T Nation

Kongo vs. Velasquez at UFC 99


#1

Huge upgrade over Herring. Can't wait to see this one. I can't imagine what they offered Kongo to take this one after just fighting, but I would bet it includes some sort of plan for a title shot. This is a huge fight for either guy.

I am going to have to go with Velasquez by GNP.


#2

OOHHH nice! Big fight for both guys. Yeah I could see this setting up for a title shot.

Kongo TKO round 2.


#3

WOW…interesting to say the least. I think I’m going to ride with Velasquez on this one. Can’t wait to see that fight.

Its gonna be like Santa Anna vs. Shaka Zulu.


#4

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
WOW…interesting to say the least. I think I’m going to ride with Velasquez on this one. Can’t wait to see that fight.

Its gonna be like Santa Anna vs. Shaka Zulu.[/quote]

Lolz.


#5

Since my last name is Velasquez guess who I’m rooting for :stuck_out_tongue:

The key is to NOT knee Kongo in the junk accidentally since he returns the favour in the last UFC fight I saw him in. Guy’s a beast but Cain is no cardboard cutout either.


#6

Kongo has to be due a title shot pretty soon. I think if he beats Velasquez, which I think he will. His next fight will earn him his shot.


#7

[quote]Barachiel wrote:
Kongo has to be due a title shot pretty soon. I think if he beats Velasquez, which I think he will. His next fight will earn him his shot.[/quote]

Most likely…but I still have a hunch that they will pit Kongo vs. Carwin before a title shot. Well,at least I hope so…I’m still not sold on Kongo being a #1 contender just yet. If he finishes Velasquez convincingly,I might change my mind.


#8

[quote]Barachiel wrote:
Kongo has to be due a title shot pretty soon. I think if he beats Velasquez, which I think he will. His next fight will earn him his shot.[/quote]

Now, that would be a fight. Lesnar would have his hands full with Kongo(and vice versa). Not counting out Mir yet, but i think Brock will keep the belt.

99 might actually be worth checking out now.


#9

"but I still have a hunch that they will pit Kongo vs. Carwin before a title shot. Well,at least I hope so…I’m still not sold on Kongo being a #1 contender just yet. If he finishes Velasquez convincingly,I might change my mind. "

I was thinking the same thing. His loss to Herring set him back a step.

In all honesty I’m not a big Congo fan, but if he earns it, he earns it. But even if -and in my opinion it’s a big IF- he gets a win over Carwin and Velasquez. He still has to contend with the loser of the Mir/Lesnar match-up.

Possibly even Noguera. we’ll see.


#10

Kongo will win first round GNP. His wrestling is better, and Velasquez doesn’t have kicks/knees in his arsenal. Velasquez is a strong up and comer, but he’s not ready for the likes of Kongo. Kongo if he can beat Carwin, is due for a title shot. Not sure if he is a good enough all around fighter to take/keep the title though, maybe in a few years.


#11

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
Kongo will win first round GNP. His wrestling is better, and Velasquez doesn’t have kicks/knees in his arsenal. Velasquez is a strong up and comer, but he’s not ready for the likes of Kongo. Kongo if he can beat Carwin, is due for a title shot. Not sure if he is a good enough all around fighter to take/keep the title though, maybe in a few years.[/quote]

I seriously…SERIOUSLY…doubt that Kongo will GNP Velasquez. I usually give you the benefit of a doubt…but you didn’t do your homework on this one. Velasquez is a former 2x All-American wrestler(Arizona State…teammates with C.B. Dolloway and Ryan Bader)…and JC national champ.

No way Kongo has better wrestling…no way. Oh and Velasquez does have kicks(decent low kicks,imo) and knees…but he shouldn’t stray to far away from his bread and butter. Especially against Kongo.


#12

Oh wow, no I clearly didn’t do my homework. Didn’t know Velasquez was a former collegiate wrestler. Hmmm… Well Kongo might be in deeper water than I thought. We’ll see if Velasquez can work the reach, I’m assuming he’s got less reach than Kongo, cause I can’t find stats on reach.

This is a tough one, both are known for ko’s and tko’s although Kongo just hasn’t been looking like the wrecking machine I thought he would be, until last fight.

Damn I thought it would be simple. Ok so maybe Velasquez by GNP if he can’t figure out the reach. Oh hell now I’ve got to go re-watch all their fights and make up my damn mind!