Know Very Little about Hypertrophy Programs

My stats: 5’7, 185 lbs, unsure of body fat %, but its fairly low, I have 8 visible abs, though the lower tiny ones have some fat in the way to be super visible.

I have been running a 5x5 program for the past year, it is as follows:

Day A:
Squat
Strict press
Bent over row

Day B:
Deadlift
Bench press
Pull-up

My squat is at 400, strict press is at 160, deadlift is 400 as well(an old disc injury was flaring up, so I have not been training it, feels just about ready to start again though!) Bench press is a brutal 185(I spent alot of time training alone, and for much of my lifting career I was far too much of a pussy to bring the bar all the way down to my chest in fear of getting stuck, has been rectified however). I am beginning to have alot of trouble recovering from my squat in just the one day off, and I know that the deadlift was getting pretty rough too.

I am looking to put on alot more size in general, though specifically my chest, it looks pathetic. I’ve never done a body part split before, and would love to try one. Let me know if you guys have any general advice here.

Try a 3-4 day body part split with one off day, so 6 days a week.

What kind of a rep scheme would I like, and how do I go about selecting my lifts? To I progress the same way, add weight every time, or do I do it differently??

Thank you for your response, and for bearing with me here. I feel like a n00b again here. Thats good though, means I have alot more I can do.

There’s pretty much all you need to know.

^ This
I’ll give you an example of what i do anyways, i have been making consistent strength gains with it.
Day 1-Biceps/triceps
DB curls 3x10(first two warm-up, 3rd is working set) then a set of a heavier weight as many times as i can…
Example:
25x10
30x10
40x10
50x(go for 5 then keep beating it until you can get 10 and repeat)
Skull-crushers 3x10 (last set TRY and go heavier depending how #2 felt)
Incline curls 3x10
Close grip BP 3x10
Hammer Curls 3x10 then a heavy set(same strategy as regular curls)
Single Arm tricep pushdown 3x10

Day 2-Shoulders/back
Shrugs 3x10
Deadlift 5,5,3,3,3
Behind the neck press 3x10
Lat pulldowns 3x10
Front press 3x10
Face pulls 3x12
Some form of row, be it cables, DB or BB
Lateral and front raises both 3x10

Day 3-Legs
Squats 1x10(warm-up) then 1x20(working set)
Single leg machine hamstring curls 3x10
Single leg press 3x10
Calve Raises 3x10

Day 4-Chest
Bench Press 10,8,6,4,2
DB alternating arm incline press 5x8 (first two sets are warmup)
Up to down Cable flies 3x10 each adjustment…I put the cables in the middle do a low flye, middle flye, then upward flye and that is ONE repetition. I then adjust cables all the way to the top and do a middle flye then a low flye and that is ONE repetition. Then adjust cables all the way to the bottom and do a middle flye then and an upward flye and that is ONE repetition. Do all those 3 sets each.

That’s it i just repeat it and take an off day when i need. Hope this helps.

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
^ This
I’ll give you an example of what i do anyways, i have been making consistent strength gains with it.
Day 1-Biceps/triceps
DB curls 3x10(first two warm-up, 3rd is working set) then a set of a heavier weight as many times as i can…
Example:
25x10
30x10
40x10
Incline curls 3x10
Close grip BP 3x10

Day 2-Shoulders/back
Shrugs 3x10
Deadlift 5,5,3,3,3
Lat pulldowns 3x10
Front press 3x10
Face pulls 3x12

Day 3-Legs
Single leg press 3x10
Calve Raises 3x10

Day 4-Chest
Bench Press 10,8,6,4,2
Up to down Cable flies 3x10 each adjustment…I put the cables in the middle do a low flye, middle flye, then upward flye and that is ONE repetition. I then adjust cables all the way to the top and do a middle flye then a low flye and that is ONE repetition. Then adjust cables all the way to the bottom and do a middle flye then and an upward flye and that is ONE repetition. Do all those 3 sets each.

That’s it i just repeat it and take an off day when i need. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Why the huge disparity in volume between your upper body work and lower body work?

You’d likely benefit from more volume on your lower body lifts. One work set for squats doesn’t make sense for a beginner.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
^ This
Day 1-Biceps/triceps
Example:
25x10
30x10
40x10
Incline curls 3x10
Close grip BP 3x10

Day 2-Shoulders/back
Shrugs 3x10
Deadlift 5,5,3,3,3
Lat pulldowns 3x10
Front press 3x10
Face pulls 3x12

Day 3-Legs
Single leg press 3x10
Calve Raises 3x10

Day 4-Chest
Bench Press 10,8,6,4,2

That’s it i just repeat it and take an off day when i need. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Why the huge disparity in volume between your upper body work and lower body work?

You’d likely benefit from more volume on your lower body lifts. One work set for squats doesn’t make sense for a beginner.
[/quote]

Honestly, the 1x20 on squats works better for me than say 4x5 with heavier weight. I do increase weight on the 1x20 every week. It’s just what works best for me.

Guys, I didn’t mean to seem ungrateful by not posting, thank you very much.