T Nation

Knife Control

Its time for Congress to step in and take steps to end knife violence. I don’t understand why we don’t already have a strict ban on assault knives, universal background checks for knife purchasers, and a comprehensive knife-owner registry with a list of every knife owner to prevent this type of mayhem. If you disagree you are disrespecting these helpless victims of knife violence and are generally a heartless human being.

Don’t even joke about that. They’ll do it in MD I swear!


I honestly feel naked if I leave my apartment without this guy.

One of my co-workers sons goes to this college. Many students were asking to have the right to carry. They could have stopped this POS real quickly.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
Its time for Congress to step in and take steps to end knife violence. I don’t understand why we don’t already have a strict ban on assault knives, universal background checks for knife purchasers, and a comprehensive knife-owner registry with a list of every knife owner to prevent this type of mayhem. If you disagree you are disrespecting these helpless victims of knife violence and are generally a heartless human being.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/09/justice/texas-college-stabbing/index.html[/quote]

“If we can save even one life…”

I knew that this would come up for discussion here after I heard about it. You do realize that this only helps the case for gun control right? Meanwhile the breaking news just above that on the same page a 4-year-old shot a 6-year-old in the head, the other day I read a story of how a 4-year-old shot a 47-year-old woman.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
One of my co-workers sons goes to this college. Many students were asking to have the right to carry. They could have stopped this POS real quickly.[/quote]

Honestly–and I’m not a “take all the guns away” guy when it comes to society at large–my experiences on college campuses, which have been many and recent, compel me to believe that guns should be completely and entirely absent from them. I once saw a fight break out between two skinny-fat bro-types in the middle of the street in front of a bar. When one of them pinned the other down, he stuck his fingers down his own mouth and threw up in the other dude’s face.

Changed my outlook on a lot of things.

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
One of my co-workers sons goes to this college. Many students were asking to have the right to carry. They could have stopped this POS real quickly.[/quote]

Honestly–and I’m not a “take all the guns away” guy when it comes to society at large–my experiences on college campuses, which have been many and recent, compel me to believe that guns should be completely and entirely absent from them. I once saw a fight break out between two skinny-fat bro-types in the middle of the street in front of a bar. When one of them pinned the other down, he stuck his fingers down his own mouth and threw up in the other dude’s face.

Changed my outlook on a lot of things.[/quote]

You have to admit that would be one hell of a finishing move on a video game.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
No, I for one don’t realize that at all. It would be asinine to think it would.

One reason is had guns been freely kept and borne on that college campus a knife wielding psycho would not have stood as much of a chance on his bloody rampage. You do realize that, right?

[/quote]

What do you think would have been the outcome had this man used a gun and not a knife? Be honest now push.

[quote] pushharder wrote:
In addition to that we have the recent news story of another baseball bat murder: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/briefs/x1272699483/Murder-trial-to-start-after-plea-deal-rejected

…as well as the baseball bat mass murder back in 2004 in Deltona, FL:

Now I suppose you think these murders somehow helps make the case for gun control too, right?[/quote]

Show me some instances in which a 4-year-old accidentally killed others with a baseball bat and we can talk.

*Edit I am aware that there are instances in which children have been accidentally killed by baseball bats. But my original message was to point to the irony of a man attacking 14 people with a knife and the express purpose of killing, and (hopefully this does not change) failing; yet a 4-year-old can accidentally kill someone with a gun.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

Honestly–and I’m not a “take all the guns away” guy when it comes to society at large–my experiences on college campuses, which have been many and recent, compel me to believe that guns should be completely and entirely absent from them…

[/quote]

How would you propose to insure this “completeness” and “entirety?”
[/quote]

The same way cocaine is “completely and entirely” absent from the dorms.

If somebody wants badly enough to bring a gun, or a pet, or a guitar case full of coke, or a bunch of snuff porn into their dorm room and hide it under their bed, then that somebody can probably figure out a way to do it.

