Kong Climbed That Damn Building Again

Lol! Hey man, I’m just a student of the game as you are. :slight_smile:

The first time I sparred I got lit up too, landed one solid shot and got my bell rung numerous times. Everybody who has sparred against better fighters has had similar experiences, but it is up to you what you do with that experience; you can either learn from it and motivate yourself to get better or get discouraged and give up. You seem to have the right attitude.

IMO landing solid shots is a product of being in the right place and choosing the right techniques at the right time, which can really only be developed via endless pursuit of perfect technical practice and drilling applications (defensive sparring, defensive counter sparring, and isolated sparring work best for this IME) to the point where you no longer have to think about executing your offensive, defensive, and counter offensive skills and can simply “flow”. It sounds like your coach(es) have you on the right track with how they structured that training session. Just be patient, keep an eye on precision, and try to have fun; it’ll come.

Friday, July 3, 2015

Bless me for I have…[insert blah, blah, blah]

Seriously though, since these last few recent posts have generated some views I thought I might give a run down of this afternoon’s sparring session. I would like to have had a video, i would have to get some equipment and the corresponding permission, maybe off in the future.

The earlier parts of the class went much like last week.

When it got to round robin 2 minute sparring sessions, I think I held in much better. I had less inhibition about trying to get at my opponents, and at times demonstrated some actual aggression. My mouthguard I bought over the weekend stayed in place, so I didn’t come across as whining my way out of a second round, as last week.

Still, I actually recused myself from the 4th installment because I was noticing that I was fatiguing and flayling my arms, something like in my older Kong thread in the 3rd round. A rope skipping session earlier this week that was intended to drive up my cardio was curtailed because i was worried about reaggravating my right calf strain from a few months ago. What would be the point of competely restraining it?

Generally I still got owned, but I am sure I got in a few licks here and there. On the way out I asked Mark Hominik if I should feel like a new man. He sort of laughed and went along with agreeing in a sense, but fuck it, it feels like it to me.

If I were you I would avoid sparring for the first couple months. At least the first month.

Its hard enough getting used to the technique without having to worry about someone trying to hit you at the same time.

Get the basics right, and always visualise (when on the bag or shadowing) that you are sparring with an opponent.

You want to gradually build, you don’t want to put yourself off by getting hit a lot early on.

You’ve got a good attitude, just keep working at it and understand it all takes time.

And shadow box as much as possible. Shadow shadow shadow!

[quote]Kirks wrote:
If I were you I would avoid sparring for the first couple months. At least the first month.

Its hard enough getting used to the technique without having to worry about someone trying to hit you at the same time.

Get the basics right, and always visualise (when on the bag or shadowing) that you are sparring with an opponent.

You want to gradually build, you don’t want to put yourself off by getting hit a lot early on.

You’ve got a good attitude, just keep working at it and understand it all takes time.

And shadow box as much as possible. Shadow shadow shadow! [/quote]

Monday, July 13, 2015

First, thanks to Kirks and Sentoguy for recent posts here.

Bless…[yech, blech, ugh!]

On Friday I made it into Friday afternoon sparring. Thursday I had intended to be a regular class day, I just felt damn tired. the sort of tired in which one wakes up tired. this is bloody frustrating, I am wondering if I should cut out weightlifting as an unnecessary frill draining my weekly energy reserves. Still, I can’t remember exactly the last time I took a week off for rest that wasn’t a sick week.

To Kirks, I just today came to the end of 4 months of membership, during which time I was reasonably consistent making about 3 kickboxing classes per week. Reasonable, not bad. Therefore I was not out of line doing the sparring, when I mentioned it I was asked how long I had been a member, and there was no issue.

Still, on Friday I felt dead deep inside and debated whether or not I should really go. There have been times in the past with weightlifting when I thought I had an off day, and said, “fuck it, it is just in my mind and I can do it”. So I went in and early in the sparring class suspected I would flake out early. And thus it was. My first opponent had almost free reign to ding me unopposed, and I got it. I showed occasional spurts of aggression, but it must have been funny for him how easily he evaded me.

