Knowledgable Books

I’ll get straight to the point.

I was supposed to be going to university this year (i’m 18) to study sports science, performance and physcology (just a compilation of most aspects of sports training).
but due to some financial restraints, i’ve been forced to take a year off and work to save up to pay for my entire fees (i refuse to let my parents fall into the big black hole of modern society called ‘debt’).

With this year, I not only plan on getting much bigger and better than before, but i plan on getting my brain much bigger and better than ever as well.

it was T-Nation that took me from just being a stupid typical teen bodybuilder (been working out for over 2 years now)into learning so much more about what the body can do.
this has also led me into a love for sports training and learning more about nutrition. i have read as many articles as i can, but one thing that holds me back is the somewhat ‘missing knowledge’ that i have. due to me not understanding some aspects, i find it hard to understand other aspects as well.

thierfore i’ve also decided upon reading more books. infact i’ve wanted to for some time, but…well, lets just say i’m not the richest boy around.

but now i have a new job, i can afford to get the certain ‘keys’ that i need to reach my physical and mental goals.

after some research, i have come to this books…

Supertraining

Science and Practice of Strength Training - Vladamir Zatsiorsky

U Power- Dr Fred Hatfeild

Big Black Book of Secrets- Christian Thibaudeu.

if anyone can add anymore books (that also cover nutrition as well), i would be gratefull (very).

and if i have made some spelling and gramatical erroers, i apologies as i am in a hurry.

Get yourself a textbook on Exercise Physiology, and a trail guide to Human Anatomy. Human Kinetics publishers are great. It all starts with the body and how it works.

Both will provide valuable base knowledge, and give you a head start on next year. Trust me.

[quote]t bone y2j wrote:
Get yourself a textbook on Exercise Physiology, and a trail guide to Human Anatomy. Human Kinetics publishers are great. It all starts with the body and how it works.

Both will provide valuable base knowledge, and give you a head start on next year. Trust me.[/quote]

do you now of any specific books? they must be hundreds out thier. it would be difficult for me to just select a few.

You should visit the websites of the universities you may attend.

You should be able to find the courses you will have to take, as well as some you want to take.

if there are course homepages, you may be able to find out what books they are using. if they don’t, they should at least have emails of the professor and teaching assistants. if you email them and explain your situation, they’ll probably tell you what books they’re using.

some of these big text books are rather expensive though, and I doubt you’ll find these in public libraries.

anyway, my guess is they’ll make you take some social science and humanity courses (I was in math & engineering and i still had to take those…). some of these classes uses books that are actually interesting, and are easier to find. I dunno how interested you are in these subjects (and I don’t know if you will actually have to take them either, find somebody who goes to the university you plan on attending and find out), but they’ll make you read alot, which means less time for other stuffs. you might want to read them now and take some notes.

not exactly what you asked for. but i hope it gives you some idea on what else you want to read this year

[quote]cancer wrote:
You should visit the websites of the universities you may attend.

You should be able to find the courses you will have to take, as well as some you want to take.

if there are course homepages, you may be able to find out what books they are using. if they don’t, they should at least have emails of the professor and teaching assistants. if you email them and explain your situation, they’ll probably tell you what books they’re using.

some of these big text books are rather expensive though, and I doubt you’ll find these in public libraries.

anyway, my guess is they’ll make you take some social science and humanity courses (I was in math & engineering and i still had to take those…). some of these classes uses books that are actually interesting, and are easier to find. I dunno how interested you are in these subjects (and I don’t know if you will actually have to take them either, find somebody who goes to the university you plan on attending and find out), but they’ll make you read alot, which means less time for other stuffs. you might want to read them now and take some notes.

not exactly what you asked for. but i hope it gives you some idea on what else you want to read this year[/quote]

thanx.
and i am very interested in the subject. infact, i had decided a long time ago to buy the books i listed, but due to my financial situation, i couldn’t.

Kendall - Muscle Testing and Function.

Sobatta/Tortorra/Sanday - Clinically Oriented Anatomy/ Textbook of human anatomy

As i mentioned, Human Kinetics publishers has a good listing. and Ex Phys book should do to start.

I’d suggest not buying books if you can help it. Going to the univeristy or local library would be great. Asking around to borrow books might yield dividends. Any book you buy, I suggest you buy it on http://www.bookfinder.com. It has the best prices bar none.

As far as diet goes, it depends on what works for you. I’ve always thrived on low carb diets so Metabolic Diet, Ultimate Diet Secrets and Ultimate Diet 2.0 would be great for that. Eat Right for Your Type seems to be the flavor of the week. I’ve read the above except for UD 2.0 but Christian Thibadeau summed it up for me, so those are the ones I’d recommend. There’s also an article on T-mag called “Feed Your Head” that goes into this topic.

I like the strength coaches playbook by Joe Kenn. A very practical application of conjugate training to athletes.

This may offend some, but I’d save Supertraining for the last book.

It is very tough. Once you have a good exercise phys book, a biomechanics book, and an anatomy/physiology book, supertraining will make much more sense and you’ll actually be able to appreciate it. Without said background, you’ll only get like 10% of the material.

Has anybody read Charlie Francis’s book (or rather, e-book)?

Is it an interesting enough training system to justify buying it even if you’re not a sprinter?