T Nation

Knowledge about Drugs, Chemistry, or Military Meps?

I am trying to be a military officer

I have never been depressed and I have never been to therapy for mental illness

However, I am 22 years old and have a very low libido, due to relatively high prolactin and low dopamine.

My Urologist wants me to try 75mg wellbutrin to correct this imbalance.

Even though I would not be using it for depression, wellbutrin is generally used as an anti-depressant

The use of an anti depressant even for other reasons mostly likely would disqualify me from being an officer in the military

I would only be taking it for a few months, and I don’t feel like it would effect my ability to function as an officer. I would be off it , far before I entered service.

I really want to start the wellbutrin so I can feel like a normal 22 year old but I have a military meps exam coming up.

My question is can the blood work at a military meps exam detect wellbutrin?

I don’t feel guility about not putting it because honeslty I am not depressed and would be taking it temporarily for problems that would not effect my leadership abilities or ability to deal with pressure.

Also can wellbutrin cause any false positives to show up?

DOD form 1010.16 says that the DOD labs are equipped to test for marijuana, cocaine, amphetamines, barbiturates, phencyclidine, opiates, and
lysergic acid diethylamide.

Would wellbutrin be one of these drugs?

There have been two reported cases of false-positive urine amphetamine tests in persons taking bupropion. Bupropion metabolites erythro-hydrobupropion and threo-hydrobupropion, which have a phenethylamine structure resembling amphetamine are likely to have been responsible for this reaction. More specific follow-up tests were negative.[141][142]

You need to use dostinex/cabergoline. You could augment that with deprenyl/seleginine, but that is also has issues: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selegiline