The next 2 opponents I actually was pitiful, and I felt like a spent force not doing the bare minimum to defend myself, they actually told me to.

I opted out of the class after that. As my membership was running out I asked coach Chris Horodecki about things and he suggested I get back more to regular classes, I suppose before more sparring attempts.

What I can do is pay day by day until such time as I can actually afford a block of membership time, but I was hoping to conserve what I have for sparring on Fridays. What I am trying to rationalize is that my July 3rd appearance was better, and maybe with some time off I can reasonably get back in the swing and sort of preserve what I have achieved with this past membership.

when I returned my membership card I didn’t have face time with either Mark Hominik or Horodecki, but the staff member who has taught some classes said mainly to shadowbox. Kirks had already said that above, and I remember in times gone past that Irish did as well.

Finally, I will take some time to rest and see if I can make a return to sparring when I feel more spry.

Edit: What I want to be able to say on my side with this Friday is: 1. I actually made myself go and show in the first place.

1. the beating I took is more experience with taking a beating, so I am a little more around the block with it.

tuesday, August 4, 2015

Fireworks today! No, I am Canadian and I realize it is a month off anyway.

I actually got in a dust up this morning while walking to grocery shopping. It was barely much of one, I didn’t resolve to do much.

Here goes: I was walking along the street, and up ahead walking slower was a couple walking their dog on a leash. They stopped to let the dog sniff at something more to the left and I walked around to the right, having to go onto grass of the concrete to do so. I was gaining on getting ahead and wanted to make it back on to the sidewalk when the dog came forward on a leash that was getting longer and cut off my real estate.

I was a bit ticked off and said, “mind your mutt”. There was no immediate reaction and so I made a kicking gesture towards the dog, but did not contact.

The man and lady walking the dog freaked out on me and I knew, ‘holy shit, now I did it’, type of thing. they yelled that I had no business kicking their dog (I had only gestured a kick), and the male came at me. He is about my size and decked me with a shot to the forehead. I knew the first rule of reality martial arts is never be on the ground, so I sprang up. He postured and yelled some more before walking along.

I stood there and a few moments later started walking in the same direction, I had resolved not to let my shopping trip get put off. A nearby person asked what happened, I gave a quick recap, and she said she would call the police. I said I wasn’t asking her to.

these people I noticed a moment later were carrying the dog and jaywalked and then showed up at an address nearby. I kept walking thinking, ‘should I pick more with him?’, but never actually did.

So I shopped. As to damage, I now have slightly sore, slightly swollen thing on my forehead, a few tiny scrapes on my elbow and hand, and I wonder if the left side of my back is a bit off.

Overall analysis from me is that I did not jump up and down and scream for mommy, that is a plus.

Also a plus, I already mentioned I immediately regained my feet when decked.

But, the cons: I got decked without attempting to block or slip.

Also con, I had the appearance of being completely Pwn3d. I got into something that I suddenly realized I wasn’t willing to take the McArthur doctrine with. I have sparred in the last 6 weeks several times, but somehow I didn’t bring myself to just DO. I at the time suddenly concluded that it is reality martial arts and there could be complications of various sorts, not just at the then and there, and my stiff upper lip wasn’t there.

As to training, I had wanted to get back in the gym these last couple of weeks, it just didn’t happen. I thought yesterday to book a one on one lesson at the place, in order to assess where I am after a few months of training and some sparring, and to assign homework with my equipment here until I can be in a rejoining position, not that soon.

So, bless me for…actually not crying for mommy?

I don’t bless you at all. You started shit for no reason, and you got put in your place. If you’d done that to me while I was walking either of my dogs, I’d have done the same thing.

There’s only one moral to this story: Mind your business, and don’t mouth off to someone for no reason.

[quote]DeadKong wrote:
tuesday, August 4, 2015

I actually got in a dust up this morning while walking to grocery shopping. It was barely much of one, I didn’t resolve to do much.

