T Nation

Knee Wraps

How do you guys(and gals)wrap your knees? I just got 2.5 meter APT knee wraps and also wrist wraps.

I read an article on criticalbench.com but found it confusing.

The two powerlifters I know at work are on the opposite shift so I wont see them for a while.

I am not planning on squating with them yet. I wear knee sleeves now and am still making progress. I just want to know the proper way to wrap my kness.

Thanks

Kind of hard to explain without visuals…but start about 6 inches below the knee and wrap once, then cross it on top of the knee to 6 inches above the knee. Then do figure eights until you’re out of the wrap. I hope that makes sense and I hope that helps.

i followed milans tips look him up on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCfruLGBv-0

This is a great tutorial by APT on the different ways to wrap knees. Check it out and find the way that works best for you.

I roll my wraps up first. I keep my knees locked and my quad flexed while I wrap. I usually rub a block of chalk on the area to be wrapped to prevent slippage.

I start about 6 to 8 inches above my knee cap leaving a short bit of wrap hanging loose. Then I work my way down, pulling all the stretch out the wrap with each turn and overlapping each turn about an inch.

Just below my knee cap, I start my way back up. I lay a couple turns around my knee, leaving most of the remaining material to wrap around my quad/hams.

I then tie the end to the tab of wrap I left at the beginning in an overhand knot- leaving little rabbit ears of wrap material. This is little different than what most folks do. Most lifters will tuck the end under one of the turns of the wrap. I always thought this was a pain in the ass to do and it makes the wrap prettty hard to get off. With the tied method, you just pull one of the ends and the wrap pretty much just pops off your knee. This is real nice, especially when you have a painfully tight wrap on.

I feel like the most effective wrapping involves really pinning the lower part of the hamstring to the bone. If done right, this pretty uncomfortable- but well worth the pain. I don’t waste any wrap below my knee- it really does not give much support there.

Also, in a contest setting, there is a limit to how high and low you can wrap- six inches either way from the knee cap as I recall. However, if the wrapped area doesn’t look long, then judges are less likely to question how high the leg is wrapped.

i wrap my knee similiar to Pinto but in the opposite fashion. I agree that wrap below the knee is useless.

I start my wrap right where your Tibia sticks out just below the knee cap. I call this the anchor. i straighten out my leg fully and wrap once anchoring in the bottom. then i wrap around my leg and up over the knee cap being sure to not leave any gaps. i don’t wrap excessively tight over then knee cap. once i pass the knee cap, then i really start to torque it down. depending on my attempt is how tight i torque it down. if it’s a max attempt, i pull it as tight as i can get it. i overlap about half the wrap on the way up.

i know if i did it right because the wrap will end on top of my thigh. i then tuck the end under the last wrap and pull it to the back of my thigh. it can be a bitch to get off but at least i know it’s not going to come undone during the set.

Great information, guys.

I’ve done the twist-off like Pinto, and currently wrap mine more like maraudermeat. I like being able to pull the wraps off quickly, but when I am wrapping myself it wastes too much wrap for me to do the twist. I’m still working on getting them tight enough when I wrap myself. Meets are almost a vacation, because I get my coach to wrap for me!

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Great information, guys.

I’ve done the twist-off like Pinto, and currently wrap mine more like maraudermeat. I like being able to pull the wraps off quickly, but when I am wrapping myself it wastes too much wrap for me to do the twist. I’m still working on getting them tight enough when I wrap myself. Meets are almost a vacation, because I get my coach to wrap for me![/quote]

Yeah- that’s one downside to tying it off- you give up a little wrap. I never thought it was a big deal using 2.5 or 3 meter wraps. But if your fed limits you to a 2 meter wrap, I reckon every inch counts.

Oddly enough, it seems like it’s mostly the USAPL/IPF lifters that wrap this way. At least those are the only other guys I’ve seen doing this.

late reply but thanks for the info.

Just bought wraps today and tried them this afternoon. Info provided above is a big help.