Which shouldn’t stop anybody from discouraging some of the least responsible people on Earth from arming themselves in between date rapes and benders (that’s only a slight exaggeration in a lot of cases).

Also, attendance at university is very much voluntary, so if somebody really thinks they’re gonna need their gun on them at all times to fight off would-be Orwellian overlords over the course of the next four years, they don’t have to go.

Edited

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]smh23 wrote:
Also, attendance at university is very much voluntary, so if somebody really thinks they’re gonna need their gun on them at all times to fight off would-be Orwellian overlords over the course of the next four years, they don’t have to go.

Edited[/quote]

I’ve always hated this kind of argument. It could just as easily be made in the exact opposite manner. Mainly, students should be free to carry guns, if YOU don’t like other students carrying, you don’t have to go.

The default state, not having a law against carrying, actually has the stronger argument in that regard. If the argument stands that “if you don’t like it don’t go there” guns should never have been pro actively banned to suit the students that didn’t want other to carry.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
No, I for one don’t realize that at all. It would be asinine to think it would.

One reason is had guns been freely kept and borne on that college campus a knife wielding psycho would not have stood as much of a chance on his bloody rampage. You do realize that, right?

[/quote]

What do you think would have been the outcome had this man used a gun and not a knife? Be honest now push.

[quote] pushharder wrote:
In addition to that we have the recent news story of another baseball bat murder: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/briefs/x1272699483/Murder-trial-to-start-after-plea-deal-rejected

…as well as the baseball bat mass murder back in 2004 in Deltona, FL:

Now I suppose you think these murders somehow helps make the case for gun control too, right?[/quote]

Show me some instances in which a 4-year-old accidentally killed others with a baseball bat and we can talk.

*Edit I am aware that there are instances in which children have been accidentally killed by baseball bats. But my original message was to point to the irony of a man attacking 14 people with a knife and the express purpose of killing, and (hopefully this does not change) failing; yet a 4-year-old can accidentally kill someone with a gun.
[/quote]

BeefEater: I get what you’re saying I do, but why does the deaths of these kids = a need for more gun control? This is a tragedy already. What should happen, imo, is the person responsible for the weapon should go to jail. I think it would be more beneficial to society to charge the adult whose reponsibility it is to secure the firearm used by one child to hurt another with a crime. Not just take the guns away.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:
Also, attendance at university is very much voluntary, so if somebody really thinks they’re gonna need their gun on them at all times to fight off would-be Orwellian overlords over the course of the next four years, they don’t have to go.

Edited[/quote]

I’ve always hated this kind of argument. It could just as easily be made in the exact opposite manner. Mainly, students should be free to carry guns, if YOU don’t like other students carrying, you don’t have to go.

The default state, not having a law against carrying, actually has the stronger argument in that regard. If the argument stands that “if you don’t like it don’t go there” guns should never have been pro actively banned to suit the students that didn’t want other to carry.[/quote]

It’s not me, it’s the university.

It’s their show and they get to tell their students how they’re going to run it.

And if they say no guns, then no guns.

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:
Also, attendance at university is very much voluntary, so if somebody really thinks they’re gonna need their gun on them at all times to fight off would-be Orwellian overlords over the course of the next four years, they don’t have to go.

Edited[/quote]

I’ve always hated this kind of argument. It could just as easily be made in the exact opposite manner. Mainly, students should be free to carry guns, if YOU don’t like other students carrying, you don’t have to go.

The default state, not having a law against carrying, actually has the stronger argument in that regard. If the argument stands that “if you don’t like it don’t go there” guns should never have been pro actively banned to suit the students that didn’t want other to carry.[/quote]

It’s not me, it’s the university.

It’s their show and they get to tell their students how they’re going to run it.

And if they say no guns, then no guns.[/quote]

Well, I think that probably depends on the school. I was under the impression that there were laws in places banning them in schools.

But either way, If they say guns, then guns. So why have a stance on the issue? You are speaking out against active involvement of the students in shaping the school’s they attend.