T Nation

Knee Wraps

@CT I wear rehband knee sleeves but I was wondering what your opinion was on knee wraps?

I like knee sleeves (rehband or Tommy Kono) but not knee wraps, at least not often.

They help too much IMHO and from my experience (I used them at one point in my OL career when my knees hurt) you actually lose:

1. the capacity to utilize the stretch reflex since the wraps actually act like an artificial stretch reflex

2. strength in the bottom position since your body learns to rely more on the wraps

3. quads size, especially VMO since the wrap stabilizes the knees for you

Wraps give you “artificial strength”. They allow you to lift weights that your body isn’t able to lift by itself (probably gives you a 5-10% boost). In that regard using them, IMHO, is kinda like always using a bench shirt in training.

A good friend of mine asked me about them and I told him what I just told you…

It’s okay to use them INFREQUENTLY for allow you to use an overload or something. But NOT on a regular basis.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
I like knee sleeves (rehband or Tommy Kono) but not knee wraps, at least not often.

They help too much IMHO and from my experience (I used them at one point in my OL career when my knees hurt) you actually lose:

1. the capacity to utilize the stretch reflex since the wraps actually act like an artificial stretch reflex

2. strength in the bottom position since your body learns to rely more on the wraps

Wraps give you “artificial strength”. They allow you to lift weights that your body isn’t able to lift by itself (probably gives you a 5-10% boost). In that regard using them, IMHO, is kinda like always using a bench shirt in training.

It’s okay to use them INFREQUENTLY for allow you to use an overload or something. But NOT on a regular basis.[/quote]

so does that mean knee sleeves give you some support without affecting the the above factors you just mentioned?

[quote]concepthenry wrote:

It’s okay to use them INFREQUENTLY for allow you to use an overload or something. But NOT on a regular basis.[/quote]

so does that mean knee sleeves give you some support without affecting the the above factors you just mentioned?
[/quote]

They mainly keep the lunées warm. They provide some support and might very slightly increase performance but nowhere near wraps

[quote]concepthenry wrote:

[/quote]

They mainly keep the lun�©es warm. They provide some support and might very slightly increase performance but nowhere near wraps
[/quote]

thanks ct!