Here goes: I was walking along the street, and up ahead walking slower was a couple walking their dog on a leash. They stopped to let the dog sniff at something more to the left and I walked around to the right, having to go onto grass of the concrete to do so. I was gaining on getting ahead and wanted to make it back on to the sidewalk when the dog came forward on a leash that was getting longer and cut off my real estate.

I was a bit ticked off and said, “mind your mutt”. There was no immediate reaction and so I made a kicking gesture towards the dog, but did not contact.

The man and lady walking the dog freaked out on me and I knew, ‘holy shit, now I did it’, type of thing. they yelled that I had no business kicking their dog (I had only gestured a kick), and the male came at me. He is about my size and decked me with a shot to the forehead. I knew the first rule of reality martial arts is never be on the ground, so I sprang up. He postured and yelled some more before walking along.

I stood there and a few moments later started walking in the same direction, I had resolved not to let my shopping trip get put off. A nearby person asked what happened, I gave a quick recap, and she said she would call the police. I said I wasn’t asking her to.

these people I noticed a moment later were carrying the dog and jaywalked and then showed up at an address nearby. I kept walking thinking, ‘should I pick more with him?’, but never actually did.

So I shopped. As to damage, I now have slightly sore, slightly swollen thing on my forehead, a few tiny scrapes on my elbow and hand, and I wonder if the left side of my back is a bit off.

Overall analysis from me is that I did not jump up and down and scream for mommy, that is a plus.

Also con, I had the appearance of being completely Pwn3d. I got into something that I suddenly realized I wasn’t willing to take the McArthur doctrine with. I have sparred in the last 6 weeks several times, but somehow I didn’t bring myself to just DO. I at the time suddenly concluded that it is reality martial arts and there could be complications of various sorts, not just at the then and there, and my stiff upper lip wasn’t there.

As to training, I had wanted to get back in the gym these last couple of weeks, it just didn’t happen. I thought yesterday to book a one on one lesson at the place, in order to assess where I am after a few months of training and some sparring, and to assign homework with my equipment here until I can be in a rejoining position, not that soon.

So, bless me for…actually not crying for mommy? [/quote]

You are mistaken. The first rule of reality martial arts is the to avoid this type of shit. This is most effectively accomplished by practicing god situational awareness, checking your ego and observing the rule of the “3 stupids” (as per our friend Robert A).

To paraphrase: If you, 1.)go to stupid places, 2.)be around stupid people and/or 3.)do stupid things you will win stupid prizes. You were in clear contravention of number 3), and as such you won a stupid prize (i.e. getting laid out).

Kicking at someone’s dog (“gesture” or not) is pretty much on par with calling someone’s female companion a bitch or equivalent. Even if it’s accurate/justified (in your mind), it’s an extremely bad idea. Even “mind your mutt” was a pretty poor strategy, really. A firm but courteous “excuse me please” would have been better advised as a jumping off point.

That should be the biggest “con” in your after action analysis. Check your ego and don’t start shit for no reason. You stand to gain absolutely nothing and could potentially lose everything.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I don’t bless you at all. You started shit for no reason, and you got put in your place. If you’d done that to me while I was walking either of my dogs, I’d have done the same thing.

There’s only one moral to this story: Mind your business, and don’t mouth off to someone for no reason. [/quote]

Preach, brother. And Batman, bang on mate.

Deadkong - In the immortal words of a 67 year old former boxer to a hoodrat I saw try to mug him: ‘Don’t start something you can’t finish’. (In this story, old fella and I saw that said hoodrat got a firm clip round the ear for his error of judgement).

As the boys have said, you were firmly in the wrong and you got your just deserts. Personally I think you got off likely. There are people out there who’d have stomped you into the ground for what you did, and springing up would have just made you more fun to knock back down.

