Kong Climbed That Damn Building Again

Friday, February 20, 2015

I went on hiatus late last May because I realized I was post whoring a ream of videos on my 035 journal with little change from one to the other, and realized that I was getting a good traffic of views with nigh to no feedback. this somewhat creeped me out. Also, keeping a journal in a sense keeps a person accountable, but also makes one anxious to keep up the routine.

I haven’t arranged myself another coach, I approached a local MMA place that never returned messages and realized that funding wasn’t realistically happening anyway. As to what I have done with money includes this:

It is an upgrade over my old setup, much quieter for the upstairs neighbours who have been gems letting me so far pound away at things. It is also ideal not just as a heavy bag stand, but it improvises perfectly both as a double end ball stand and chinning bar support, therefore increasing overall value to me.

My focus is boxing skills training, I want partly the fitness aspect, the skills use of my brain and overall capability if I need to call on it.

Several people have posted threads asking critique of their programs, and this is partly what spurred me to come out of hibernation. My current routine is essentially the same as I last indicated, largely. it is as follows:

Sunday

Some sort of leg lifting work, currently:
Warmup of 5 minutes footwork in random directions, 5 minutes of that with combinations to emulate fighting someone. Or 10 reps clock drill, another 5 with combinations.

Deadlifts, 3 sets of up to 5

Monday - Friday

footwork warmup as Sunday
Several rounds shadow boxing in front of a mirror. Occasionally casual form work on a bag, just form and not driving a pace.

3 rounds on the heavy bag, pushing a high work rate.

[Friday: after above 3 2 minute sets, 30 seconds between, 10lb medicine ball rebounded off a wall. DB hammer curls, 3 sets of up to 8]

Tuesday - Thursday

rope skipping, 3 3 minute rounds, switching up foot patterns every minute.

3 or 4 rounds on the double end ball, lately 1-2, 1-2 step over, continue.

Wednesday
Same warmup
Dips, Body weight, 4 sets of up to 7
chinups, body weight, 4 sets of up to 7
DB shoulder press, 3 sets of 6 - 8

Saturday off.

Supplements:
I just gave up on prefab pre workout formulas and just started with Creatine 5g with 3 grams of Beta Alanine preworkout, 5g of creatine post. Still use creatine on off day.

My rationale for this program is it gives me 6 rounds a week on the bag, with I hope adequate recovery time for muscles during let’s say Tuesday when I use my shoulder for just Double end ball work. Weight work on Wednesday is the same, and leg work on Sunday doesn’t end up causing a conflict.

So, I stick my neck in the guillotine for feedback on my program, and if anyone suggests useful changes I will appreciate them and gladly consider them.

Friday, February 20, 2015

This is my first round on the bag today. Obvious criticisms:

1. inconsistent with keeping my hands high enough.

2. Hand speed is too slow.

3. Not consistently keeping the elbow high enough when hooking.

On the good side, I think I can say:

1. My work rate was good.

2. My footwork is likely better than in the past.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Do you have a boxing coach?[/quote]

…umm…no. I knew that would come up, I did in the first post mention that I approached the local MMA place and got no response, and I am too broke anyway with employment volume and the fact I bought a new stand.

[quote]DeadKong wrote:

Do you have a boxing coach?[/quote]

…umm…no. I knew that would come up, I did in the first post mention that I approached the local MMA place and got no response, and I am too broke anyway with employment volume and the fact I bought a new stand.[/quote]

Yea, I missed that. My apologies. You really need a boxing coach. Really. Otherwise you’re doing fine if you’re just looking for cardio… but skillwise… You need a coach. Or at least to be around other boxers.

I was going to get a neighbourhood friend as a sparring partner. We are about the same age, he is heavyweight I am around 205lbs and we presume my cardio is better. He came up with a story about slipping and hurting a disk in his back, I don’t really know. He would rather grapple anyway.

So, I suppose this journal doesn’t need any more public scrutiny until I get actual coaching?

[quote]DeadKong wrote:
I was going to get a neighbourhood friend as a sparring partner. We are about the same age, he is heavyweight I am around 205lbs and we presume my cardio is better. He came up with a story about slipping and hurting a disk in his back, I don’t really know. He would rather grapple anyway.

So, I suppose this journal doesn’t need any more public scrutiny until I get actual coaching?[/quote]

Well believe me, I’m not trying to put you down - I’m in favor of anyone boxing. Its a great sport. But I’m not going to blow smoke up your ass either - to learn skills, you need a coach. You cant learn geometry on your own unless you’re unbelievable at math, and you wont learn to box on your own unless you’ve got incredible natural talent.

I been where you are man. Seriously. So don’t think I’m neing negative or trying to put you down. I’m just saying if you want to improve - which you seem to want to - you MUST get a coach.

You seem to have the dedication - which is always the hardest thing to find. So why not invest in a coach so your skills will match your dedication?

