Kneeling Tricep Extension

I’ve added oerhead rope handle cable Tricep extensions to my routine and have been doing them for a few weeks. I’ve noticed that I occasionally feel a weird rubbing/clicking in my elbows while doing this. Is this known to be a troublesome exercise?

“The only trouble with doing dumbbell over the head tricep extensions or EZ bar tricep extensions over the head is… they both wipe out your elbows in about 2 weeks.”
That’s taken from the linked article.

I just saw a link to this article from another thread:
http://www.larryscott.com/bio/newsletter/97summer_2.cfm

It explains how to do Kneeling Tricep Extension and claims that they are godly for building the long head of the Tricep. What say you, T-Nation? Does anybody have experience with this? What do you think of it? Should I replace the overhead rope extensions with this?

Does anybody have a video or a better description than provided in the article? I’m still not sure of how exactly to do it.
Thanks

i did em once and didnt feel a very good stetch or burn so i havent done them again.

from what i understand you get your elbows on a bench while you kneel down so that from the cable tension your arms should be behind your head. you then simply push your arms down to extend. ive never had a problem with the muscle this is supposed to specifically target though.

X2

I’d also like to know about this one. My elbows are killing me from skullcrushers and this is supposed to be good on the joints. And is the tricep conversion kit worth the money?

yea, my elbows click all the time…benching, pushups, tri ext of any sort (esp overhead DB and rope extensions).

As long as no pain, take some joint support and fish oil (Flameout if u want, i normally just go generic)and keep going. My tris are one of my strong points too. I just keep going up in weight. Dips might help as well. See if you do not get clicking then…dips are better than extensions anyways.

I dont know if its from cartilage or what, but im in the same boat

[quote]tg2hbk4488 wrote:
yea, my elbows click all the time…benching, pushups, tri ext of any sort (esp overhead DB and rope extensions).

As long as no pain, take some joint support and fish oil (Flameout if u want, i normally just go generic)and keep going. My tris are one of my strong points too. I just keep going up in weight. Dips might help as well. See if you do not get clicking then…dips are better than extensions anyways.

I dont know if its from cartilage or what, but im in the same boat[/quote]

How long have you been training ?
Been locking out on all pushing exercises by any chance ?

As for the exercise, you need to do it with kind of a pullover/extension motion, like PJR Pullovers.

I love it, as my elbows kill me during skullcrushers and such (always been that way, even at the beginning of my lifting career 8 years ago)

I do these as part of my tri session.

I find they place a fair bit of pressure on my shoulders when I try to extend my head down to get the full stretch, but other than that, they seem to work the long head ok.

When I combine them with lying ezy bar skull crushers, where I don’t bring the bar to 90 degrees, the long head is felt far more than on any other Tri mix I’ve used.

I think they’re good as an addition to the mix.

I found when doing those is I hurt my shouldersand elbows also.

what I do and it works great is these right here.

they burn like crazy in my tris and I have little strain on any other part of my arms or shoulder.

That’s what I’ve been doing that makes my right elbow click a bit as I get closer to the bent arm position.

I’ve been using a rope. I’m going to try the 45 degree V-bar that they recommend in the video and see what happens.

No, I don’t lock out. Keeping tension on the muscle is important. It is just when I go past like 75 degrees flexion it clicks. It doesn’t cause pain, so I haven’t worried about it. I’ll ask my doctor next time I go.

I do those as well Nich, but they don’t seem to hit the long head as much as I’m looking for whereas the kneeling ones do. Plus it reminds me to do some shoulder rotation work. :slight_smile:

[quote]Duke wrote:
I do those as well Nich, but they don’t seem to hit the long head as much as I’m looking for whereas the kneeling ones do. Plus it reminds me to do some shoulder rotation work. :)[/quote]

ya that is true they do add impressive size to my tris though.
I notice when looking down on my shoulders for whatever reason they get bigger by the day.

I will actually try the kneeling ones today again see if I can get a few out. they usually mess with my shoulder but last few weeks my tris and delts have blown up so that may take care of the discomfort.

the standing ones putting the stack down is a challange for me.
have to twist with the rope taught
there is a “no slam” rule so I have to be very careful keeping my balance sometimes is tricky :wink:

Kneeling triceps extensions are one of my favourite exercisesd for triceps. I also like decline skullcrushers.

[quote]Nich wrote:

there is a “no slam” rule so I have to be very careful keeping my balance sometimes is tricky :wink:
[/quote]

Seriously? Where do you train… in a library?
Why do they make these silly rules?

[quote]Duke wrote:
Nich wrote:

Why do they make these silly rules?[/quote]

commercial gym, one of the smaller chains but its a “24 hour” place
I love going in the middle the night so I can have all kinds of plates unracked and machines taken up. as long as I clean up after myself the kid there wont argue with what I do.

but during the day if I go I was “talked” to about doing rack pulls once because it was too much weight and was frightning people.
how in the world does 400 pounds frighten people?

[quote]Nich wrote:
Duke wrote:
Nich wrote:

Why do they make these silly rules?

commercial gym, one of the smaller chains but its a “24 hour” place
I love going in the middle the night so I can have all kinds of plates unracked and machines taken up. as long as I clean up after myself the kid there wont argue with what I do.
but during the day if I go I was “talked” to about doing rack pulls once because it was too much weight and was frightning people.
how in the world does 400 pounds frighten people?
[/quote]

Especially since that’s only about 100 pounds more than what the majority of U.S. citizens seem to be weighing these days. At an estimated 60% BF :wink:

Oh, regarding the actual topic of this thread:
I forgot to mention that doing them as a kind of Pullover and Press (elbows out somewhat) motion does the trick for me.

Doing them in actual extension “keep your elbows in and only move your forearms” textbook form only works in books and articles.
And it hurts in the wrong way, too.

The only tricep exercise that hurts my elbow is the reverse preacher curl machine.