T Nation

Knurling in Middle of Barbell

I was doing my 5/3/1 military press workout today and on my max effort set I didn’t get my head far enough back and scratched the bridge of my nose with the knurling in the middle of the barbell. I’ve scratched the fuck out of the back of my neck while doing complexes with that knurling before as well. I got to thinking, why the god damn hell is there knurling in the middle of the bar anyway?

for squats

[quote]Yogi wrote:
for squats[/quote]
And 1-arm deadlifts, side deadlifts/suitcase deadlifts, 1-arm shoulder presses/javelin presses, 1-arm curls, 1-arm rows, 1-arm cleans or snatches, farmer’s walks, Turkish get-ups, etc.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
for squats[/quote]
And 1-arm deadlifts, side deadlifts/suitcase deadlifts, 1-arm shoulder presses/javelin presses, 1-arm curls, 1-arm rows, 1-arm cleans or snatches, farmer’s walks, Turkish get-ups, etc.[/quote]

Pfft, what would Rippetoe say to all that?

:wink:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
for squats[/quote]
And 1-arm deadlifts, side deadlifts/suitcase deadlifts, 1-arm shoulder presses/javelin presses, 1-arm curls, 1-arm rows, 1-arm cleans or snatches, farmer’s walks, Turkish get-ups, etc.[/quote]

Pfft, what would Rippetoe say to all that?

;)[/quote]
He’d probably say that anyone who hits themselves in the bridge of the nose during a press should re-evaluate their Darwinian decision of putting a heavy load overhead in the first place. :wink:

The knurling on the middle of the bar is to teach you a lesson not to hit your nose with it.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
The knurling on the middle of the bar is to teach you a lesson not to hit your nose with it. [/quote]

lol thanks.