Stop following the bag when it swings… It will come back. Also, no one seems to have taught you the four basic punches, jab-cross-hook-upper. Also no one has taught you how to plant your feet and rotate your hips when you throw your cross or hooks(didnt see any hooks). One last criticism, JABS ARE NOT POWER PUNCHES. Not all punches are power punches.

You have the dedication down, all you need is a little foundation to build off of. I would seek a real coach because without being there to scream in your face I really can’t help you.

Quit pushing your punches so much, they have almost no ‘snap’ to them. You are pushing the bag around more than punching it. You are in a southpaw stance but it seems very un-natural, are you naturally left handed? I will echo the sentiments of others: I admire your determination and urge you to find a good coach.

Have to also stress finding someone to instruct you in person on correct punching mechanics; individual practice and repetition are crucial to developing skill, but practicing poor mechanics and habits till you are blue in the face will only re-enforce poor mechanics and habits which will be harder to break later down the road. Once you have someone teach you correct punching mechanics, then we can help refine things and give you pointers, but trying to teach you over the Internet via text would be extremely difficult and time intensive if even possible. Good luck.

It happens that I contacted a kick boxing coach at a local place that has some well known names associated with it. I was a bit leary at first of the cost, it is a hike above the boxing lessons I had 2 years ago, but the first lesson is free and I want to see how that goes. I told him that I could have one on one weekly lessons and do homework with my home equipment (but I lack a speed bag). I hope to learn as much as I can before I run out of money for it, farther down the road.

I will keep this thread up to date with events.

[quote]DeadKong wrote:
It happens that I contacted a kick boxing coach at a local place that has some well known names associated with it. I was a bit leary at first of the cost, it is a hike above the boxing lessons I had 2 years ago, but the first lesson is free and I want to see how that goes. I told him that I could have one on one weekly lessons and do homework with my home equipment (but I lack a speed bag). I hope to learn as much as I can before I run out of money for it, farther down the road.

I will keep this thread up to date with events.[/quote]
The very best of luck in your pursuits fella.

Keep in mind though, the best training you can do is done with no equipment at all.
Missing a speed bag is no big deal.

First, I forgot to thank all respondents for bothering to actually type something. I asked for feedback and I got it.

Yesterday I went for my first lesson in kickboxing. the instructor made it a free session just to feel out what kind of student I am and see if I like it there.

He stressed thoroughly that much of the force originates in the glutes for straight and upper cut punches, and that I need to sit down into it more than I already was.

I had some difficulty taking physical direction when he actually tried to position my hand and arm, I tended to resist it as awkward, that is just me. He was flexible as to how I breath and which stance to use.

I in some ways did well with boxing when tweaked, and he seemed to think my cardio is good, although I still want to upgrade that, the other day I awoke with a RHR of 58.

He scoped out my kicking, which I only ever learned from a Duke Rufus video and hadn’t trained since I don’t know when. I turned out to be surprisingly good straight off, but of course I suppose more proficiency will come in future.

this first lesson was free, and at the end we agreed I am not realistically going to continue with a one on one approach for very long with my budget. The other thing he stressed, which I heard I think from Irish already, is that I am best immersed in an environment with other fighters. this had me thinking to at lower cost take out a gym membership at a not bad monthly fee and have partners for pad work and such. I think if I can get off my ass and do 2 classes a week, I can still use my home setup for homework and still be benefitting, or what does anyone think?

[quote]DeadKong wrote:
I think if I can get off my ass and do 2 classes a week, I can still use my home setup for homework and still be benefitting, or what does anyone think?[/quote]

Pretty much this. Training with other fighters, under the eyes of a competent coach, two times a week will make you a lot better than you are right now.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

So, I actually joined the gym today. I was expecting the lower price for monthly membership, but thought it figured that that was on a year’s commitment. I just went for a month to be safe.

I went for the one hour kickboxing class today. The session started with 3 minutes of running forward, touching the floor, running backwards, touching the floor, and on like that. the next 3 minutes were running sideways, and then running the other way sort of twisting the hips each step.

then for most of the session we paired up. The person I got seemed reasonable, also fairly new. He started with the pads, and the instructor had us do 3 minute sessions of one combination, then 3 or another, 3 of yet another, and the 3 of all of them in quick succession. I felt like an idiot that i could barely remember what they were supposed to be, but then the partner occasionally brain farted.

Let’s see: jab/straight/rear uppercut/rear knee

straight/hook/lead uppercut/rear uppercut/switch stance rear knee

jab/uppercut/step off jab/step off jab

i probably got a bit of it off, but that is a gist.

Then we switched up and I figure my partner was secretly frustrated with my clumsiness, it is literally the first time I ever held pads.

At the end we had some time so he had us run across the area do diminishing pushups starting with 10. run to the other side, do 9 pushups etc. then it was 10 situps folllowed by 10 pushups and repeat. I was running out of steam by this time and cheated on my numbers, but then I wasn’t really full of energy all that much today. I said damnit, I am going in to train today.

I mentioned at times homework, and i am left to think I should make up my own routine, maybe not unlike what I have been doing, just hopefully improving technique.

