Krav Maga

Thanks, Chris. I will check out that site. I also heard Degerberg Academy is good, but it is somewhere around $90 a month if I remember correctly, and I’m not sure if I want to commit that kind of money.

Kip, I agree with your philosophy, and that’s why I follow it. But, I am also the type of person that tries to plan for any eventuality and there are some situations that there are no other ways out of, so I want to be prepared.

I agree with you 100% scrappy. GW: Degerberg Academy eh? This book I have called Heroes Die…(haven’t read it yet) but the author takes “the Degerberg Blend”. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it’s supposed to be somewhat famous. Apparently, back in the day Bruce Lee came in once or twice and trained some students. My roommate went there for a month for some Muay Thai classes, and said there were some badasses there.

Nate Dogg - I understand where you’re coming from regarding the formalities of many martial arts training, and it is certainly true that some instructors can use those formalities merely to inflate themselves and lord over their students. That said, the formalities can serve a purpose. If a person can’t handle the discipline imposed by that class formality, why in the world would you give that person the tools to make potentially-lethal decisions?

Please understand, Nate, this isn’t directly at you personally. If memory serves, you were at the Orlando T-mag conference, and the impression you left was one of an discplined individual. As you know, that’s not true of everyone, and sometimes - especially in retail - you have to gear your approach to the common-place.

To others: I believe some reference was make to the Degerberg Academy. The gentleman’s name is Fred Degerberg. I’ve not had the pleasure of meeting with him, but a former instructor of mine studied with him, and spoke very highly. Search Yahoo with “Fred Degerberg” and you’ll find links to his website.

Regarding practical MA, I’m no means an expert, but I’ve enjoyed Filipino arts - Degerberg teaches some - again, search Yahoo for more references.

Finally, the most practical MA advice I ever got from my instructor was “The Four Rules of a Knife Fight”:

Rule #1: Don’t get into one.
Rule #2: Talk, and keep talking until talking won’t work anymore. Then run, and keep running until running won’t work anymore. Then try talking again. Then run again. Keep going until all possible combinations of talking and running have been exhausted.
Rule #3: You going to get cut. Accept it and go on. Ironically, you’ll probably get cut less with this attitude than the guy who’s worried about whether he’ll get cut or not.
Rule #4: If you do end up in a knife fight, no matter what, make sure the other guy bleeds more than you do.

“I am a man of peace and non-violence. I understand not everyone is like-minded.” - TE

Buy a .45 and get a carry permit. I guarantee it will defeat any martial arts professional on the planet.

To Whiz Kydd: I have a permit. I own several .45s, among other things. I’ve studied practical guncraft for about 15 years now. The gun club I belong to was started by Clint Smith, who eventually moved to Texas to become proprietor/owner of Thunder Ranch. We have members with standing offers of employment as Thunder Ranch instructors. I say all this to show that these are not my thoughts, but what I’ve learned from the guys who’ve ‘been there’.
At 18 feet, you’re right. At 18 inches, you have to create the time and space to get to your “safety equipment”. That means using your hands, feet, etc.
Personal safety should be a series of tactics and techniques, layered one on top of another. Carrying a cell-phone is a layer. Possibly carrying a whistle is another. Merely being aware of what’s going on around you is a great layer. Knowing a few simple empty-hand techniques that are practiced enough to be reactive, and therefore effective, are a good idea for everyone, and ought to be considered essential for anyone who chooses to exercise the right (and accept the responsibility) to carry a firearm. A person who has firearm as their “only resort” is doing themselves a disservice.
I wish you well. TE

The author looks like a badass. LOL. :slight_smile:

Hi TE,

You make some very good points. In addition to my .45 I also carry a Spyderco folder. Anyone who gets within 21 feet of me is going to be eyeballed and evaluated as to whether they are a potential threat, then responded to accordingly. I made my remark half in jest and half sarcastically, responding to what I perceived as a very large investment of time in learning techniques that would likely be of little use in most situations. However, you are certainly correct when you say a person needs to know some basic moves to use in the event someone does slip past your guard and get too close. I always remember the maxim about what happens when you bring a knife to a gunfight and believe that bringing a black belt in any discipline to such a fight would be futile. Personally a gunfight is all I’m ever likely to get in as unless my life (or that of someone close to me) is threatened I’ll be walking the other way. If someone skilled in martial arts is after me I would regard that as a life threatening situation and respond accordingly.