Knoppix/ Dcfldd File Recovery

is there anyway to delete files in windows so that knoppix file recovery software cannot recover it?

Look for file deletion or “file shredding” software that uses the Guttman 35-pass method.

Make sure the software flushes the data to disk between each pass to prevent caching from interfering with the process.

If you’re selling the disk, some versions of this type of software can do a sector by sector disk shred too.

thanks once again, pookie. are you the resident techie? you seem to have the answer to all my technologic queries.

[quote]BJJRaver wrote:
thanks once again, pookie. are you the resident techie? you seem to have the answer to all my technologic queries.[/quote]

I’m sure quite a few people could’ve answered your question. I just happened to be the FRN (first responding nerd) in this case. :^)

If your that worried about history/files, go purchase a full disk encryption program from pgp or similar.

[quote]maxx power wrote:
If your that worried about history/files, go purchase a full disk encryption program from pgp or similar.
[/quote]

Or get a good freeware disk shredder like pookie says. And not one that just deletes the file.

The really good ones delete the file and then rewrite all over the space with random data over and over so everything is garbled.

Here is a freware Program I found just by looking through google:

Simple File Shredder 2.2

You could also find one that boots in Dos or similar environment (BartPE) and completely wipe the disk.

And for those curious about 5 pass, 7 pass and the Guttman 35 pass (generally overkill, but guaranteed to make data unrecoverable for all types of media encoding) see Guttman’s original 1996 paper on the subject: Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory