Knees Cracking During Squat

Is it normal to hear the knees cracking during squats? Does it mean that something’s not right?

I believe my form is good (though I plan on making a brief video and posting for comments)

My knees make all kinds of ugly sounds. I think it’s normal.

My left knee cracks constantly when squatting (even bodyweight squats). I’d be interested in hearing others’ feedback as well.

Both of mine. I do a deep bodyweight squat before my workout to get the ‘kinks’ out. Plus it would be distracting to hear that during a heavy set.

My knees dont crack during squatting anymore. They used to crack when I walked (I know its bad), but once I started ATG front squats, they stopped.

My whole body sounds like a bag of popcorn being sat on by an elephant, when I squat, stretch, run, get out of bed. so for me cracking and popping is normal.

my knees do it sometimes

glad to know im not the only one :smiley:

LoL thats kinda funny that all of are just like…“O ya Im the same way…sounds like popcorn” and dont think anything of it.

Unless there has been an injury to the knee causing a tear in the miniscal cartilage, which are shock obsorbing crescent shaped cartilages in the knees Its prob just a lack of cartilage. Less commonly, you could have a condition from birth called discoid (disc shape) meniscus in which loud clicks may be heard but no treatment is required for this condition unless there is a tear in the discoid meniscus which causes pain.

I have all soheard that the cracking is neither good or bad, something to do with nitrogen bubbles being released in your joints…but thats neither here nor there

The cracking shouldn’t be a problem, UNLESS you feel some pain or soreness with it.

Meniscus injury is very common among weightlifters

I started wearing headphones and I have not heard it since. Works for me !!

ahahahhah

i get my knees sore but that goes away, its just soreness i think from the muscles?

[quote]matt1tt wrote:
I started wearing headphones and I have not heard it since. Works for me !![/quote]

HAHAHA there ya go Problem solved

Don’t know if this will apply to anyone else, but…

…my knees started cracking a lot in my mid-forties, and the sound went away when I started using Flameout regularly. If I skip Flameout for a few days, I notice the sound again even when just walking on stairs. But it goes away again once I’m back on Flameout.

wow, thank you all for the responses, apparently I’m not the only one then!!

I took a week off of lifting, and the knees started cracking the first day I got back to the gym, so maybe it’ll go away…

… otherwise I’ll take matt1tt’s advice and turn up the music!!

My knees don’t crack if I go just a bit below parallell, but if I do full squats they crack. Does anyone else have this squatting-depth-related problem?

One of my knees (left) cracks, and is a little rough “feeling” during squats. I bought one of lifting knee sleeves so I don’t hear or feel the noise. The noise was distracting coming out of the hole, not a good time to be distracted!

My knees make a lot of noise too. I was worried about it since I am now in my 40’s and started lifting again about 6 months ago. So I read up on it. The jest of what I read is if there is no pain then it is a pretty common thing. If there is pain you may have one a several medical conditions. So see a doctor.

I took it easy on working my legs until my confidence built up. After a few months of not hurting my knees I upped the weight and intensity. I still train my legs with caution but so far no problems.

I was doing step ups and lunges the other day and noticed that my left knee was not making any noise. So maybe the training is helping whatever is causing the noise.

I found my knees only really cracked when i went ATG with a super narrow stance. Idk what your’s looks like, but i widened it out and the cracking stopped.

mine cracks when i’m sitting still doing nothing.

[quote]CBar29 wrote:
I found my knees only really cracked when i went ATG with a super narrow stance. Idk what your’s looks like, but i widened it out and the cracking stopped. [/quote]

I noticed the same thing. I think I was just using bad technique and once I changed a few things and widened the stance, I feel like I’m squatting better and I don’t hear any cracking anymore, except for maybe the first one.