Kornheiser on MNF

How do you all feel about Tony Kornheisers’ performance now that he’s on Monday Night Football?

I for one think he’s doing terribly. I’ve watched for a few weeks and now I’m confident in my opinion that Kornheiser sucks.

Analytically he’s got nothing to offer. Theisman does a good job with that and Torico is doing great on the play by play, but Tony just sits there inbetween them and has not a word to say unless there’s something controversial or he wants to delve into rumor and speculation about something.

This isn’t “Pardon the Interruption,” this is Monday Night Football. Stop with all the watercooler bullshit that makes me take a deep breath and wish to God he’d shut the fuck up.

Last night’s game was about a city rebuilding itself, yet he saw it necessary to bring up the whole Reggie Bush deal as well as mention that the city is no-where near being completely re-built.

Well no shit, Tony.

Let the city and the country celebrate the milestone of New Orleans having football again for a minute, that’s what all the hype was about to begin with.

Terico and Theisman are doing their jobs (calling a football game) and it seems Kornheiser is there working hard to tear everything down and correct Theismans’ grammar. I don’t understand why he’s on the broadcast team if that’s all he has to offer.

Monday Night Football is an institution and it needs to be broadcast by the best, Kornheiser in my opinion, is far from it…

…I feel better…

B.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

Monday Night Football is an institution and it needs to be broadcast by the best, Kornheiser in my opinion, is far from it…

B. [/quote]

yeah, bring back Miller. :slight_smile:

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Analytically he’s got nothing to offer. Theisman does a good job with that[/quote]

I stopped reading right there…

Theisman is a fucking idiot. Great player. God awful announcer. He makes ridiculous statements all that time on the air and for some reason nobody ever calls him out on it. In the pre-season he said that Koren Robinson was an upgrade over Randy Moss for Minnesota. Kornheiser actually laughed out loud at him.

I’m a TK fan. MNF is probably not the best spot for him, but anybody speaking BESIDES Theisman is good in my book.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
BradTGIF wrote:
Analytically he’s got nothing to offer. Theisman does a good job with that

Theisman is a fucking idiot. Great player. God awful announcer. He makes ridiculous statements all that time on the air and for some reason nobody ever calls him out on it. In the pre-season he said that Koren Robinson was an upgrade over Randy Moss for Minnesota. Kornheiser actually laughed out loud at him.

I’m a TK fan. MNF is probably not the best spot for him, but anybody speaking BESIDES Theisman is good in my book.

[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more. I despise Theisman.

As for TK, I don’t really have problem with him.

i like watching sunday night football better, with al saunders and john madden. they all suck on MNF

[quote]Ballin4Christ32 wrote:
i like watching sunday night football better, with al saunders and john madden. they all suck on MNF[/quote]

You mean Al Michaels. Al Saunders is the offensive coordinator for the Redskins if I’m not mistaken.

ah yes. i couldnt think of his name and that just sounded right.

At least he isn’t Dan Deirdorf.

I like TK, I miss his radio show

seems like a down to earth type of guy

[quote]Built Big wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
BradTGIF wrote:

I couldn’t agree more. I despise Theisman.

As for TK, I don’t really have problem with him. [/quote]

I agree that Theisman sucks. He strays from the game too much (actually far too many analysts do) and I get tired of him always saying, “<player’s name> is the best <player’s position> in the league right now.” They can’t all be great. It’s ok to call a person out when they aren’t performing. In fact, it’s your job.

TK is ok, I love him on PTI, but he is out of his element on MNF. He doesn’t bother me much, but he doesn’t add to it either. Tirico is doing pretty well, though, I think.

Personally, I thought Dan Fouts was great. I wish they would have made a team of him and Al Michaels.

Everytime I see that chris guy I want to call out used car salesman and punch him in the face.

That team they had for the 2nd Monday night game in Week 1, San Diego v Oakland, was actually much better than the main team – it was Jaworski, Vermeil, and I can’t remember the name of the third guy.

[quote]doogie wrote:
At least he isn’t Dan Deirdorf.[/quote]

I remember seeing a sign on a MNF game back when Diergorf was part of the team. It said simply: “What the hell is a Dierdorff?”

I adopted it and use that line still to this day.

Kornheiser elicits no strong reaction from me good or bad.

I can’t stand Theisman, or Fouts.

I think the premier announing team right now has to be Aikman/Buck. Those guys know their shit, and know when to shut up and watch football.

I’d rather stick a fork in my ear than to have to listen to Theisman … so the addition of Tony K. has been refreshing … I’m for anything to shut Theisman’s mouth.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
BradTGIF wrote:

[/quote]

Agree!

The 3 man booth is awkward. It takes 3 really good guys to make it work. I think the weak link is theismann. He’s horrible. I think Phil Simms would have been a much better choice. Kornheiser, is ok he’s just out of place. He really doesnt have anyone to vibe with. Tirico is busy w/ PBP and Theismann is so Full of it. It really doesnt work>

[quote]rainjack wrote:
doogie wrote:
At least he isn’t Dan Deirdorf.

I remember seeing a sign on a MNF game back when Diergorf was part of the team. It said simply: “What the hell is a Dierdorff?”

I adopted it and use that line still to this day.

Kornheiser elicits no strong reaction from me good or bad.

I can’t stand Theisman, or Fouts.

I think the premier announing team right now has to be Aikman/Buck. Those guys know their shit, and know when to shut up and watch football. [/quote]

Agree with you on Aikman and Buck.

The only guy that drives me berserk to the point of watching a different game is Tony Siragusa. I know he’s just a sideline guy, but everytime he opens his mouth, my blood pressure goes through the roof. The single most useless person in sports broadcasting today whose name isn’t Bob Costas.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
That team they had for the 2nd Monday night game in Week 1, San Diego v Oakland, was actually much better than the main team – it was Jaworski, Vermeil, and I can’t remember the name of the third guy.[/quote]

Jaworski is the best in the business when it comes to breaking down film and explaining offensive plays, defensive coverages, and the technical aspects of the game (See NFL Matchup). He is BY FAR superior to Theismann in the color commentator role.

However, ESPN knows that real football fans will watch MNF regardless of who the color commentator is, so we get stuck with lower quality football analysis in exchange for the alleged entertainment value.

This drives me crazy, but I suppose the networks see football games as opportunities to sell high-priced ad space and thus try to obtain the largest audience possible to maximize the advertising revenue.

Leaving any discussion about Theismann aside, I don’t think Kornheiser adds anything to the viewing experience. Hence, he shouldn’t be there.

I agree with whomever said that the 3-man booth is awkward. I think the only way the 3-man works is if at least 2 of them played in the NFL at different positions, like Theismann and McGuire did. That way, when JT says something absurd, the other former player can call him on it and not be given the “you never played, so shut up” attitude, or feel that he can’t call him on it b/c he didn’t play.

DB