T Nation

Knees Going in When Squatting

My knees seem to be both pointing inward when I am back squatting, more so with heaiver weights. Is there a muscle imbalance here that can be corrected by throwing in some more exercises?, or do I just need to go lighter and practice stricter form? I have the same problem when doing dumbbell deadlifts(knees going in). Please help me diagnose this problem. Thanks.

It’s probably because your inner thighs are relatively stronger than your glutes, and so take over during the difficult part of the squat (around your sticking point).

This is bad, because it puts bad pressure on your knees, and it disengages the glutes from being the main workhorse in the lift.

Some things to try to correct this:

1. glute activation drills before squatting.
  2. intentionally keep legs wide when squatting.
  3. intentionally keep weight over heel when squatting (helps activate glutes).

Thanks, and yes this is bad for my knees my left is sore right now…

(just looking to clarify)
So to correct this I should try:

RDL before squatting or some back ext. supermans, or any more examples of glute activation.

focus on staying wide: maybe use a wider stance slightly point toes out?

keep weight over heel: like put some 5lb plates under the pad of my foot?

(just looking to clarify)

I think wide stance toes out squatting hits the hams more than quads, is this true?

[quote] gbock wrote:
So to correct this I should try:

1. RDL before squatting or some back ext. supermans, or any more examples of glute activation.

2. focus on staying wide: maybe use a wider stance slightly point toes out?

3. keep weight over heel: like put some 5lb plates under the pad of my foot?
    [/quote]

In my experience, the best glute-activation exercise is to lay on your back legs straight, put one foot next to your other knee, and use that foot to push yourself off the ground.

The point of ‘activation’ exercises, though, is to familiarize yourself with how it feels if the muscle is working.

So you get a good idea of how it feels if your glutes are firing, then you squat, making sure to keep your legs bowed out (not unnaturally so, but…just so they don’t angle in). Wide stance squats are a good way to do this, because it’s hard to bring your knees closer together when they’re pointed so far away from each other.

Don’t put plates under your footpad. I don’t think that’ll do anything except throw off your balance.

[quote]TheKrown wrote:
I think wide stance toes out squatting hits the hams more than quads, is this true?
[/quote]
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: It does place more emphasis on the posterior chain than a narrow stance squat, but it’s worth pointing out that even shoulder-distant feet placement will place more emphasis on the glutes and hips than is ordinarily given credit for.