Good for you for biting the bullet and actually joining the gym.

Don’t feel bad about not feeling competent while holding the pads; pad holding is an art in and of itself and it takes time to develop the skill just as it takes time to develop skill in hitting the pads. If you put in the time and effort though you will gain proficiency and become a much better training partner and/or coach down the line (which will in turn improve your skills as a fighter/practitioner).

At this point I would really just focus on repeating the basics that they show you as much as possible with a focus on quality. So something like:
-50 left jabs on the bag
-50 straight rights
-50 left hooks
-50 jab/straight right/left hook
-25 right round kicks
-25 switch step left round kicks
-25 left Teeps
-25 right Teeps
-25 jab/straight right/left hook/right round kick

Or something along those lines would be a good basics routine. If that is too much volume to start with, then do less reps. Not enough? Then do more or add more combinations. But again, make sure you focus on performing quality repetitions as only quality reps will produce quality skills.

I’d also strongly suggest ripping out your footwork patterns (focus on basic “step and slide” and switch step, then add pivoting, shuffle up, push shuffle, spring step, etc… as you gain proficiency with the basics) as good footwork is critical for good fighting skills.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

The thing you need to fix above all else is your attitude. You need to stop telling yourself that you’re no good, that you’re awkward, that other guys are getting frustrated with you. You’re creating a storyline that isn’t true, and you’re inserting yourself into it and it’s no doubt creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You want to learn to fight. You have the dedication to do so. You are a beginner, but you are still worth something, both to the class you’re in and to the people on this forum.

So don’t make any more negative statements to yourself - from here on in, it’s about YOU improving, and your journey doing that. No more putting yourself down in your head.

The thing you need to fix above all else is your attitude. You need to stop telling yourself that you’re no good, that you’re awkward, that other guys are getting frustrated with you. You’re creating a storyline that isn’t true, and you’re inserting yourself into it and it’s no doubt creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You want to learn to fight. You have the dedication to do so. You are a beginner, but you are still worth something, both to the class you’re in and to the people on this forum.

So don’t make any more negative statements to yourself - from here on in, it’s about YOU improving, and your journey doing that. No more putting yourself down in your head.[/quote]

I would link a slow clap gif here if I were a bit more ambitious, but you get the idea.

Please OP, read and internalize this. It will do at least as much for you as any technical advice anyone could post on here, IMO.

Sento and Irish nailed it. You’re a beginner, people expect you to be bad, don’t sweat it. Noone other than James Toney walks into a gym a world beater. Perhaps your partner was pissed off that you weren’t any good with the pads, but so what? It was your first time, and with your good attitude, you will improve over time. It is annoying when someone doesn’t hold the pads well, and is cutting all your punches short and making you miss, but it’s a part of the whole sport, and it’s happening to someone every night all around the world.

In 6 months time, a conscientious fellow like you will be someone that other fighters are deliberately trying to be paired up with for pad work, because you’ll commit to understanding and improving. In a sport where many guys are unreliable, uncommitted, and selfish, you are an asset to your gym. There have been plenty of times over my years in boxing where I’d have killed to have a guy in the gym who I knew, every time I went down there, would be there and committed to improving. That’s someone I could work with, and give my time to improving.

Keep your head down, train hard, and in 6 months you wont recognise yourself. Good luck.

Friday, June 26, 2015

Bless me Sento, for I have sparred!

Seriously, yes I finally got back in the saddle with this. My membership at my fight gym expires on July 13, and today and the next 2 Fridays I am committed to making it out to afternoon sparring.

I wasn’t sure what to expect as to format, but this is what I found out. First off we skipped rope, fine. Then whatever shadowboxing we could do for a while.

Then we partnered up and one would throw jabs, moving around and the other would mostly slip, occasionally parry.

The one would stay stationary and throw just jabs, the other person would try to slip and move inside. In both cases we would switch roles after a round, as it would figure.

these two exercises I thought were going reasonable, then the actual combat.

The next was we would throw jabs with the intent of actually dinging the other person. A clean hit to either the face or body was a point, but a good block was also a point, and anything else didn’t count. I lost 6 nothing. We rotated partners and I came closer to doing something, but I still don’t think I scored.

then the actual kickboxing. We were supposed to do 4 2 minute rounds, nothing fancy, more basic stuff allowed. My first opponent was better skilled, but it was his job to balance his efforts with mine. I felt like a nincompoop, and got my mouthguard put out of place more than once. He landed a few kicks, obviously got in my face several times, and I was just about always short of catching him with anything.

the key thing I found is this: Getting my mind around the inhibition of getting countered in the face everytime I went in. I did try and apply pressure, I grant myself that.

I have very nice teeth, and I was disappointed that the fucking guard needed to be refitted. I opted out of rotating to other opponents and basically went home. I admit that part of it was having the sort of stomach to get my face zinged, but I suppose that will come with time.

Next week, back to regular classes, and Friday another shot at getting sparring better.