I hope the lesson that you take away from this is that a little bit of training can be a dangerous thing, and if you throw your weight around, pretty soon someone is going to call you out on it - at which point you’ll end up looking like a paper tiger. You’re lucky the guy didn’t have a better idea what he was doing and hit you in the forehead. With a bit of training, he’d have had you shitting teeth for a week.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]DeadKong wrote:
tuesday, August 4, 2015

You are mistaken. The first rule of reality martial arts is the to avoid this type of shit. This is most effectively accomplished by practicing god situational awareness, checking your ego and observing the rule of the “3 stupids” (as per our friend Robert A).

To paraphrase: If you, 1.)go to stupid places, 2.)be around stupid people and/or 3.)do stupid things you will win stupid prizes. You were in clear contravention of number 3), and as such you won a stupid prize (i.e. getting laid out).

Kicking at someone’s dog (“gesture” or not) is pretty much on par with calling someone’s female companion a bitch or equivalent. Even if it’s accurate/justified (in your mind), it’s an extremely bad idea. Even “mind your mutt” was a pretty poor strategy, really. A firm but courteous “excuse me please” would have been better advised as a jumping off point.

That should be the biggest “con” in your after action analysis. Check your ego and don’t start shit for no reason. You stand to gain absolutely nothing and could potentially lose everything.[/quote]

Exactly.

Threatening to kick someone’s dog (who many people consider to be part of their family and even equal to a child in some cases) is seriously out of line. There are not many things that will draw a violent response from me (you can call me any name in the book, question my “manhood”, or attempt pretty much any method of attacking my ego and I’m just going to walk away), but hurting or threatening to hurt my family is one of those few things that can. And like Irish, Batman, and London have already said, you are lucky that the person you pissed off wasn’t more capable of hurting you.

You seem to be chronically fatigued lately (from your recent posts), which may have contributed to your bad mood and subsequent over reaction to this incident. You also seem somewhat frustrated and maybe a little discouraged. I would drop the resistance training for a little while, try to get some more sleep, maybe up your protein or food intake slightly (if you aren’t eating well already), and definitely spend some time contemplating your moral compass (when and why you would actually use violence and when it’s best to just let things slide). Hopefully if you can let your body recover it will also improve your mood/irritability.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]DeadKong wrote:
tuesday, August 4, 2015

That should be the biggest “con” in your after action analysis. Check your ego and don’t start shit for no reason. You stand to gain absolutely nothing and could potentially lose everything.[/quote]

Exactly.

Threatening to kick someone’s dog (who many people consider to be part of their family and even equal to a child in some cases) is seriously out of line. There are not many things that will draw a violent response from me (you can call me any name in the book, question my “manhood”, or attempt pretty much any method of attacking my ego and I’m just going to walk away), but hurting or threatening to hurt my family is one of those few things that can. And like Irish, Batman, and London have already said, you are lucky that the person you pissed off wasn’t more capable of hurting you.

You seem to be chronically fatigued lately (from your recent posts), which may have contributed to your bad mood and subsequent over reaction to this incident. You also seem somewhat frustrated and maybe a little discouraged. I would drop the resistance training for a little while, try to get some more sleep, maybe up your protein or food intake slightly (if you aren’t eating well already), and definitely spend some time contemplating your moral compass (when and why you would actually use violence and when it’s best to just let things slide). Hopefully if you can let your body recover it will also improve your mood/irritability.[/quote]

Was checking in this morning and came across this little gem, cannot add anything to the excellent advise already given, but, good God , Sir, attacks against family, kids, and pets will get you killed quicker than a cat can lick its ass. No shit story: arrived on a location with the Afghan ANP, guy lying on the ground bled out from a massive throat slash. Seems like he hit another man’s goat with a stick, guy took offense, killed him. ANP said “ok” and we left. Think before you act.

I have to ask… What kind of dog was it?

