except four dissections were in the ascending aorta. Only three patients (9.7%) had a family history of aortic disease. Mean aortic diameter on the initial imaging study was 4.63 cm. Twenty-six of the 31 cases were diagnosed ante-mortem and 5 post-mortem.

Overall, 10 of the 31 patients (32.2%) died. Of 24 patients reaching surgical therapy, 20 (83.3%) survived. Conclusion: Weight lifting related acute aortic dissection appears to be a real phenomenon, with increasing evidence for the association of extreme exertion with this catastrophic aortic event. Moderate aortic dilatation confers vulnerability to exertion-related aortic dissection. Individuals with known aortic dilatation should be cautioned to refrain from weight lifting or strenuous exertion.

Routine echocardiographic screening of individuals engaging in heavy strength training should be considered, in order to prevent this tragic loss of life.Copyright 2007 S. Karger AG, Basel.

Damn…the guy has had a lot of bad luck lately. I hope it gets better.

but having said that, hope he recovers fully soon…would be great to see him come out of this all right man

An old teammate of mine had a stroke about a year and a half ago. He was ~ 38. He has made a pretty good recovery so far.

It kind of came out of nowhere, perhaps a blood clot in the calf.

Scary stuff but you cannot let it put you off things you enjoy doing.[/quote]

i know…i love lifting…but can’t help being concerned…and especially after reading the other post above…even my pe teacher has asked me to back off on the intensity a bit (and train in the 20-30 rep range…which i don’t quite agree with)…maybe i’ll back off the intensity a little and see if the pressure goes away, and increase the intensity again later in a few weeks…

but enough of highjacking…anymore news on how’s kris dim? where did the op got the quote of his training partner from?

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Damn…the guy has had a lot of bad luck lately. I hope it gets better.[/quote]

Im certainly glad hes ok but what do you mean by that?

[quote]mr_slick wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
Damn…the guy has had a lot of bad luck lately. I hope it gets better.

Im certainly glad hes ok but what do you mean by that?
[/quote]

He’s had some family issues too.