T Nation

Knee Wraps Sound Good?

alright so my knees are fucking trashed.

whenever i finish an intense leg session and i try walking my right knee will give in periodically. like ill be walking it my leg like bends backwards…not sure if thats the best way to describe it but it basically just gives n.

also is it bad to fully lockout on the legpress for breathing reps? cause i usally lock my leg completely then put my hands on my knees to give more support while i hold it.

i also noticed yesterday on the Hacksquat (cause my lower spine was killing me too much to legpress) that if i leave my hands on my knees i can get a lot lower and basically break parallel with a weight i could usually only do half reps with.

so im guessing that knee wraps would give my knees the same support im giving them with my hands but can i just buy them from Walgreens or do i really need some powerlifter certified wraps? thanks guys.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
alright so my knees are fucking trashed.

whenever i finish an intense leg session and i try walking my right knee will give in periodically. like ill be walking it my leg like bends backwards…not sure if thats the best way to describe it but it basically just gives n.
[/quote]
Any chance that you’re squatting with your knees out in front? [quote]

also is it bad to fully lockout on the legpress for breathing reps? cause i usally lock my leg completely then put my hands on my knees to give more support while i hold it.

[/quote] Locking out while catching your breath on squats should be ok, but on the legpress you’re using a LOT more weight, I just lock the sled while catching my breath.
I’d leave the hands where they belong, btw.[quote]

i also noticed yesterday on the Hacksquat (cause my lower spine was killing me too much to legpress) that if i leave my hands on my knees i can get a lot lower and basically break parallel with a weight i could usually only do half reps with.

[/quote] Why was you lower back killing you? It shouldn’t even matter on the leg press… If that exercise affects your lower back, then you’re likely going down too far (past what your hip-mobility can tolerate).
Danger ahead…

Also, dude, your legs are supposed to do the work here (Hack Squat)… Once again, leave your hands where they are supposed to be.

[quote]

so im guessing that knee wraps would give my knees the same support im giving them with my hands but can i just buy them from Walgreens or do i really need some powerlifter certified wraps? thanks guys.[/quote]

APT neoprenes rock for elbows (on skullcrushers and heavy cgp’s), I don’t use knee wraps much… Several powerlifters have told me that they press the patella against the joint or something like that,

causing it to not track right anymore (don’t quote me on it… I’m sure you can find some proper article on this shit that explains it correctly, they told me that a long time ago).

If you don’t do heavy ME work, then I don’t think using knee wraps would be that grand of an idea… Just my opinion though.

My knees are absolute garbage so I wrap them up for my heavy work sets and any time I do high rep squats.

Why don’t you give your knees a break if they hurt like this? This doesn’t make sense to me. Take time off from anything involving your knees or back, work on mobility, soft tissue work ect.

Get some Rehband knee sleeves. Well worth the money. They really only provide a little bit of support (unless you intentionally buy a smaller size so they’ll be extra tight), but they will keep your knees nice and warm for the duration of your workout.

I kind of agree with HunterKiller. Granted, it’s nearly impossible to make a simple diagnosis on the internet, but I’d try cutting the volume down a little bit. As far as I’m concerned, I think knee wraps are similar to a lifting belt in the fact that it may become more of a handicap than anything.

Eventually your knee will get use to being pampered by the wraps. I’d take time to work on rehabbing (is that a verb?) your knee for a while. Listen to your body, it’ll be well worth to be careful now compared to getting utterly fucked up down the road.

If your form and everything else is in check, I would highly recommend APT Knee Sleeves. They provide a bit of support, mostly keep compression on the joint and keep it warm. I got to the point where most leg exercises caused a great deal of knee pain and the knee sleeves make them bearable again.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Get some Rehband knee sleeves. Well worth the money. They really only provide a little bit of support (unless you intentionally buy a smaller size so they’ll be extra tight), but they will keep your knees nice and warm for the duration of your workout.[/quote]

Got a link to buy? All I could find was a few sketchy sites.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Get some Rehband knee sleeves. Well worth the money. They really only provide a little bit of support (unless you intentionally buy a smaller size so they’ll be extra tight), but they will keep your knees nice and warm for the duration of your workout.

[/quote]

Here you go. I’ve made about 3-4 orders from this site, so they are reliable in my book:

http://www.jackalsgym.com/store.aspx?cat_id=RH

I also still prefer the older style knee sleeves to the newer ones (even though I think the new ones look better). The older ones are thicker and I feel don’t slip as much as the newer style does.

Hows your squat form? Knees going to far past your toes puts alot of unecessary load on the knees. I know you’ve been lifting for a little while, but a form check might be worth doing.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

Here you go. I’ve made about 3-4 orders from this site, so they are reliable in my book:

I also still prefer the older style knee sleeves to the newer ones (even though I think the new ones look better). The older ones are thicker and I feel don’t slip as much as the newer style does.[/quote]

I bought these from Jackal’s a few months back. One of the best investments I ever made. My knee pain went awat immediately and the service was unbelievably fast.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
Hows your squat form? Knees going to far past your toes puts alot of unecessary load on the knees. I know you’ve been lifting for a little while, but a form check might be worth doing.[/quote]

Sit down on your toilet. Now stand up. Notice something?

Could be that you meant the right thing though…

It’s been posted before, but this is how you squat without ruining your knees (and you may actually get some quad-size out of it!):

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=xYojAPYILEo&NR=1

So if you instead squat with your knees out in front of you and don’t “sit down” between your legs, then your form may really need some improvement.

Of course you can’t lift quite as much this way (at first, anyway).

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
Hows your squat form? Knees going to far past your toes puts alot of unecessary load on the knees. I know you’ve been lifting for a little while, but a form check might be worth doing.[/quote]

Not nearly as much of a load as not squatting to parallel or below does. Besides, because of limb length, some people simply can’t keep their knees behind their toes without putting unnecessary pressure on their lower back, because they naturally lean forward to compensate.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

I also still prefer the older style knee sleeves to the newer ones (even though I think the new ones look better). The older ones are thicker and I feel don’t slip as much as the newer style does.[/quote]

Thank you sir.

Which ones are you recommending? The Original blue knee support?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

I also still prefer the older style knee sleeves to the newer ones (even though I think the new ones look better). The older ones are thicker and I feel don’t slip as much as the newer style does.

Thank you sir.

Which ones are you recommending? The Original blue knee support? [/quote]

Yes, the original blue ones.

ill try squatting that way.

and the reason my back couldnt handle the leg press is because i use one where the seat setup sucks dick.

i also am not gnna stop using my legs because thats just not how i am. i cant sit by for a week just cause my knees suck.

so ill grab some wrap and let me check out those sites i havent yet but hopefulyl the prices aint bad if not its off to Walgreens.

Look up TKEs on the EliteFTS channel on YouTube.