[quote]Will207 wrote:
[/quote]

this was not a rip the seat off my pants dog. Maybe a pug? I am vague on dog breeds, but it looked like a British Bulldog, not all that big, with a dark face, fairly light hair otherwise. this is not a pogram by me against dogs. It is like a few years ago how an unemployed East coaster or Quebecker might have joined the army and risked being blown up by an IED. It isn’t as if the Taleban called them up at home and said, ‘Let’s rumble.’ They are just put in a circumstance by the higher ups, in this case by the owners of the dog. I have a cumulative peeve with people letting or maybe even directing their dogs to bug me when I am out and about, and I still think it likely they had this animal by their intention to cut me off for a little bit and only let me by when their whim got around to it. So to that I stand by what I did, which was gesturing a kick and not actually contacting, and just felt a bit ambivalent about how much further I was willing to take things and what I would do when the situation precipitated into a raging scream.

I still assert that I feel stronger for this recent experience.

Now, Sentoguy is correct that I have been tired this week. Later Tuesday I did what is for me a typical home routine: 3 rounds on the rope, a few rounds of shadow boxing and whatever I could muster on the bag. I felt dead after the rope work. Wednesday I did nothing, thursday 3 rounds of shadow boxing (that seemed like a labour). Wednesday and Thursday nights I got very long sleeps and I wonder if that was too much. Today I awoke barely feeling any better, but insisted of myself that I maintain things so I did 3 rounds shadow, 2 on the bag, and think I am gradually getting into a better place.

I was going to have a one on one kickboxing lesson this evening, the coach opted out today because he has to take someone to a weigh in. I was thankful for the opportunity to reschedule for Wednesday the 12th.

I am still riding the supplementation magic carpet, and I have this to report of late. I started taking Maca 5 or 6 days a week, 1.25ml 3 times a day over a month ago. At first I felt great taking it, but had to admit over time that I was associating it with heart palpitations. I did more web research (the package had no information whatsoever) and increased heart rate was mentioned on 2 sites as possible side effects. I hadn’t taken an actual BPM during this time, and wonder if the slight increase in libido I noticed just had me either consciously or subconciously thinking about skirts and that is all it is. I took a single dose Monday morning and came off of it. I then remembered one piece of advice was to take Maca gradually, and maybe that is all the problem was. So this morning I took a single dose and will do this Saturday and Sunday, then for 3 days make it 2 doses, then see about going back to 3, with some days off per week.

Other than that, I am still a sucker for preworkout formulas. A few months ago I got myself a 30 dose thing of Dr. Jekyll. Only 100mg of caffeine per dose, the stuff makes me focus and get through a workout with an awesome feeling. I thought it was helpful before kickboxing classes (when I was doing them, I am off my membership until I can afford it), so I have been using the stuff. More recently, I got a half off deal on BPI Pump-HD. A 36 dose thing for $25 plus tax. I couldn’t resist. I have taken 4 doses over the week, and thought the first was a positive experience. Recently It hasn’t done as much, but maybe that isn’t its fault.

[quote]DeadKong wrote:

[quote]Will207 wrote:
[/quote]

this was not a rip the seat off my pants dog. Maybe a pug? I am vague on dog breeds, but it looked like a British Bulldog, not all that big, with a dark face, fairly light hair otherwise. this is not a pogram by me against dogs. It is like a few years ago how an unemployed East coaster or Quebecker might have joined the army and risked being blown up by an IED. It isn’t as if the Taleban called them up at home and said, ‘Let’s rumble.’ They are just put in a circumstance by the higher ups, in this case by the owners of the dog. I have a cumulative peeve with people letting or maybe even directing their dogs to bug me when I am out and about, and I still think it likely they had this animal by their intention to cut me off for a little bit and only let me by when their whim got around to it. So to that I stand by what I did, which was gesturing a kick and not actually contacting, and just felt a bit ambivalent about how much further I was willing to take things and what I would do when the situation precipitated into a raging scream.

I still assert that I feel stronger for this recent experience.

