Knife Defense

Robert, first let me dispell the myth that some people have regarding the Ninja in terms of weaponry; the Ninja were (and still are) 100% focused on effectiveness and practicality, hence if you gave/give someone who practices real Ninjutsu the option between going into a life or death situation with a Kusairgama and an M4, they are going to choose the M4. For most of their history though the Ninja were of the peasant class and thus did not have access to the superior weaponry of their day; their primary use was also espionage even at later periods in their history. Thus they had to rely more on deception, surprise, disguise, camouflage, and stealth to overcome superior odds, superiorly trained adversaries, or superior weaponry.

To this end they often hid weapons in common or inconspicuous tools or in other weapons. Kama were a common tool used for reaping rice and therefore would have been a readily available tool for the peasant class to access and possessing/carrying one would likely not have raised suspicion. By hiding a chain (Kusari) in the handle the Ninja could significantly increase their range or ensnare the swords/weapons of a Samurai if forced to do combat (which they generally tried to avoid or if they were forced to do so were usually looking to escape or cause damage and escape rather than going “toe to toe”). So they weren’t necessarily designed for all out battlefield combat like the Katana, Japanese Long Bow, or Naginata, but instead more as weapons of surprise, multi-purpose, and accessibility.

A good comparison would be comparing today’s CIA/espionage agents to today’s Marines. Both have effective weaponry, but neither one’s weapons would be great in the other’s arena of application.

So, no I would not rather have a Kusarigama than say a 9mm if I had to defend my life or the life of a loved one, but I can still appreciate the concepts behind a kusarigama and how those can translate to other combination weapons, and could use one effectively if I had access to one.

Idaho, I would definitely be looking to utilize some form of improvised projectile weapon (my jacket, my car keys, any kind of drink in my hands preferably a hot beverage, my backpack/suitcase/briefcase/etc…) to throw at the assailant, or in the case of my jacket or perhaps belt/shirt to use them as an improvised flexible weapon to whip at his face/eyes to create a distraction to allow me to close on him more successfully and then look to control the weapon while attacking his vitals (eyes, throat, groin, and/or brain) ASAP until I was either able to disarm him and gain access to the hatchet myself (in which case I would be hoping he was smart enough to then run rather than making me kill him with it), or incapacitate him enough that I felt safe escaping the scene.

Then, once I had gained access to the weapon or did damage and made distance I would consider accessing another better weapon (firearm, tazer, etc…) if need be, but not before, not in that situation, not enough time.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Robert, first let me dispell the myth that some people have regarding the Ninja in terms of weaponry; the Ninja were (and still are) 100% focused on effectiveness and practicality, hence if you gave/give someone who practices real Ninjutsu the option between going into a life or death situation with a Kusairgama and an M4, they are going to choose the M4. For most of their history though the Ninja were of the peasant class and thus did not have access to the superior weaponry of their day; their primary use was also espionage even at later periods in their history. Thus they had to rely more on deception, surprise, disguise, camouflage, and stealth to overcome superior odds, superiorly trained adversaries, or superior weaponry.

To this end they often hid weapons in common or inconspicuous tools or in other weapons. Kama were a common tool used for reaping rice and therefore would have been a readily available tool for the peasant class to access and possessing/carrying one would likely not have raised suspicion. By hiding a chain (Kusari) in the handle the Ninja could significantly increase their range or ensnare the swords/weapons of a Samurai if forced to do combat (which they generally tried to avoid or if they were forced to do so were usually looking to escape or cause damage and escape rather than going “toe to toe”). So they weren’t necessarily designed for all out battlefield combat like the Katana, Japanese Long Bow, or Naginata, but instead more as weapons of surprise, multi-purpose, and accessibility.

A good comparison would be comparing today’s CIA/espionage agents to today’s Marines. Both have effective weaponry, but neither one’s weapons would be great in the other’s arena of application.

So, no I would not rather have a Kusarigama than say a 9mm if I had to defend my life or the life of a loved one, but I can still appreciate the concepts behind a kusarigama and how those can translate to other combination weapons, and could use one effectively if I had access to one.

[/quote]

Thanks for the answer. I think I am tracking.