Now, Sentoguy is correct that I have been tired this week. Later Tuesday I did what is for me a typical home routine: 3 rounds on the rope, a few rounds of shadow boxing and whatever I could muster on the bag. I felt dead after the rope work. Wednesday I did nothing, thursday 3 rounds of shadow boxing (that seemed like a labour). Wednesday and Thursday nights I got very long sleeps and I wonder if that was too much. Today I awoke barely feeling any better, but insisted of myself that I maintain things so I did 3 rounds shadow, 2 on the bag, and think I am gradually getting into a better place.

I was going to have a one on one kickboxing lesson this evening, the coach opted out today because he has to take someone to a weigh in. I was thankful for the opportunity to reschedule for Wednesday the 12th.

I am still riding the supplementation magic carpet, and I have this to report of late. I started taking Maca 5 or 6 days a week, 1.25ml 3 times a day over a month ago. At first I felt great taking it, but had to admit over time that I was associating it with heart palpitations. I did more web research (the package had no information whatsoever) and increased heart rate was mentioned on 2 sites as possible side effects. I hadn’t taken an actual BPM during this time, and wonder if the slight increase in libido I noticed just had me either consciously or subconciously thinking about skirts and that is all it is. I took a single dose Monday morning and came off of it. I then remembered one piece of advice was to take Maca gradually, and maybe that is all the problem was. So this morning I took a single dose and will do this Saturday and Sunday, then for 3 days make it 2 doses, then see about going back to 3, with some days off per week.

Other than that, I am still a sucker for preworkout formulas. A few months ago I got myself a 30 dose thing of Dr. Jekyll. Only 100mg of caffeine per dose, the stuff makes me focus and get through a workout with an awesome feeling. I thought it was helpful before kickboxing classes (when I was doing them, I am off my membership until I can afford it), so I have been using the stuff. More recently, I got a half off deal on BPI Pump-HD. A 36 dose thing for $25 plus tax. I couldn’t resist. I have taken 4 doses over the week, and thought the first was a positive experience. Recently It hasn’t done as much, but maybe that isn’t its fault.[/quote]

Well, if after the replies you’ve gotten you “stand by what you did”, I don’t think I can really be of any help to you.

My last piece of advice. Gesturing a strike in Canada (where I believe you said you live) is assault according to the Criminal Code of Canada Sec 265(1)(b): "A person commits assault when…he attempts or threatens, by an ACT OR A GESTURE, to apply force to another person, if he has, or causes that other person to believe on reasonable grounds that he has, present ability to effect his purpose.

I realize this refers specifically to assaults against people, but my point is that neither the law nor most people are going to draw much of a distinction between a threatening gesture and an actual attack.

If you threaten a person or anyone or anything under that person’s protection with violence, I can assure you that many people will not be waiting for you to “actually contact” before they answer back.

I fully expect I am wasting my keystrokes here, so I won’t persist. Good luck with all that.

Dude should have hit you harder.

It has been a while since I have looked at programming variations, and thus for that purpose I am at least temporarily resurrecting this thread.

I am making good progress rehabbing my left bicep tendon strain, and anticipate a return in the coming few weeks to my program that I detailed at some mid point of Idaho’s the tactical life thread. He at that gave approval for what I was doing, but I hereby propose a variation on the weekly schedule that I am thinking to stick with as long as my living situation presents it as a viable option.

I live in a place right now with a backyard that has a concrete deck of good size, and a good sized amount of grassy area behind it.

Since I am 50 at some point this month, I need to keep recovery in mind. I want to do a 5 day program that looks like this:

Mon-Wed-Fri
8-10 rounds of shadowboxing (kick)

tu-Thu
skip rope 3 minutes, drop 10 pushups, 10 situps, 10 BW squats. Immediately pick up the rope and do it all again. Preferably do it a third time, but I don’t want to leave nothing left in my for the next part.

3 3 minute rounds, 1 minute between of pick up a 100lb bag explosively to shoulder height, run with it a few steps, drop it and jump on it and ground and pound it. 30 seconds later pick it up onto the other shoulder for balanced training and do the same. The bench mark is 18 pickups per session.

this gives techique work a high priority, and doesn’t leave my strength and conditioning either under done or wearing me out.

Any thoughts?