I am somewhat versed in history so I get the “ninjas didn’t wear distinctive PJ’s around” and associated points. I have just been totally unimpressed with using a kama as a weapon if there is much else instead.

My question isn’t so much kama or kusarigama vs M4/AR pattern or even vs 9mm(whichever carbine, SMG, or pistol) but kama/kusarigama vs sword or even hatchet, hammer, ect. I can see if the choice was kama vs finger nails and harsh language that I end up rocking the short scythe. So I guess my questions should have been phrased:

Assume artificial/duel conditions. Take the “clandestine” out of it. Is a kama or kusarigama a better weapon than a sword, machete, ax, or even claw hammer?

Because I have heard kobudo practitioners espouse how awesome they are, and they definitely look cool. Nothing I have SEEN though, test cutting, forms, formal technique demo, and even some sparring with training weapons has me thinking they are terribly special.

I am not trying to push an agenda, but I am basically asking because I figure you and your crew have a good enough B.S. Meter to answer.

Regards,

Robert A

Well it would depend on the conditions of this hypothetical duel.

If I had the chain out and accessed in one hand and the Kama in the other hand and a bunch of distance (at least 15 feet) I would take the kusurigama over any of those other weapons. The reason being that the chain on the kusurigama gives you a good 10+ feet of range and ability to inflict damage (and I’ve buried the end of the chain in wood targets before and busted holes in plywood while swinging it so while I haven’t actually caved in someone’s head with one I have no doubt that I could do so if need be) while, other than by throwing the other weapons (which definitely could be effective, especially the hatchet/ax), in which case you lose access to them for follow up attacks, they have no ability to do damage from such a range.

You can also ensnare the opponent’s weapon with the chain and either disarm them with it or or at least occupy/control it long enough to use the Kama if you do want to close the distance. Also, although I agree that the Katana is a much better cutting tool, you can definitely hack, bludgeon, or stab effectively with a Kama.

Now, without the chain I would not choose the Kama over the Katana. I would also choose the katana if in a more enclosed space or at a closer range.

So in the case of it being a kusurigama, having the weapons already fully accessed, and having a nice open space in which to do combat my order of the weapons you mentioned would be:

1. Kusurigama
  2. Katana
  3. Hatchet
  4. Hammer

If it was just a Kama, in an enclosed space/range, or you didn’t have the weapon fully accessed I would choose:

1. Katana
  2. Hatchet
  3. Kama
  4. Hammer

A side note on flexible weapons: I used to work an off duty security job at a large Latino country bar. A lot of the males would wear leather belts with large, rodeo style belt buckles. If a fight ever broke out, you had to quell it quick before someone took off their belt, and started swinging it like a medieval ball and chain. The results of being hit in the face/head were nasty. Never looked at anyone wearing a large belt buckle the same after that job.

Sento,

Thanks for that. It answered my question. Either the people trying to wow me with the kusarigama in the past didn’t have it, or they were keeping some secrets. I am not sure which is more likely. I am still massively underwhelmed by the cutting/piercing potential of kamas, but I admit if that is all you have then you dance with the gal that brung you.

My hatred of flexible/“combination” weapons comes from years of spinning them around, coupled by the fact they seemed so damn unforgiving on defense. For example in any kind of uneven weapon sparring I would wind up just trying to set up one angle of strike and use my footwork to put that angle where I needed it to intersect attacks/make hits. Picture the downward diagonal swing(I don’t know what number you might attach to that. Damn near everyone uses different numbers to describe 9, or a different number, angles), a pair of nunchaku, and a sort of “Bruce Lee” ready position with a lot of scampering around. Worked fine against folks I didn’t need to scamper with when I had a more rigid weapon. Fell flat against people who I could barely hang with.

Thank you again for your time. Sorry it took so long to respond. Windows crashed on my computer and that has eaten up my non-work desk time.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]idaho wrote:
A side note on flexible weapons: I used to work an off duty security job at a large Latino country bar. A lot of the males would wear leather belts with large, rodeo style belt buckles. If a fight ever broke out, you had to quell it quick before someone took off their belt, and started swinging it like a medieval ball and chain. The results of being hit in the face/head were nasty. Never looked at anyone wearing a large belt buckle the same after that job. [/quote]

I heard this trick related with military dress belts (Navy?) and sharpened brass buckles.